1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If I were on the fence...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by vta, Sep 26, 2008.

1. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I'd probably still be on the fence and really I am. Not that I'd vote or Obama, but do I have confidence in McCain? Not really. He's learned the politics game quite well and he's playing it, and that's disheartening.

Watching this debate I don't see a cut and dry victory for anyone. I see a lot of posturing and political double speak. Obama seems more genuine; he's more genuine in his approach and in his message and he feels he's doing the right thing.

McCain all too often simply spoke of his record and experience, but offered no tangible policy that will make a difference. He stated that something has to be done, true, but not really what has to be done. He talked about cutting spending, he mentioned a few area's and Obama countered. I didn't come away feeling he has an answer.

Overall, in terms of economy, I'd say they both make salient points and I'd have a hard time, were I not so against Universal Healthcare.

The war in in Iraq and on terrorism in general, McCain hands down. I get the feeling Obama is playing to his base with his comments. I can't believe anyone in such a position is so naive about what the core of the problem is and will pander to the instant gratification sector of our society and talk about 9/11/bin Laden as though they are the root cause of the problem. They are the culmination, and very far from the root. Let's quit f-ing around and get down to brass tacks. Killing a battalion of U.S. Marines won't change American ideology, and killing a popular icon of terrorism won't defeat the ideology that spawned it.

McCain came across as a bit dissembling. Neither really gave a straight forward answer, much to the mediator's chagrin, who had to ask his question thrice, but McCain never acknowledged and went off on tangents, concerning his record and experience, which doesn't afford concrete answers to now and the future.

Simply: those in Obama's corner, will stay in Obama's corner, those in McCains corner will remain in his corner.

I'm not overly impressed with either, but I will stick with something I've said on an occasion or two: McCain will win and hold office for a term, a Democrat will then take the White House. Probably Clinton.
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,145 Messages
    6,944 Likes Received
    Didn't want to let this go unnoticed. Great post, vta.
  3. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Thanks. ;)
  4. EveryoneElse

EveryoneElse Active Member

3,877 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Well, then that lumps you in with 1% of people who have voted in a poll on fox news tonight.

Who won the debate?

82% McCain
    15% Obama
    1% Undecided
  5. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,045 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    Amazing the difference in opinion based on what channel people were watching. From CBS:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  6. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,640 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    faux news :laugh2:
  7. adamc91115

adamc91115 New Member

738 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would trust Fox's polls more than any others...

They have nearly equal numbers of Republican, Democrat, and Independent viewers.
  8. Eric_Boyer

4,640 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    sure they do. :laugh2:
  9. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Im not saying they do or don't. It is proven time and time again how left leaning both ABC/CNN/CBS and NBC are.

Why does Fox beat the piss out of all of the news networks? Im just curious.
  10. bobtheflob

bobtheflob New Member

1,768 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    OK, Fox's poll was a text poll where any viewer could text in who they thought won. The CBS (and other networks) poll was a legitimate telephone survey, so it is far more accurate.
  11. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,045 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    Ron Paul always won those. I guess his supporters have finally given up the fight. :(
  12. Dallas

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Just how did they do this PHONE survey? You seem to know a lot about the phone survey. Where was it taken? Which demographic area was CHOSEN?

Any idea? I didn't get a phone call. Im kinda upset.
  13. bobtheflob

bobtheflob New Member

1,768 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/09/26/politics/horserace/entry4482028.shtml

"CBS News and Knowledge Networks conducted a nationally representative poll of approximately 500 uncommitted voters reacting to the debate in the minutes after it happened.

Thirty-nine percent of uncommitted voters who watched the debate tonight thought Barack Obama was the winner. Twenty-four percent thought John McCain won. Thirty-seven percent saw it as a draw.

Forty-six percent of uncommitted voters said their opinion of Obama got better tonight. Thirty-two percent said their opinion of McCain got better.

Sixty-six percent of uncommitted voters think Obama would make the right decisions about the economy. Forty-two percent think McCain would.

Forty-eight percent of these voters think Obama would make the right decisions about Iraq. Fifty-six percent think McCain would.

We will have a full report on the poll later on. Uncommitted voters are those who don't yet know who they will vote for, or who have chosen a candidate but may still change their minds.

The margin of sampling error could be plus or minus 4 percentage points for results based on the entire sample."
  14. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,045 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    CNN poll numbers:

Who did the best job in the debate?

Barack Obama 51
    John McCain 38

Who would better handle Iraq?

Barack Obama 52
    John McCain 47

Who would better handle the economy?

Barack Obama 58
    John McCain 37

Copied and pasted from MyDD.com
  15. Eric_Boyer

4,640 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    This election is going to be extremely close.

There is no way you could of watched this debate and left thinking that 82% of the electorate would of clearly sided with either of the candidates after this debate.

And as someone else pointed out, Ron Paul's supporters (god bless us) showed how easy it is to game these text messaging polls.
  16. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,045 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    MediaCurves.com polling. Appears they didn't convince each others base, but it appears Obama did well with independent voters.

http://mediacurves.com/

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  17. Dallas

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received

I never said the vote was scientific. What is laughable is you have others in this same thread posting pretty much the same thing they are complaining against.

I get more entertainment from the left and right throwing up these polls and numbers like its some scientific fact. Thats rediculous.

Let them believe though, if that makes them sleep better at night. Im not one to get involved w/ any polls or numbers. Thats crazy thinking.
  18. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    That's very good to see.
  19. Royal Laegotti

Royal Laegotti Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!

4,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No it's not!!!1:mad:

:laugh2:
  20. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Get off the RMS Mctanic...it's going down.

:D