1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I often think about the 2007 season a lot.

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by cowboys102030, Nov 24, 2012.

1. cowboys102030

cowboys102030 Member

285 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I'm 21. I have never seen the Cowboys win the Super Bowl, or at least not be old enough to cherish it. I've seen nothing but a mediocre team. 2007 was a year that felt like a diamond in a rough. The team looked dominant. It put out an excellent 13-3 record. The offense was high octane, and they found ways to win. They secured a #1 seed.

And yet, they didn't win in the playoffs that year. They didn't win one until 2009, so that year was technically better. I thought maybe the team was going to improve little by little. 2010 came around and so that idea never happened. Instead, they've been taking more and more steps backwards. So here I am, dreaming about the only season I can remember looking like a dominant team. And you know what? That kind of year is what the Patriots have had almost every year for 10 years straight. Unbelievable.
  2. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Cowboy fans that never saw a Super Bowl scare the **** out of me.
  3. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,090 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    That was the last time we had an elite scoring offense. The offense put pressure on other teams by lighting up the scoreboard so they knew they had to throw the ball to keep up. The defense wasn't great but they got sacks and had a lot of interceptions because opposing offenses had to throw.

Offense had a good offensive line, Sparano influencing the offensive playcalls, and a dominant WR in Terrell Owens who could take over a game by himself.
  4. Luckenbach

Luckenbach Member

91 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You want sad, one of my favorite games was a comeback win against the Giants with Quincy Carter winning it. Sept. 15, 2003. I was 10 and not exactly a football nerd last time we did anything of note. So Sept. 15, 2003 and games like it are the fumes that keep me watching till the bitter end of every game.
  5. lane

lane The Chairman

10,448 Messages
    396 Likes Received

at least you might see the day we might win another superbowl.

all us old timers got one foot in the dirt.
  6. GoCowboysGo

GoCowboysGo Active Member

953 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    My son is gonna be 16 in January, he's seen the Cowboys win ONE playoff game. ONE!!

When I was growing up, we went to the playoffs 20 years in a row, I'd give anything to have a real GM (Holmgren???) , a coach and an owner that kept out of football ops and stayed in the PR room!!
  7. Lazyking

Lazyking Active Member

700 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    I'm 27 years old. I just remember the 90s super bowls and I'm so grateful.. yet the thing is, Football is by far my favorite sport.. and Cowboys my favorite team.. I don't want to die without experiencing a Cowboys super bowl win as an Adult..
  8. tommydo08

tommydo08 Member

77 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    I actually thought about this earlier today when I saw the thread about Demarcus Ware and Marcus Spears smiling on the sideline and the Cowboys of the 90s. I'm 22 and the first football-related thing I remember was the 1996 Super Bowl with the Packers winning it. I can't remember what happened the year before though when the Cowboys won it all.

I felt the same way about the 2007 team and how we were supposed to only get better, but things have been spiraling out of control as of late. On one side I'd like to think we are improving and remember that we are in year 2 of the 3-year rebuilding process with Garrett. On the other, I feel like Garrett has had plenty of time to build success and that we are imploding from the inside out.
  9. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,524 Messages
    755 Likes Received
    I never think about the 07 season it flamed out after the first 12 weeks. I'm more pissed off about that season than the season the Cowboys are having now. I was fully prepared for a crappy season this year the Cowboys haven't had a good team in 3 years. These up and down seasons with the Cowboys hovering around 500 that end with them sitting home for the playoffs has sadly become the norm.
  10. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,524 Messages
    755 Likes Received
    The Cowboy teams I often think about are the ones that bring back good memories like the teams we had in the early to mid 90's. No need to think about what could have been with a team that's frustrating relive the memories of the teams that got it done.
  11. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,723 Messages
    1,345 Likes Received
    At 21 you should be thinking about women more.
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,814 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received
    That season ticks me off too. It was maybe the worst thing to happen for this franchise because they thought they could win by playing mistake-prone football. They turned the ball over and committed tons of penalties, but were able to overcome all that. I think they got comfortable with it and had a head coach who believed that stuff didn't need to be fixed. Plus, JG thought that his system would always work even though the last month of the season the offense struggled.

While it was nice going 13 and 3, that season might have set this franchise back as a whole.
  13. mahoneybill

mahoneybill Active Member

642 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    Brady & an O line that gives him time... Thats the reason they remain competitive and in the hunt
  14. mahoneybill

mahoneybill Active Member

642 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    2 interceptions by Mark Malone to Larry Brown were keys to the game....

Without those, we would probably have lost once again to Pittsburgh in an SB
  15. AtomicDog

AtomicDog Member

298 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Dude. I feel ya. Losing to the giants at home in the playoffs. Something in me died a little that day. I haven't been the same type of fan since.
  16. crashintonickdm

crashintonickdm Active Member

712 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    i think about it often as well.

i remember after they beat green bay this time 5 years ago. it felt like 1995 all over again.

but then december hit, and you could see issues when they needed the last play of the game to beat the lions. then they scored a mere 6 points at home against the eagles. then TO got hurt against carolina, which wasnt a pretty game either. and yeah....
  17. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Active Member

7,601 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    I created two separate threads entitled "You can slice it however you want" and went on to say unless the team fixed their performances, they were going to be a first round exit.

I was grilled by all the members on the board, because I wasn't pumping sunshine. This is the first season I've seen almost everyone give an honest assessment that this team just isn't very good.

In 2007 I expected to win. This season, I expect to lose.
  18. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,576 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Mark Malone?

What happened to Neil O'donnell?

Craig
  19. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,603 Messages
    782 Likes Received
    It was a strange season. The offense was explosive... Romo had 35! TDs after just 13 games, TO was a TD machine and Barber was emerging as one, and the team was 12-1. Then they dropped 2 of the last 3 and we know what happened against the Giants. Definitely a wasted opportunity, and also shows the folly of thinking a young team always has "plenty of chances ahead".
  20. cowboys102030

cowboys102030 Member

285 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    You mean Dallas fans who haven't seen their team play in the Super Bowl? Because get ready buddy, we're soon going to be the majority.

And the 2009 Saints started out 13-0 but dropped their last 3. Still won the Super Bowl.