1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: How will the Cowboys defend Calvin Johnson?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 21, 2013.

1. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,300 Messages
    1,468 Likes Received
    He is in the same league with Revis IMO. He is top 5 out there. Sure he gets beat from time to time and has been owned in a game before (Brandon Marshall) but that is going to happen at CB. Carr has always been a terrific CB, I have watched him since he played for KC and tried to tell people here just how good he was. I kept hearing the "Lets wait and see" from people here. I didn't have to, I already knew. I love that guy. Also, I'm starting to notice a much more physical Claiborne out there. I saw him make some good tackles for once and also saw him trying hard to strip a ball.
  2. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,557 Messages
    1,814 Likes Received
    Ew no way. Scandrick doesn't have the size to slow down Calvin, and he doesn't have the ball skills to stop virtually anybody in a jump ball type situation. If he had Ed Reed or something over top, maybe, but we don't have playmaking safeties. It has to be Carr on Calvin
  3. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

2,500 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    i dont play. im dead serious.

we play up to the level of competition. we cant establish our own identity on offense.
  4. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,422 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Carr should be playing against every #1 WR.

In practice, he should be playing against Dez Bryant. I wouldn't want it any other way.
  5. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

2,078 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    I'd rather have Claiborne on Dez in practice. He needs it more than Carr does.
  6. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,917 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    like everyone else, grab, tug. pull, hold. No flag.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Bricks, bats, axes, knives.... No Pistols thou.
  8. MartinRamone

MartinRamone Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    Same as to how they will defend Dez, you just cant.
  9. Staubacher

Staubacher Well-Known Member

2,616 Messages
    2,481 Likes Received
    Well actually teams have been defending Dez by holding and grabbing him like crazy and usually getting away with it, so hopefully we can do that to Johnson
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Teams will also use 2 guys and run another under him. I suspect Dallas will have to use a safety over the top on CJ that just means the others CB are going to have lockdown on their man.
  11. Staubacher

Staubacher Well-Known Member

2,616 Messages
    2,481 Likes Received
    I can live with that - our corners have really stepped up the last two weeks. Plus besides Johnson the Lions don't have anyone nearly as scary
  12. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I agree. Lee and or Carter will likely get the TE and RB. I will say Bush can present a problem he has put up 731 yards rushing and rec. More than anything we will need a strong pass rush on Stafford using the front 4.
  13. lqmac1

lqmac1 Well-Known Member

1,305 Messages
    450 Likes Received
    Same way Lions will try to defend Dez. Here's the kicker, that's all they have and that's not the same for us. Huge game for TWills, I feel.
  14. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,933 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    You don't play Johnson physical.. he will destroy any cornerback not named Sherman, who tries to play him physical.
  15. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Off the line yes Carr can get him off his rout but have someone over the top. I agree if it was one on one but giving Carr help would allow him to use the 5 yard bump rule to get CJ off his rout.
  16. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,933 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    In a perfect world, I agree with you, but CJ is just so damn strong. Carr is going to have to do what he has been doing this last few weeks and run step for step with him with safety help over the top. If Scandrick was faster I would like the whole 2nd best corner and safety concept but that just isn't going to work in our case.
  17. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

4,417 Messages
    778 Likes Received
    Oh stop. Johnson is a big receiver but he is not so strong that he can simply wade through contact at the LOS. He is a nice big target for a defender to play bump and run with, why on earth would you ever give him a free release off the LOS?
  18. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,422 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    That won't work. Scandrick is too small and more often than not, he won't turn his head around. That's disaster for playing a guy who's 6'5. No chance, you need ball skills there.
  19. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,115 Messages
    4,583 Likes Received
    They will have to double team him with a safety over the top. I have no idea how they will accomplish that without creating problems elsewhere. I also agree they will have to game plan Bush esp if he runs routes out of the backfield. And I fully expect them to run some wheel routes etc as well as send him up the seams and try to get a mismatch on a LB and not a safety. If they send him behind Megatron then they may create some problems if we double Johnson and leave a vacuum underneath for the LBs to occupy.
  20. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

4,417 Messages
    778 Likes Received
    Scandrick is one of the best slot defenders in the game. Ball skills?