1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If Garrett's out after season, who takes the helm?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dcstands4, Nov 13, 2013.

1. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,112 Messages
    1,098 Likes Received
    I would be done with them if that happened. I hope you're kidding..
  2. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

23,334 Messages
    3,564 Likes Received
    Not sold on him either. His teams after the Super Bowl win were awful to close out seasons. His final year, they blew it failing to make the playoffs after starting 9-3.
  3. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

1,588 Messages
    656 Likes Received
    If you think so...
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,471 Messages
    1,978 Likes Received
    1. Sorry, but I find it hard to believe everyone laughed at you for 8-8 when that's what we've been the last two years.
    2. Even if you were right about that, it doesn't mean you're right about everything, does it?
    3. Gruden may have gotten to the SB with Dungy's players, but he was facing his old players in the SB.
    4. Holmgren got Matt Freaking Hasselbeck to a SB, and I'm pretty sure there was a salary cap in 2005.
    5. Don't think he's a great GM either, but he wouldn't be that here. He'd be the coach.
    Coy likes this.
  5. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

821 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    I do
  6. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,112 Messages
    1,098 Likes Received
    I'm not swaying off him. He's my pick. I think he'd be a great hire.
  7. garrett316

garrett316 Well-Known Member

2,455 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    talking about a new coach is probably useless due to the fact they would inherit the Jones family, so they have no chance to succeed anyway. I'm not big on the SB winning coach retread i.e. Gruden, Holmgren, Cowher etc. Been proven those type of guys rarely win big at a different stop. There's no question they would be an improvement over Garrett though, so I'd be ok with it.

The hope of Jerry interviewing a David Shaw, or hiring the next Jim Harbaugh, basically going outside his comfort zone is slim and none.
  8. Alexander

23,334 Messages
    3,564 Likes Received
    He has interviewed people out of his comfort zone but that may have been to satisfy the Rooney Rule. He interviewed Singletary and Rivera before. But his final choices usually come down to who his network of old school cronies recommend. That goes for all the coaches.

His head coaching searches are almost always frustrating. From the Terry Donahue fiasco on. Unless he has a stadium to bank roll, his choices are rarely inspired.
  9. cowboys1981

1,588 Messages
    656 Likes Received
    d-O-b
  10. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,244 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    Really?!?! Dallas has been to the SB during or after the Parcells era?
  11. CashMan

1,244 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    I didn't say literally everyone. If you agreed, you should of responded.
    Doesn't mean I am right about everything, but I try to look at everything objectively, I don't drink the Koolaid. Nothing about this franchise has be believing the arrow is pointing up, I don't think Dallas has hit rock bottom yet, and nothing is going to change until that happens.
    Yes, Gruden knew his former OC very well, and came up with a really good game plan to beat him. I don't deny the SB, but what happened after the SB. Just because a coach wins the SB, does not mean he is a genius, look a Ditka, that was all Buddy Ryan and the Defense.
    Yes, Holmgrens west coast offense was really good for Hasselbeck, I don't deny he can OC, I question his being around football operation/drafting, which is what will happen.
    Not in Jerry's world, I guarantee, Holmgren will but something in his contract that will say he is involved in GM/drafting responsibilities.
  12. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

4,936 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    It won't be Saban, it won't be any legitimate coach, not as long as Jerry is the GM and running the show.

These last few weeks have shown just how much meddling Jerry does. Dr. Jerry proclaimed that Ware was ready....Ware was not ready. The "moral victory" that wasn't.

Any coach worth anything will avoid Dallas as long as Jerry is here. Jerry won't hire somebody that wants control, that wants to hire his own staff, that wants a say in which players stay and which players must go. A coach will be forced to work with what Jerry hands him.
  13. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,433 Messages
    445 Likes Received
    Don't act clueless.
  14. Alexander

23,334 Messages
    3,564 Likes Received
    Apparently getting franchise up right again means Super Bowl.
  15. CashMan

1,244 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    So, Parcells left in 2006, which would make this year #7 since his departure, would you say the arrow is pointed up or down with this franchise?

BTW: You, not me, is the one defending this franchise, atm.
  16. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,131 Messages
    503 Likes Received
    Unless we magically make a run in January this would be worst case scenario IMO.
  17. cowboys1981

1,588 Messages
    656 Likes Received
    Agreed
  18. Tex

Tex Active Member

553 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Gruden
    Holmgren
    Cowher
    Lovie

I dont want any college coaches even on the friggin list! We dont have time for what MOST (not all) rookie college head coaches would need to become a great head coach in the NFL. I dont even want any assistant head coaches unless they have been a head coach in the nfl at some time.
  19. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,433 Messages
    445 Likes Received
    I'm not defending the franchise. Parcells himself said that in a few years you wouldn't be able to tell he was even here. I have to agree with him.
  20. Kingsham

Kingsham Active Member

278 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    hire lovie smith.