1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

How the Eagles managed the cap

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by mmillman, Aug 8, 2011.

1. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    This just ticks me off. This is why Dallas needs professional football men, not oil tycoons running the team.

Club president Joe Banner explained to me Friday how the market fit into the Eagles' modus operandi. "This was a massive buyer's market,'' he said. "There were something like 500 free agents, and we knew a lot of teams that normally might be in play for many of these guys wouldn't be able to spend much because of their cap situation. So we knew there'd be some spectacular opportunities.''
    What's impressive about how Banner and GM Howie Roseman have worked the architecture of the team is that 24 of the top 26 players on the roster today are signed for at least the next two seasons. Only Vick and Jackson are not signed beyond this year from the 26 number.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/08/tour/index.html#ixzz1UTwA72m9
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,408 Messages
    8,302 Likes Received
    Only Vick and Jackson, eh?

Lose those two and you aren't the same team.

But I agree with the premise. I wish we had different folks running the front office.
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,174 Messages
    1,530 Likes Received
    Am I missing something? What does this have to do with cap management. They signed a bunch of guys and aren't over...shocking.

Danny Boy does it every year and they are perennially terrible.
  4. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    ** NEWSFLASH **

People want changes w/ JJ and folks @ the Ranch

You guys are LATE!

That is SOOOOO 1999

[IMG]
  5. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    More importantly, what does it have to do with the Cowboys beyond the Eagles being in the NFC East. Man I'm tired of seeing Eagles threads.
  6. BlueStar3398

BlueStar3398 Active Member

1,544 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Ugh! I can't stand the Eagles.

DeSean didn't show up for camp until today, so he will probably pitch a fit again next year too. :laugh1:
  7. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,094 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    If the Eagles win a Super Bowl via free agency come and talk to me until then...it is just a bunch over reaction.
  8. Maxmadden

Maxmadden Active Member

991 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    The Eagles don't manage the cap they are just one of the biggest tight wads in the NFL. They are always under the cap. Down the road all those young guys are going to jet because the Eagles will pay a free agent but they have a history of playing hard ball when it comes to their own. They are revered for their front office but they don't have a single thing to show for it.
  9. Fmart322

Fmart322 Active Member

957 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    The Eagles were always under the cap. Their fans screamed every year to bring in help when they knew they were 10 mil under the cap. This year they had to spend their money and they are fortunate that teams like Dallas, Washington and NY Giants were over the cap. The Eagles managment have always been cheap, till now, cause they had to spend.
  10. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    you are missing the point or didn't read the article. Dallas has dead money in Barber, Williams, Davis, etc........ They have no depth on the offensive line or in the secondary. Why? Because Dallas is poor at managing the cap and drafting. Whose fault is that? The GM.

Some of you will go on and on defending Jerry. As long as there is enough doing that and putting up with the product he has been putting on the field for a decade we will continue to see this once proud franchise decline.

Dallas has everything they need to contend, except the offensive line. It is not built right now to go a 16 game season. I just hope Romo, not the biggest qb in the world, doesn't get hurt again because Holland cannot pick up a blitz.
  11. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That is funny Dallas had the money to sign Nami and tried he just choose the Eagles. (So the we could not sign him is a myth)

We talked to Jenkins and thought his contract demands where stupid and they where. So many on this form are *****ing about Newman being out and hurt but are mad because the Eagles got an injury prone DE on a 5 years 25 million contract. (Try missing 17 games in 3 years)

Keep trying to make it sound like we did not have salary cap and it still will not be true.

Sorry but the Front office was smart this off season made a hard run at the one player worth it and thought they had him and he changed his mine at the last minute. Everything else was the way you handle FA
  12. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You mean just like the Eagles have depth issues on there oline and the have a glaring hole at LB and lack depth.

Keep trying to make it to what ever you want but it does not make them a better team just because they got all the big names you liked.
  13. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,201 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    managing the cap and drafting are 2 different things.

and some of you will put common sense down for a twinkie and a rag-on-jones op.

if dallas has everything we need but an OL, then our GM must have done a good job putting together the rest but hey - no credit there, huh? just another contradiction from a poster who shouts first, thinks many years from now.
  14. Maxmadden

Maxmadden Active Member

991 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    I read the article but it didn't say anything about Dallas. So maybe I only missed your point.
  15. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,201 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    he hates jones and used this as an opportunity to vent. whether it was right or fit, doesn't matter it would seem.

another team does well (albiet by perception) then we must suck.
  16. w8lifter

w8lifter Member

455 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Ditto.

How many years before was there a team that won the Pre Season Super Bowl (on paper), but didnt make it there when it mattered?

Lets not worry about it now. Theres plenty of time for them to choke like they have so many other seasons.

:trophy:
  17. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,061 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    OH that Jerry Jones.....he has ruined me....oh ...Jerry....

Cant draft....poor Dallas...

What a organization the Eagles are.......look at what they have won....and lets see....all those FA's they signed....look at them all.....they are such a great drafting team that they needed to go out to FA and get starters....

Poor Jerry..........has no money.......spent it all on the stadium.....Oh that Jerry...cant hire real football men......you know the ones that won 3 Super Bowls....

We are doomed......

The dream team Eagles....what a team....what a organization....had a franchise Qb for over a decade and won exactly 0 Super Bowls.........oh...but wait....they did win those playoff games......

but I regress.....I give up....tell Jerry to fold the team....tell the rest of the NFL....its useless......the Eagles have won.......and they will continue to win...with those top 24 players signed......Top24 .....What shall we do???????
  18. celj1234

celj1234 Member

155 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    :)

everyone the eagles sign besides NA is on a 1 year deal pretty much

the team can cut all of those guys and suffer nothing after this year

so to the smart guy who said the eagles overpaid for jenkins.......think again kid
  19. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,120 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    You know how I know you're a kid?
  20. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

You are the very first person to put the words profesional football man and Joe Banner on the same page........

What do say we wait til these great football minds actually win a ****ing Super Bowl before we annoint them.