1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

how would you feel with trading back and getting these 2 guys?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by JoeyBoy718, Jan 9, 2013.

1. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,308 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    We have the #18 pick in the first and I'm guessing the #50 pick in the second. According to the NFL Draft Pick Value Calculator, those picks would be worth the #25 and #33 picks. How would you feel about trading back in the first and up in the second to get OL Barrett Jones from Alabama and S Matt Elam from Florida?
  2. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,921 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    eh..... its not terrible, but not ideal IMO.
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    I think we could probably get ELam at 52 with our own second rounder. If we get a big DT or pass rusher at 33, I really like this.

I don't believe that this type of scenario is outside of the realm of possibility.
  4. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,308 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    I guess my scenario is taking the safe route since they'll most likely be there at 25 and 35. I guess we just go BPA O-line in the 1st (maybe it's Warmack, maybe it's Jones) and hope we can stay put at 52 and get Elam. I think Elam would be an instant starter, and 3-4 or 4-3 we still need a safety.
  5. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,359 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    pretty sure we have the 49th pick, we alternate with stealers each round
  6. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

953 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    I dunno safties that can cover usually are taken off the board pretty early. There is a chance Eric Reid might be able to fall to 52
  7. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Eric Reid sucks. If we get Elam I'll wet my pants. Period.
  8. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,038 Messages
    444 Likes Received
    The last time we drafted a Guard in the 1st round was 1981, there is no way JJ drafts a guard in round 1.

You will not see a Guard drafted before RD 2 or 3.
  9. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,702 Messages
    539 Likes Received
    when trading down, I'm always hopeful that we pick up a pick in the next year's draft. That being said, I would still be thrilled if we added Jones and Elam. Jones adds versatility to play Guard or Center so it gives us a better chance to get the 5 best guys out there. Elam plays fast, which would be so welcomed from a Cowboy safety.
  10. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,064 Messages
    649 Likes Received
    I'd be much happier with Cooper and a d-lineman like Shariff Floyd or Kawann Short. Safety is a need, but if it comes down to Sensabaugh starting next year or Mackenzie Bernardeau/Ryan Cook and Marcus Spears/Kenyon Coleman I'm taking Sensy every time. Upgrading safety this offseason is a luxury in my opinion, not a necessity. Upgrading both trenches is a necessity though.
  11. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

3,918 Messages
    1,194 Likes Received
    And that is why the Cowboys will not win anything ever again under Jerry Jones.
  12. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,132 Messages
    322 Likes Received
    technically 47th.

the browns used their second in the supplemental draft, and the saints lose theirs because of bountygate
  13. blackbull

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    I disagree. A great safety can erase a lot of front 7 mistakes. We will regret passing on Elam.
  14. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    49th pick is correct although we will actually be picking 47th since Cleveland and New Orleans forfeited there 2nd round picks.

I don't know how you're going to get the 25th pick and 33rd pick as one team doesn't have both picks to trade. The values add up to 1300 but again one team does not have both those picks. Whar could be done is trade back to 23rd or 24th plus a 3rd rnd. pick, probably number 87 or 88. Then trade that 88th pick(150 points) and our second(49th--400 points) and then trade up to 34-36th pick. Many possible starters in the first 6-8 picks in the 2nd round.
  15. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,091 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    I don't think any of the safeties in this draft class are considered great.
    If one was then he'd be gone by the 18th pick.
  16. blackbull

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Greatness isn't limited to draft position. Elam/Shawn Williams will be there round 2 and if we pass on them it'll be another joke season for the secondary. Either guy would take sensabaughs job. If church comes back as he was last year he will start other safety.
  17. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    Rambo is a guy who can cover, and he's going to be there at 52. I'd take him there, even if it means not getting Elam, if that means adding another quality player, preferably on the Dline earlier in the 2nd.
  18. patrickstillhere

patrickstillhere Member

67 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Cincinnati has 1/21 and 2/5.
    1/18+2/17= 1310 points
    1/21+2/5= 1330 points
  19. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,859 Messages
    2,082 Likes Received
    He's not big and slow enough for Dallas to draft.

Seriously though.. If we hit on a Safety and Matt Johnson ends up being a player then we could change that position over night.
  20. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,972 Messages
    9,064 Likes Received
    We didn't draft an OT in the 1st under Jerry until we did with Tyron.

We didn't draft an Arkansas player in the 1st under Jerry until we did with Felix.

I think these absolutes don't hold much water.