1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I have seen our kicker!

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by JokeyH, Feb 25, 2007.

1. JokeyH

JokeyH The Kramer

66 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I just saw this kicker Justin Medlock, from UCLA on ESPN a little while ago.
    This guy is awesome. The ball comes off his foot soo fast you just have to see it. The TV guys were talking about how his kicks never get blocked, because of how fast the ball is gone. They were doing a kicking skills comp. and he won by making EVERY kick in the contest.
    I would have never said this before, but I would even think about a 3rd or a 4th round pick on this guy... Man all I can say is WOW!

:bow:
  2. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think the Cowboys will try to re-sign Automatica Grammatica...
  3. Cowboys&Caps

Cowboys&Caps New Member

1,701 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think he pushed himself up a round or two in that skills competition, it kind of put him on the map. But if im not mistaken he is the 3rd ranked kicker on most draft board.

nonetheless he looked great
  4. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    He blew Mason Crosby away in that competition.

I wouldn't be sad to see Medlock in the early second day of the draft.
  5. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I have been saying this for sooo long......
  6. JokeyH

JokeyH The Kramer

66 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, he also looks sooo smooth through the kicks. I dont know if its because hes a lefty. Im right handed, but I have always thought that lefty golfers, hitters in baseball, and kickers look smooth.

:beer2:
  7. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,120 Messages
    3,171 Likes Received
    Medlock isn't even the best kicker in the Pac 10. That belongs to Nick Folk of Arizona who is also a Punter.
  8. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Grammatica is a band aid. Justin will be a permanent fixture to the Boys kicking problems for years down the road. It is a must to get this kid in the draft.
  9. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  10. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just out of curiousity, what round did New England take Gostkowski out of Memphis?
  11. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Laugh all you want. How many band aid kickers you want to go through? Justin is a great kicker and he if he is the BPA for us on the second day the Boys should take him.
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    Kicker and BPA shouldn't be used in the same sentence.
  13. Hostile

119,120 Messages
    3,171 Likes Received
    Unless you're talking about volunteers for tackling dummy.
  14. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Really? Hmm punting aside I fail to see how you come to your conclusion that Folk is the better kicker?

FIELD GOALS Team Cl G FG FGA Pct. FG/G
    ---------------------------------------------------
    1.Medlock,Justin. UCLA SR 13 28 32 87.5 2.15
    2. Serna, Alexis.. OSU JR 14 22 29 75.9 1.57
    3. Folk,Nick...... ARIZ SR 12 15 20 75.0 1.25
    Martinez,Paul.. ORE SR 12 15 22 68.2 1.25

Medlock has a much higher avg and led the Pac 10 in scoring for kickers. He also was at the top or led just about every other statistical category for kickers in 2006. He was not only the best kicker in the Pac 10 but one of the best kickers in the Country.
  15. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,569 Messages
    712 Likes Received
    Isn't this the kid who drove his truck off a cliff in a failed suicide attempt while in high school? Just wondering................
  16. Hostile

119,120 Messages
    3,171 Likes Received
    UCLA is a better offense than Arizona. No doubt about it. 4 of Folk's misses were 45 to 49 yards. On top of this one of a Kicker's duties are kickoffs. Folk regularly not only put it in the endzone he put them out of the back of the endzone.

This is from Scout.com...

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]

Supposedly Crosby is the very best, but Folk outshined him at the Senior Bowl.

Oh and he averaged 44.2 yards per punt and 64 yards per kickoff in 2006. 65 is the absolute best you can average so he was 1 yard shy of absolute best. In other words very few of his kickoffs ever got returned. Teams start with the bsll on the 20 yard line when this kid kicks off. It's just that simple.

He hit a 62 yard FG in the Spring game last year and in practice regularly hits from 65 yards. He has 3 times put kickoffs through the uprights.

That's how I come to my conclusion.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
  17. Dayton Cowboy

Dayton Cowboy Active Member

1,847 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I actually started a thread in the draft zone when this originally aired. Seemed most were inclined to bring back Grammitica over trying to draft a kid like Medlock. Crosby stunk up the joint. There was also another kid that wasn't too far behind Medlock that might be worth a look see. He was worth a look see. I think from VA or VT.
  18. Hostile

119,120 Messages
    3,171 Likes Received
    Vaughn from Auburn.
  19. SacredStar

SacredStar Active Member

2,693 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Stephen Gostkowski was drafted in the fourth round (118th overall)
  20. Dayton Cowboy

Dayton Cowboy Active Member

1,847 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    thanks Hos..

Vaughn didn't look too bad in that skills competition. Medlock though did seem to be the guy if I were looking for a kicker. I was thoroughly unimpressed with Crosby. Maybe he was just having a really bad day?