1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I enjoyed Cowboy Football better under Campo

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by john van brocklin, Oct 10, 2012.

1. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,918 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    Just about everyone's enthusiasm is low right now but as usual some overreact with ridiculous comments. Some who are down had unrealistic expectations for the team prior to the season. A lot of FANS have received their reality checks and it's not what they expected. Although the Cowboys are 2-2 it's not a very solid 2-2 consisting of 2 blowout losses and one ugly win. The Cowboys have a rough road to hoe coming up and if they don't start playing a lot better than what they have the first 4 games their season could end up being over with games still remaining on the schedule.

For the Cowboys to have any chance of making the playoffs they can do no worse than 3-2 the next 5 games. That would put them at 5-4 with 7 games left. Other than Cleveland the remaining 7 games coming down the stretch look pretty brutal and the Cowboys would have to go at the very least 4-3 in those games to have any chance at a playoff birth.
  2. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Wow,those teams sucked
  3. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,618 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    You didn't agree with not going for 2 when down 16 with about 8 minutes to go figuring the team had a better shot to score three times than twice in those 8 minutes, only to end up losing by two because we kicked the PAT twice? :cool:
  4. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Funny you mention the Campo years in comparison with this year.

2002 has an eeriely similar initial history to this year. We started the season 2 - 2, had a revolving door at several OL positions starting 8 different players by the time the season was over including 6 guys who were in their first 4 years with only Flozell Adams playing at the same spot the whole year. Larry Allen only played 3 games. The bottom fell out the second half when we switched QB’s. We appeared more interested in breaking Emmitt’s record which happened on game 8, a game we lost to Seattle, than to actually win games. The team lost interest after that and we lost 8 of the last 10 games.

Hopefully history doesn’t repeat itself.

:pray:
  5. Mr_Bill

Mr_Bill Member

383 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Yes, I was a regular poster at the Dallas Morning News Forum.
  6. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

1,562 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    Well Howdy !!!

I really enjoyed your post back then.

That forum was really fun.

This one is too, everyone is just down because of the Cowboys sad play of late.
  7. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,909 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    [youtube]6ErXjl2gLiU[/youtube]
  8. rathalarge

rathalarge Active Member

1,607 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Yeah, the Hambrick brothers were hard working and dedicated players!! :rolleyes:
  9. Mr_Bill

Mr_Bill Member

383 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Howdy back atcha!

Forgive my failing memory, but I don't recall a john van brocklin posting at the DMN. Did you have a different user-id or am I just getting (more) senile?
  10. BTX

BTX New Member

435 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Campo teams were not even watchable.
  11. popp1234

popp1234 You will never outwork me, you talented bum! Zone Supporter

3,247 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.
  12. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,465 Messages
    2,886 Likes Received
    You know the boy wonder has been an EPIC FAILURE when the fan base is talking nostagically about the Campo years.

:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:
  13. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,465 Messages
    2,886 Likes Received
    Yea, the Campo teams were always so unprepared and just got embarrassed almost on a weekly basis.

Just take the game against the Bears as proof..........oh wait........Campo aint the coach anymore.

Sorry, I got confused. Garrett's team is starting to look alot like Campo's teams did.
  14. KJJ

11,918 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    I don't agree with the title of your thread it's obvious you're very frustrated and forgot how bad the Campo years were but I do agree this current Cowboy team is a bunch of inconsistent underachievers and you never know what to expect from one week to another. In all the years I've been following the Cowboys I've never seen a more up down Cowboy team than the one in 2011 and so far this season.

When we all looked at the schedule prior to the season the game that worried us the most during the first 4 weeks was the season opener vs the Giants and that ended up being the only game the Cowboys have looked good in. :confused: This Cowboys team is so hard to figure they'll probably go out on Sunday and win by 17 over the Ravens then get throttled by 24 the following week to a Carolina team that's riding a 3 game losing streak. :cool:

The big difference between this team and the teams under Campo is this Cowboy team is capable of winning each week because it has far more talent especially at the QB and skill positions than Campo's teams. As inconsistent as this team is it still gives you hope every week while Campo's teams were virtually hopeless. Entering each season under Campo even the most optimistic FANS knew those teams had little to no chance of making the playoffs.

Campo's teams were so bad that only 3 times did the Cowboys ever reach 500 while he was the head coach. During Campo's final year in 2002 the Cowboys reached 500 in week #2, week #4 and week #6. The bottom line is things aren't good right now but it's not hopeless because I lived through hopeless and trust me this ain't it.
  15. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,571 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    I don't think Campo's teams were any better or any worse, but with each passing season I do find myself a little more bitter and without hope than the year before.
  16. KJJ

11,918 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    The teams were worse under Campo it's not even debatable. I'm beginning to think some of you weren't following the team back then. The talent Campo was handed wasn't even close to what Garret inherited. The only similarity between the teams is the coaching. Everyone figured Campo would get the job when Gailey got fired because he was a Jerry guy.

Campo's teams kept spinning their wheels for 3 straight seasons until Jerry hired a proven head coach. The team FINALLY started making progress immediately after Parcell's took over which was no surprise to anyone.

We may have to suffer through 3 straight 8-8 or worse seasons under Garrett before Jerry gets fed up and decides to hire another proven head coach to FINALLY get this team heading in the right direction.
  17. BTX

BTX New Member

435 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    anyone that says campo's teams were better didn't watch campo's teams play to be honest. All you will be back on the bandwagon sunday afternoon when Dallas wins 17 to 13.
  18. KJJ

11,918 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    The jury is still out on Garrett but he may end up being the worst head coach the Cowboys have had if this team never finishes above 500 under him. There's talent on this team including a top 10 QB and a sackmaster in Demarcus Ware who will be a shoe-in first ballot Hall of Famer. The one thing Campo had going for him that Garrett doesn't is enthusiasm. Campo showed some fire and would get in the face of a player who wasn't getting it done.

When he was the secondary coach he almost came to blows with Tnew for screwing up. I was no Campo supporter because his teams weren't winning but they showed some fight, didn't quit and played with a lot more emotion than the current teams under Garrett. I'm sure there's unemployed coaches out there wishing they could get their hands on this Cowboys team with the talent it has.

[YOUTUBE]10DjmZMBRtQ[/YOUTUBE]
  19. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,571 Messages
    481 Likes Received

Sorry, dysfunctional teams who cannot execute and lack talent in key positions(several of the same positions) look alike to me. Six of one or half-a-dozen of another, the end results are all too familiar.
  20. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,152 Messages
    497 Likes Received
    Campo went 5-11 for three straight years with Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson at QB.

If we had either of those two QB's on this particular team, we'd be 0-4 and staring at a 3-13 season.