1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If Brockers then why not Poe?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by tm1119, Apr 25, 2012.

1. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,973 Messages
    570 Likes Received
    Both are raw DT/NT's who didn't put up any kind of flashy numbers in college. So why not go with the bigger, stronger, faster guy in Poe? Poe needs to be coached up quite a bit, but so does Brockers really. I think Poe gets a bad rap as a lazy underachiever because of thr system he played in at Memphis. With some proper coaching and if put in the right spot to achieve I think Poe has just as much, if not more, potential than Brockers.

So let me hear some opinions why Brockers is the better pick over Poe.
  2. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,211 Messages
    670 Likes Received
    That's actually a pretty good question. Especially considering Poe can probably be had with a slight trade back.
  3. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

1,885 Messages
    255 Likes Received
    Poe was terrible against the run, has started many more games than Brockers, has worse stats, and did so against abysmally inferior competition.

That's why.
  4. GroundUp

GroundUp Member

218 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    :fact:
  5. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,794 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    Would much rather have Poe. At least he has the athletic ability to warrant the word "potential", even if that athleticism hasn't necessarily showed up on the field to date.

Neither's really worth a 1st round pick, though.
  6. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,037 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Yep, that about covers it.
  7. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,295 Messages
    337 Likes Received
    Poe is a true NT, which is more attractive. If we are going the route of D-Line the OP makes a good point, Poe makes a better choice. With that said I hope we draft neither in the first round.
  8. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,973 Messages
    570 Likes Received
    Brockers stats are just as unimpressive while playing on a defense with probably 9-10 future NFL players. Also, Poe was used poorly in college as a DE in the 3-4 doing nothing but eating blocks and double teams. Put him at NT and he opens the entire line up by using his bulk and strength to push the interior line back. I know he's not a perfect prospect, he has a lot of room to improve but he has the talent and desire to do so.
  9. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,659 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    I don't know....

Poe may have as much if not more upside than Brocker and right now we are drafting all on potential since neither really produced.

One can argue that Poe was poorly coached and had no one playing next to him. He is super athletic so if he goes to the right coach and is driven he could be awesome.

Not too fond of either at 14.
  10. myslamsareolder

myslamsareolder Member

189 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I'd much rather have Poe. Yeah, you can say "sucked against inferior competition," but Brockers was the equivalent IMO because he "sucked" with good players around him. Poe was grossly misused. Even his coaches admitted as much and his D coordinator was fired... if you're drafting for Potential, then draft the player with more (significantly bigger, significantly faster, significantly stronger, and significantly more athletic)

Poe-tential.:D
  11. sureletsrace

1,885 Messages
    255 Likes Received
    You can all have the underwear Olympian.

Give me the football player.
  12. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,015 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    Please educate me on how Brockers "sucked" last season? I would love to hear the argument.
  13. HanD

HanD Member

856 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    not a huge fan of either but brockers had to rotate on the LSU line so probably got a lot less number of plays compared to games played versus poe.
  14. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,276 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    Poe had 10 tackles for a loss last season, how is that putrid vs the run?
  15. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,497 Messages
    1,686 Likes Received
    Because Brockers showed up on film in the best conference in College Football.
  16. sureletsrace

1,885 Messages
    255 Likes Received
    Memphis allowed 191 rushing yards per game. As a defensive lineman on that team, that means Poe was putrid vs the run.
  17. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,775 Messages
    3,440 Likes Received
    I'd rather have Poe but Brockers is ok, too.
  18. Canadian BoyzFan

Canadian BoyzFan Active Member

3,315 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    ......because our stubborns coaches refuse to move Rat to DE. Poe is a NT plain and simple and would be a wasted pick unless Rat moves. Brockers is a run stuffing 5 technique DE. I prefer Poe but he's not an option after hearing the refusing to move Rat to where he belongs.
  19. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Poe played 5-technique DE in all the three down lineman sets for Memphis.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=BC0E8958-EF33-E96F-B0599BF7371E2DD9
  20. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,774 Messages
    2,519 Likes Received
    Agreed.