1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I enjoyed Cowboy Football better under Campo

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by john van brocklin, Oct 10, 2012.

1. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,166 Messages
    251 Likes Received
    With QC at qb for us now we would do worse than campo
  2. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

11,868 Messages
    637 Likes Received
    Campo really stunk it up but a ton of the blame has to go to Jerry. Not that Campo could coach it if he had it but what talent was on that team?

Campo was one of Jerry's 500 coaches. I really think that statement went beyond the SB team. I think Jerry thinks any one can coach the Cowboys with success as long as he's the GM. He thinks he's that good.
  3. ilovejerry

ilovejerry Active Member

3,337 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Your out of your mind there were awful. LOSERS thats what that team was. at least this team may show up may show up week to week team
  4. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,469 Messages
    1,083 Likes Received
    What key positions on this team do you think lack talent? The OL lacks talent but as bad as the Cowboys OL is it's not nearly as bad as the OL Campo had. Campo's teams had a dreadful OL and a terrible QB situation talk about a bad combo. Every team under Jerry has been dysfunctional except for the teams that Jimmy and Parcell's coached.
  5. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,317 Messages
    2,155 Likes Received
    Jerry bet the farm on Galloway. Unlike others, I had no problem with that move.

But when he tossed the chips on the table, he didn't assess where Aikman was. And this is the crux of why that team failed, and to a degree Campo failed.

With Rocket and Galloway and a healthy Aikman the team could have been more successful.

I have never thought Campo was a good head coach. But I have maintained we have no clue where his high water mark would have been had he had a real QB and not a shell of a former great. Plus two solid receivers and a running back.

Didn't happen. But so much is assumed about Campo that falls at the feet of the Galloway injury, the Aikman condition, and Jerry screwing the franchise with two firsts.
  6. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,525 Messages
    458 Likes Received
    Wha?

This current OL doesn't deserve to be placed above any other OL,,, quite the opposite. They have been horrific, as predicted,,,,
  7. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,499 Messages
    408 Likes Received

Wut...it is the same bunch and the same ol'....sarcasm? Campo was a nightmare.
  8. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,525 Messages
    458 Likes Received
    lol,,, that poodle drove me crazy and the fact that the team kept him around for years after the HC fiasco was dumbfounding. Every time I see him I think of him leading a chant on Hard Knocks and screaming "Cowboys" all by himself because he missed the count,, and the whole team laughing at him because he was an idiot.

I like Red infinitely better and haven't given up on him yet, the GM on the other hand,,,
  9. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

1,537 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    Your memory is fine my friend.
    I rarely posted, but was a serious lurker.
    I enjoyed those who posted quality well thought out post,
    and remember yours being in that catagory.
  10. KJJ

11,469 Messages
    1,083 Likes Received
    If you think this OL is worse then the OL's under Campo then you weren't following the team back then. Of the QB's that have been sacked the fewest times this season Romo ranks 7th. In 02 Quincy Carter and Chad Huchinson were sacked a combined 53 times. Hutchinson was sacked 34 times in only 9 games that season. It was one jailbreak after another. The Cowboys ranked 30th in offense in 02. Even as bad as the Cowboys offense has struggled this season it still ranks 16th. As awful as the running game has been it still ranks 15th.

This offense moves the football night and day better than the offenses during Campo's years. It got so bad under Campo it forced Jerry to bring in Parcell's to fix the mess. The Cowboys have players on this team that can produce and make big plays but it's a poorly coached team that lacks focus, passion and discipline. The Cowboys have a roster full of talented underachievers and that all falls on the head coaches Jerry keeps hiring.
  11. KJJ

11,469 Messages
    1,083 Likes Received
    That was funny but it takes an even bigger idiot to ice their own kicker during a game. I'll never forget the look on Garrett's face after calling the time out and watching the ball sail through the uprights. Garrett had a look on his face like oh **** because he knew if Bailey misses the next one he would end up being roasted. What made him look like an even bigger idiot was his reasoning for calling the time out.

He couldn't just man up and admit he made a mistake he said he wanted to make sure everyone was set and they got the kick off when there was still 7 seconds left. :rolleyes: Everyone was set and he ended up putting even more pressure on the second FG attempt. After the game Whisenhunt said he was glad Garrett iced his kicker so he didn't have to....OUCH!
  12. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

14,372 Messages
    1,546 Likes Received
    DeCamillis deserves some of the blame. He frantically asked Garrett to call the timeout. Garrett is ultimately responsible, but its the not the first time a head coach took advice from an assistant.
  13. KJJ

11,469 Messages
    1,083 Likes Received
    Shows just how disorganized the Cowboys are. The last few minutes were completely mismanaged. The Cowboys had 2 timeouts and instead of using one Garrett had Romo clock the ball to stop the clock. He threw a down away that could have been used to at least run the ball to gain a few yards and try and make the FG attempt easier.

A 49 yarder isn't exactly a gimme. Garrett clearly played scared not wanting to risk a turnover so he settled for a long kick. Had he used one of the Cowboys 2 timeouts in that situation everyone could have settled down and they wouldn't have felt rushed. The Cowboys ended regulation with a timeout still in their pocket. :rolleyes: As Bailey was a setting up to kick it's up to the head coach to make any decisions at that point that's why he's in charge.

With time running down in that situation you can't have a special teams coach yelling in the ear of the head coach. Garrett looked flustered as he was calling the timeout the entire sequence was embarrassing to watch. Even Jerry had a tough time trying to come up with something to say to defend what happened.
  14. Trajan

Trajan Active Member

693 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    The only good from the Campo years is that it forced Jerry to look in the mirror, recognize the chaos that was his organization, and make the smartest move he had made since hiring Jimmy..............Jerry brought in Parcells.

Just as Jimmy's legacy was quickly lost and incompetence reigned, so too has Parcells influence waned and failure has again become the norm.

My hope now is that a competent coach will be brought in to right the ship and clean up the carnage Jerry again has wrought.
  15. KJJ

11,469 Messages
    1,083 Likes Received

One of the reasons Jerry brought Parcell's in was to help get the new stadium he admitted that in his drunken Youtube rant. Now that he has the stadium he won't feel the need to bring in a competent coach to right the ship as long as he can still fill the seats fielding a mediocre team.
  16. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,284 Messages
    829 Likes Received
    :fact:
  17. Misanthrope

Misanthrope New Member

108 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wow, and I think I'm cynical. ;)

I don't know that winning is that unimportant to Jerry but I do know getting credit for winning IS important to Jerry, so he's going to do it his way or not at all.

Wish us luck. :rolleyes:
  18. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received

That's my opinion also. Jerry's priorities as I see them:

1) Making money
    2) Promoting the DC brand
    3) Getting credit for winning
    4) Winning
  19. KJJ

11,469 Messages
    1,083 Likes Received
    Winning is important to Jerry but if he can figure out how to do it his way and still keep the seats filled during this period of mediocrity he'll stay the course. He's going to have to start seeing some empty seats before making a bold coaching move that will require him relinquishing some power.