1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I don't think the NFC East has been this bad since 1999.

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Red Dragon, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,603 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    That year, the NFC East was just weak. Even last year's NFC East was slightly better than 1999, in my opinion.

We've rapidly gone from one of the best divisions in the NFL to one of the worst. Good news; the division, for the third year in a row, is wide open with any of the four teams having a legitimate shot at the division title.
  2. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,512 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    I'm seeing a lot of posts with fans predicting another 8-8 season but this season 8-8 might win the division.
  3. Cowboys606

Cowboys606 Member

262 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Cowboys started 3-0 that year, eventually going 8-8. Redskins went 10-6 with Brad Johnson.
  4. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,603 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    I also remember that as the year the Cowboys went 7-1 at home and 1-8 on the road. I don't think the Cowboys have ever played that well at home or that badly on the road in a season since.
  5. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,173 Messages
    1,288 Likes Received
    I can care less if this is the worst the NFC East has ever been, as long as we make the playoffs I'll be happy. :D
    Carharris2 likes this.
  6. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

1,990 Messages
    586 Likes Received
    That was the last push for a Super Bowl the triplets would ever make and frankly, they had a very good shot that year. We were humming along until that sad day in Philly where Irvin ended his career. This franchise was never the same after that. Troy was a concussion magnet after that and Emmitt left after the next season or so. The first game of that 99 season where we got down 35-14 to the Skins on the road and won in OT on a bomb to Rocket is still one of my fav Cowboy games.

I believed we made the playoffs that year on the last day because every single game we needed to go our way did. Then got shredded by the Vikings in the wild card round. Skins barely lost to the Bucs in the Divisional round.

Our defense that year was very solid and could have slowed down the Rams or Vikings had we had an offense to go with it. Which we would have if Irvin did not go down. We had the #5 ranked defense.

/memorylane rant
  7. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,509 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    I don't really care. The Eagles of the early 2000s made their living off womping the division every year cause it was so bad.
  8. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,954 Messages
    561 Likes Received
    Its far too early to be saying what's "weak" and what's not. Especally in the NFL where you can start off 5-0 and end the season 8-8. Its not how you start its how you finish. We should know this more than any other fanbase.
  9. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,227 Messages
    777 Likes Received
    0-7 out of the conference is 0-7 out of the conference, but I think things will trend positively again sooner than later. All 4 teams offer above average quarterback play and that should even things out over time.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received

it was mostly a last gasp that year. The O line was not very good by then; Basically just the left side with the Hotel and LA. I think we would have gotten smashed in the playoffs.

But certainly so far this year the NFC Beast is in hibernation
  11. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,325 Messages
    1,209 Likes Received
    the division isn't looking sharp currently...but, I feel like this team is a good game-plan on offense away from being very good, I see the Giants being competitive, the Redskins should play better once the third gets his leg(s) under him and philly is an enigma...

...I say that our division is wide open but also an interesting one to say the least...most of the AFC divisions suck with a few good teams over there, but divisions that are weak...the strong divisions are all in the NFC this season which makes the NFCE look a little weaker by comparison....
  12. John_S

John_S Member

57 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    8-8 just MIGHT win the division and then the team will get blown out in the playoffs.
  13. NinePointOh

NinePointOh Active Member

1,538 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Who's 0-7 out of the conference? The 4 NFC East definitely isn't.
  14. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,211 Messages
    3,173 Likes Received
    I ain't impressed so far. :(
  15. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,673 Messages
    1,472 Likes Received
    The NFC East is awful. If we can't win the division this year, we should be ashamed of ourselves.
    PA Cowboy Fan and Deep_Freeze like this.
  16. pugilist

pugilist dwarecwby311

2,423 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    in for winning the division @ 7-9 and making a deep playoff run
  17. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,812 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    This is not a very good division at this point, but I could see it getting better. Eagles putting in new O/D, Skins dealing with the Griffin situation, us new D and Romo injury, Giants probably going to be bad all year.

Not saying it is going to happen, but I don't see how it stays this bad all year.
  18. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,605 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Yeah I have to agree, the division is really bad right now. There should be no excuses for us to lose this division unless someone else really gets hot. I really thought the Skins and Giants would be better teams, but their defenses have been horrible so far. How they got that way who knows, but they sure do stink right now.

There is no reason for us not to make the playoffs from this division.
  19. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

2,909 Messages
    1,141 Likes Received
    It's been two games people.
    vicjagger likes this.
  20. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,285 Messages
    1,496 Likes Received

Especially since this is the best roster we've put on the field in years.

I said it before the year and people got upset with me but i'll say it again.

If we can't make some post season noise this season then we never will with Garrett and Romo.

We have a good roster. No reason to not be good this year.