1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I think Romo is going to retire

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by gimmesix, Nov 23, 2012.

1. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,845 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    I hope not. I really really hope not. And if it truly were to come down to Jason or Tony ( not saying it will), I'd have to choose Tony even though I'm a Garrett supporter. There is something so compelling about the Romo story that I have to see it through. Then I'd join in the pro-Sean Payton faction.
  2. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,161 Messages
    788 Likes Received
    I think that's part of it, actually. As competitive as Romo is, it has to be tearing him up when receivers run the wrong routes or don't know where to line up, when the offensive line can't buy him a second and even the mistakes that he's making.

All of that, along with the fan and media hate, will drive him from a game he doesn't need to satisfy his competitive needs. He can do that by playing golf without all the headaches.

This is why I predict that he's going to call it quits earlier than anyone expects.
  3. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,845 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    Do you think a change in coaching ( ala Sean Payton) might convince him otherwise?
  4. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,386 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Everything you said, plus about $60M.
  5. gimmesix

9,161 Messages
    788 Likes Received
    Romo said a few years ago, riling some fans of course, that winning a Super Bowl wasn't the most important thing in the world to him. Obviously, he'd love to win one or two or three, but I don't think that drives him to the point where he'd stay in the game just to accomplish it.

I think it has to be fun for him to stick around, and it's not right now.
  6. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :clap2:

I was gonna say something similar, but saw your post. He'll play for another team, before he just 'quits'.
  7. gimmesix

9,161 Messages
    788 Likes Received
    I see no real evidence that he has any kind of problem with the current coaching staff. I think Romo's the type of guy who's driven by his own motivations.

He's said things to that end before, but stopped saying them because people took it like he didn't really care about winning. I think it just comes down to whether the aggravations are worth it anymore, not who's coaching him.
  8. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    This. No way he leaves this much money on the table.
  9. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

5,880 Messages
    1,892 Likes Received
    Too many millions to be made. I don't see him retiring. Didn't he do an interview not long ago & say he wanted to play till he was 40?
  10. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,603 Messages
    538 Likes Received
  11. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    He is already a millionaire many times over.

Some people place personal enjoyment and happiness over making money.
  12. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    :laugh1:
  13. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,831 Messages
    2,484 Likes Received
    I disagree.

Once this horrible season is over and Opie go finds a CFL team to coach, then Holmgren/Payton/Chucky can take over and start building a legit offensive line and a running game.

When Romo doesnt have Madden Jr. calling 62 pass plays all from shotgun, he will actually be able throw a pass without being driven into the turf. At that point, I think he may start to enjoy the game again.

Hang in there Tony, Opie and his Madden playbook is almost gone.:D
  14. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,831 Messages
    2,484 Likes Received

Thats an easy call to make...................Bye Opie.
  15. Nunez21

Nunez21 Active Member

268 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    I hope they take a QB high in the draft incase Romo doesnt want to play here!
  16. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,356 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    The haters are far outnumbered by fans who blindly proclaiming him an elite quarterback. The media is much more protective of him than critical. Babe Laufenberg is practically his defense lawyer. Troy Aikman shies away from cirticizing him. There are long threads dedicated to explaining why every interception is someone else's fault. And all Tony has to do on the sideline is yell at someone else for a mistake and that player gets the blame.

I wish I were mistreated that way.
  17. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,174 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    Romo is outta here when his contract ends. You really think he trusts Jerry to give him an OLine when instead he gets skill position players that can't stay healthy and can't be trusted?

The OLine should have been overhauled immediately after the 2009 playoff game at Minnesota. Instead, it's three offseasons later and our OLine is in worse shape than it was when Jared Allen and Co. were embarrassing Colombo on the field.
  18. gimmesix

9,161 Messages
    788 Likes Received
    It's a prediction. No reason to facepalm ... unless you just enjoy doing it. ;)
  19. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    I know hes already made a ton of money. Even if he called it quits I doubt we would ever see him on a ESPN 30/30 like a coked out broke Bernie Kosar. Still, its not like hes doing something he hates. He would like to have a better team around him, no doubt. But, he is the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys. Probably one of the most dreamed about jobs in the world. He still spends a lot of time on the links and with his family too.
    Not that he needs money and not thats hes greedy but thats a ton of loot to leave on the table.

Also, that episode of 30/30 about athletes being broke is on NetFlix now if you wanna check it out.

Honestly, I dont think there is a franchise that would suit him. Im sure he wouldnt go anywhere with a history of success and those spots have strong starters. IMO.
    Perhaps you are correct and I just dont want to see him move.
  20. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,675 Messages
    198 Likes Received
    Exactly!!! Romo loves the game, loves the Cowboys, loves being the QB of AMERICAS TEAM, loves his teammates, is highly competitive, and stil plays at a extremely high level. He's not retiring nor will he play for another team.