1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Huckabee apologizes to Romney for Mormon remark

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ConcordCowboy, Dec 13, 2007.

1. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Huckabee apologizes for Mormon remark

Romney says attacking religion is 'going too far'; accepts apology

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22239946/

DES MOINES, Iowa - Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee apologized to Mitt Romney on Wednesday for saying, "Don't Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?"

An ordained Southern Baptist minister, Huckabee asked the question in an article to be published Sunday in The New York Times, which released his quote Tuesday. Romney retorted that "attacking someone's religion is really going too far."

Huckabee apologized Wednesday, saying he had asked an innocent question during a lengthy conversation and was shocked to see it taken out of context.

"I was horrified when I read that, and I apologized to Mitt Romney, because first of all, I don't think that his being a Mormon or not being a Mormon has a thing to do with his being president."

Huckabee said his discussion with the reporter, Zev Chafets, lasted several hours. "He was saying, `But there are some different things about Mormonism.' He obviously knew more about it than I did. In the course of that conversation, honestly, I raised the question."

"But no one believed it was an innocent question; they thought I was trying to throw something out there," he added.

Huckabee said Romney responded graciously to his apology, which he offered after a Republican presidential debate in Des Moines.

Coded language?
    "I just wanted to make sure that he heard directly from me, face-to-face, eyeball-to-eyeball, that I truly was sorry that that had come out," he said. "And it looked like I had taken some shot at his faith, and I absolutely do not, and I would not do that, and I apologized, because I felt like I owed him that."

The Times reported Huckabee's comments this way: "I asked Huckabee, who describes himself as the only Republican candidate with a degree in theology, if he considered Mormonism a cult or a religion. 'I think it's a religion,' he said. 'I really don't know much about it.'

"I was about to jot down this piece of boilerplate when Huckabee surprised me with a question of his own: 'Don't Mormons,' he asked in an innocent voice, 'believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?"'

A spokeswoman for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Kim Farah, said Huckabee's question is usually raised by those who wish to smear the Mormon faith rather than clarify doctrine. She said Mormons believe God is the father of all.

Romney, asked earlier Wednesday if he thought Huckabee was speaking in coded language to evangelical Christians who support him, praised his rival as a "good man trying to do the best he can," adding, "I don't believe that the people of this country are going to choose a person based on their faith and what church they go to."

Romney is vying to become the first Mormon elected president.

Huckabee has been surging in recent public opinion polls, taking the GOP lead in Iowa and pressing closer to front-runner Rudy Giuliani in national polling.
  2. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Why don't we get the religious leanings on the dems?

Obama's a member of a controversial congregation with a controversial pastor. Hillary's pastor is also controversial.

Every time I see Romney mentioned in the press, Mormon is mentioned somewhere. Every time I see Huckabee in the press, ordained Southern Baptist minister is mentioned...
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    Well Obama's church HAS been mentioned.
  4. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Not in quite a while. Also, his pastor now has minimized his availability to the press, refusing requests for interviews regarding Obama, and demanding reporters sign an agreement described as "policies and procedures for use with outside media sources."
  5. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    But it still was mentioned and they made a big stink of it for a time.

He was the hot candidate at the time.

Now Huckabee is the hot candidate for the Right.

It seems like they are finding all kind of stuff by digging in Huckabee's past and now with anything he says. Notice they said nothing about Huckabee when he was considered a nobody.

Politics as usual...dirty.
  6. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    I cant believe people vote for a candidate based on their religion.

Me personally, as soon as I see or hear about a candidates religion, I cross them off the list.

Has nothing to do with the job they are trying to get.

Unfortunately, it is the reason most of the people in this country vote, to protect their religion or promote it. Its pretty sad.
  7. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    I make no bones about not being big on religion.

However I was getting to like huckabee because I thought he was going to do things without using religion or attacking someone.

If he keeps this type of thing up, he will be crossed off my list..which would narrow it down to only Ron Paul who has a very little, to none, chance to win the nomination.
  8. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,212 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    huckabee came up quickly to me and is falling fast.
  9. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,418 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    Maybe John Smith's hat told Huckabee to comment on mormonism.
  10. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    It's really a not a huge issue. But if you don't play the R card properly, you won't get my vote. Huckabee is not playing his R card properly so he wont be getting my vote.

The day that we have a president that is not religious will be a milestone that will be reached subsequently to there being a woman president--if ever, which is a shame because it ought not be brought into political debates. Or if it is brought in, then there should be rules about it like no soliciting votes b/c that is garbage.

It's all an act to them because they know that middle America won't vote for them if they don't heed to the notion of the a "higher power". Let's face it. Most Americans are lazy and lack the will to be self-guided.

It's not a bad thing by any means. I ponder the thoughts of a creator quite often. I've heard valid arguments from both sides. If you think that you "know", well, you're just plain making an overstatement.

If you have faith, well, then I believe you and I admire that. It's really just a matter of distinguishing that. I'm not here to preach. But I couldn't care less about someone's church, religion or as a more proper term would define for the questioner of whom it seemed was trying to confuse Huckabee..."sect".

Mormons aren't a cult, and, of course they're a sect of a religion. They're a sect of Huckabee's religion. Once he made realized his blunder, then he came back with this quite canny response.

Now they're easy targets for the Dems and none of them stand out too much as contenders, while the Dems have strong candidates who seem durable.

I just laugh at the whole thing. What we have is people within the same party who don't even realize why they're on the same team and shouldn't be attacking religion. Because half of America doesn't care about it.

I'm a uniter not a divider--George Bush
  11. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    Let's not get into a religious argument of which form of religion is right and which is wrong...especially when it concerns variations of the Christian religion.

Those that are mormon would not appreciate their religion being called a cult as I am sure those that are Baptist, Methodist, Catholic or other Christian based religions as being a cult.

Thanks.
  12. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I could never vote for a Mormon, they think drinking iced tea is a sin...

:D