1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If Garrett can stop doing this on 3rd down this team can make the playoffs

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboysFanSince88, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,332 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    This thread has been pure comedy. Thanks, OP.

I've learned to laugh at those who don't understand the game (but think they do) rather than waste my time trying to reason with them.
  2. KLJ

KLJ Member

253 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    didn't we complete 3 passes on 3rd down that did not pick up the first against philly? that is the most frustrating to me.
  3. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,379 Messages
    2,293 Likes Received
    Well, it wouldn't have been unreasonable to think that if we had the same receiving corps as last year. But Romo's #1 deep target was replaced by someone who has proved to be a far less capable player.

Targets more than 15 yards downfield
    (as a percentage of top 3 WR targets)

Robinson 42%
    Bryant 29.5%
    Austin 28.5%

Austin 46%
    Bryant 39%
    Ogletree 15%

From 2011 to 2012, the distribution of these passes has been turned upside down. When Romo targets a WR on an intermediate-to-deep throw, Ogletree is his target only 15% of the time. Last year, Robinson was the target of those throws 42% of the time. The change at the #3WR position has radically affected our passing game. Not only has the production we were getting from Robinson completely disappeared, it also means Romo has been forced to target Miles and Dez on intermediate-to-deep throws far more often than last year, and almost certainly more often than he would like.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,487 Messages
    6,202 Likes Received
    This thread is gold. I've learned nothing, and it's still gold.
  5. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You have to love the play calling around the 1:44 mark at the end of the first half. Before that point, Felix Jones rips off 15 yards. Jason Witten picks up 9 solid. I'm thinking field goal range first. Witten's 9 yard catch makes it 2nd and 1 at the Philadelphia 41. Dallas has 2 time outs. Do they run to pick up the yard with two time outs? No. They pass..pass. and punt. This was another wasted opportunity to put points on the board.

Didn't I just witness this in the Giants game, with the game on the line?

They still just don't get it. (Garrett and Romo)

That is poor situational football at the end of the half. A draw to Jones could not only net a yard, it may put you in field goal range. You have two time outs.

Then, the 2nd half starts... I'm thinking the Cowboys will get back to Felix Jones and start moving the ball again. Nope. Kill..Kill..Kill..Incomplete..Kill..Kill..Kill.. Incomplete...Incomplete..Punt

The Eagles take control after that pitiful sequence.
  6. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,677 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    On the other hand, how many 3 yard passes to Witten are going to get this team to the playoffs?
  7. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,072 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I get frustrated when we keep running the same play on 3rd and one or 4th and one and is stuffed at the line of scrimmage. lol
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,058 Messages
    2,830 Likes Received
    You do know there are multiple options on almost every pass play. Because Romo makes a 20 yard throw does not mean the play called for him to take the deeper shot. He looks at the defensive alignments and looks at the match up he has.
  9. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    If our wrs would run the pattern past the first down yardage it would make sense. It could be the way the play is designed but it drives me crazy when we need 3 yds and they run a pattern for two yards.
  10. CowboysFanSince88

CowboysFanSince88 Well-Known Member

4,089 Messages
    75 Likes Received

Well as the coach it's up to Garrett to tell Romo, "Don't take shots down the field on 3rd down because the goal is to keep the drive alive. So if you want to take a chance and throw the deep ball I have no problem with you doing it on 1st and 2nd down."
  11. CowboysFanSince88

4,089 Messages
    75 Likes Received

Again that falls back on coaching, the wide receiver coach is not telling them to go BEYOND the 1st down marker
  12. Doomsday101

77,058 Messages
    2,830 Likes Received
    He is looking at the matchup he has, give it a rest for a change. You guys go after Garrett and do not even understand what you are talking about QB look for the matchup, and when we hit those plays none of you say a damn thing. Hell there are many time he hits witten in those situation for a 1st down but take a shot 20 yards down field on occation and you would think Dallas does that 100% of the time, well they don't
  13. CowboysFanSince88

4,089 Messages
    75 Likes Received

And I went....."Stupid pass but luckily he made it and got the 1st down". I still call plays stupid that work and just be glad that it worked out. I have never liked bombs on 3rd down because it's too risky
  14. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,695 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    ive seen that plenty of times, and that little 1 yard out to Witten play should be deleted all together.
  15. Doomsday101

77,058 Messages
    2,830 Likes Received
    I like hitting open targets and if that means taking a shot be it on 1st or 3rd down then you take the shot when the opportunity presents itself. Also there are many times it is a short pass to Witten for the 1st down, hell Witten is the leading receiver on the team and it is not 20 yard passes he is catching most are around the 5 to 10 yard range for 1st downs. Sorry after a while some of these attacks on Garrett are just flat out stupid.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,487 Messages
    6,202 Likes Received
    I love it, too. I never complain about taking a knock-out shot against the right coverage.

We're missing on a bunch of them right now, too. Keep taking them, because when they start to connect, things are going to change in how we get defended. The big play to Dez last weekend against the blitz quieted them down a lot. And Romo overthrew another earlier in the game that probably would have changed the complexion of the game earlier had it connected.
  17. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,286 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    I honestly can only remember 2 games where we were in complete control in the Garrett era. Buffalo last year and also Detroit. And we all know what happened with Detroit. But those are the only ones I can recall where we had any kind of substantial lead.
  18. Doomsday101

77,058 Messages
    2,830 Likes Received
    I can think of many games where the offense played very well only to have the defense blow the game late.
  19. CowboysFanSince88

4,089 Messages
    75 Likes Received

Of course if someone is wide open due to a blown coverage then I agree Romo should throw the bomb but if the receiver is not WIDE OPEN then I don't like the risk because it results in

Punting
    Other team getting the ball and possibly scoring
  20. Doomsday101

77,058 Messages
    2,830 Likes Received
    But you are assuming the short ball is open. Often in short yardage the defense will look to take that short pass away if they have a LB underneath and a safety over the top on Witten leaving a one on one matchup on the outside then I'll take the chance. Sorry I don't think it is much of an issue, Dallas is converting 42% on 3rd down which is better than avg in the league. Yes we take some shots at time but we are still throwing the shorter passes to pick up 1st downs as well. It is not like we always take shots down the field.