1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If Garrett's out after season, who takes the helm?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dcstands4, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,514 Messages
    4,752 Likes Received
    So, they were joke predictions then, right?
  2. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,439 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    Dead serious predictions. They felt pretty good at the time! :eek:
  3. Alexander

24,514 Messages
    4,752 Likes Received
    Wow. Not trying to laugh, but these are the Monte Kiffin of predictions. Seemed good at the time before everything started.
  4. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,328 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    Did you miss what happened at the end of his Seattle days? The team sucked. And then there is the Browns thing. Would you not think for a second, Jerry wouldn't let Holmgren be involved in the draft process? We saw what Wade wanted in the 2009 draft, and Garrett's drafts have been better, but still wasted picks being taken. The last thing, Dallas needs is a 65yr old washed up coach.

I predict, that Lovie Smith will be your next HC. And I really think that will be a bad pick. Lovie, Gruden, and Holmgren, will all be bad picks, if they become the HC.
  5. TheSport78

8,439 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    Pretty much a microcosm of the season...
  6. BlueStar22

BlueStar22 Well-Known Member

8,269 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I think Jerry should name himself HC and take over. I'm serious...
  7. TheSport78

8,439 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    He led Matt Hasselback to the Super Bowl, and if it hadn't been for the refs, they would've won that game.
  8. EGTuna

EGTuna Member

370 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    If Nick is correct, then Garrett is gone, because there's no way this team wins a playoff game, and I doubt they even make the playoffs. I see two more wins; Oakland and GB (assuming Rodgers doesn't play, if he does, forget it). Maybe they beat the Skins in DC is Shanny is a lame duck, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

So if Nick is right, and Garrett is gone, my first choice is David Shaw. His teams are fundamentally sound, tough and physical. He's got NFL experience so he's ostensibly aware of the differences between coaching men and coaching kids. I doubt it happens though. I am not optimistic until Jerry takes a dirt nap.
  9. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,833 Messages
    2,691 Likes Received
    Right, all those Superbowl coaches would be terrible coaches for us. What would be your idea of a good pick?
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,459 Messages
    3,732 Likes Received
    Sure you are.
  11. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

952 Messages
    426 Likes Received
    fify
  12. Doc50

Doc50 Original Fan Zone Supporter

644 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    Jerry is much more thirsty in this 17 year drought than we are.

It's obvious that his offense-experienced coach has not managed the offense well, and has not shown signs of being "the answer".

So, JJ has to be lying awake at night, thinking about how to return to the glory days, and reminding himself that he did that with an innovative, aggressive college coach. I believe that's what the new HC will be, and there are several out there who would jump at the chance because of their own admiration for the Dallas legacy. Behind the scenes, I believe the search is on, but you won't hear any specific discussion about potential candidates, due to their current contracts and commitments.

We probably won't find out who's being considered until after the bowl games.
  13. BlueStar22

BlueStar22 Well-Known Member

8,269 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    He doesn't respect the position and the job that those guys have to do. When he comes out says that he doesn't plan to change playcallers, it's ridiculous. Like that's not your decision man!
  14. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,441 Messages
    1,341 Likes Received
    In his last 6 years in Seattle they had a winning record 5 years in a row, went the playoffs 5 years in a row, and got to a Superbowl. They had a good 5 year run and then in the 6th year the stars that got them there were shot and they had to rebuild (4-12).

I don't buy for a second that Holmgren is/was a bad coach -- quite the opposite.

I do agree he is old (65).

I do agree he is a terrible GM.
    tantrix1969 and Common Sense like this.
  15. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,510 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    What's with all the Nick Saban hate? I understand he quit on the Dolphins -- that's a valid argument in itself -- but as far as his ability to cut it in the NFL? He took a 4-12 Dolphins team and coached them to a better record than the Dallas Cowboys have seen under Garrett. Think about that for a second. Even the considering trainwreck the following season, do you really think finishing 6-10 with a quarterbacking carousel including the likes of Cleo Lemon (who?) is more impressive than winning a whopping two more games with Tony Romo at the helm?
  16. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,328 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    How did Parcells do for Dallas?

I don't know, who would be, atm. I don't need to know the answer of who is the best coach to know the ones, everyone is saying should be, are bad picks. I am pretty sure, I predicted 8-8 before the season started, and was laughed off by EVERYONE. Funny, how Dallas is sitting at 5-5 right now. They might be tied for first place, but they are still .500.

Once Dungy's players became old in Tampa, Gruden started collecting bad QBs, and constantly putting people in the dog house.
    With Holmgren, he was operating with the Packers, when the salary cap was first initiated, and did not really have to deal with dead money too much. Also, it was another time period in football. Once Homlgren's core got old in Seattle, he could not replace them. Then there is the magnificent build up of the Cleveland franchise he did.
    Lovie, although a wonderful DC, has no clue on offense, and runs through OC's like running water. Does the same thing as Gruden with putting players in the Dog house.

But, right now, Dallas is set up for either Lovie or Gruden to come in, and I think Lovie will get it, Gruden makes more sense, since you already have a Defense installed. But, Lovie is from Texas, and that is going to get Jerry to hire him.
  17. Alexander

24,514 Messages
    4,752 Likes Received
    Keep telling yourself this when public comments from the man himself paint a picture of resolved satisfaction from just being relevant.
  18. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,510 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    You mean the only bright spot in the last 17 years? Had he stuck around one more year and coached the team that even Wade freaking Phillips won the division with, we might not be talking about a franchise that has only won one playoff game in nearly two decades.
  19. Alexander

24,514 Messages
    4,752 Likes Received
    He got the franchise off of it's knees.
    Common Sense likes this.
  20. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

5,405 Messages
    1,653 Likes Received