1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If Manny Lawson ends up

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SALADIN, Apr 28, 2006.

1. SALADIN

SALADIN Jumper

1,787 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Being an average pass rusher for us, at least we'll have a great power forward for the Cowboys spring basketball team.

[IMG]

That deserves a wow.
  2. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,093 Messages
    1,287 Likes Received
    OH NO! T.O. and Manny playing basketball in the off-season!!! They might break a nail!!!
  3. Funxva

Funxva Inventor of the Whizzinator

1,685 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Is that photoshopped? Don't they usually do that outside?
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I like Lawson but the one thing that concerns me is he is skinny as can bee, especially in the legs. I wonder what kind of lower body strength he has and can he handle the mauling type of O-linemen.
  5. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,890 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    It's an optical illusion. The basketball goal is actually farther away than the vertical jump measuring device.
  6. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Doesn't look like by much. Look at the shadow of the Measuring device. It is pretty sharp on the Basketball goal. I would think if it was that far away the shadow wouldn't be that sharp.
  7. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,890 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    You also have to consider the angle of the photograph. Still he has a lot of atheletic ability and according to my draft book had a 40" VJ.
  8. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,093 Messages
    1,287 Likes Received
    The guy is 6'6" and has a 39.5" vertical. Optical illusion or not that's ridiculously high.
  9. canters

canters Active Member

1,797 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    That photo is not altered. He will not be an average pass rusher, that is along as he is not killed by 330 OTs in this league. He is a thin tweener.
  10. rexrobinson

rexrobinson Active Member

1,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    its not an illusion, here is the whole pic where you can see the clearance he got that day.. the caption under the picture says he is not at his peak in this photo and still going up

[IMG]
  11. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    At least we know he can jump over the 330 LB tackles. :D
  12. VoR

VoR Member

562 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Actually, in this pic he's doing a 45" vertical at NC State's "Day of Champions".
    http://northcarolinastate.scout.com/2/423979.html
    It says"Lawson is at the top of the backboard and still rising" which means he actually went higher than that.
    Also to note, 2 of their linemen benched 550 at this event.
  13. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,382 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    If Lawson is an average pass rusher, he'll still be better than what we had last year with Fujita, who was practically non-existent when it came to pressuring the passer.

Rich..........
  14. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    I for one hope we get him!
  15. SALADIN

SALADIN Jumper

1,787 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  16. VoR

VoR Member

562 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    His scrawny legs are a concern although most reports I've read say he's very strong for his size. I think if he were trying to be a DE in the NFL it would be more of a concern, but projecting him to OLB might be a whole different story.

I would say getting the sacks he did in college going against good teams in the ACC speaks alot for him. Look what he did against Florida State in the video:
    http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=28f418f9-61c0-42d0-b88f-ae4846c77f5c&f=rss33
    He was playing straight up on OT's from a down position and not running free from a standup OLB position. This all may be a moot point if they get Carp instead.
  17. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Kind of ironic that the guy who is supposed to be more built for the position (Carpenter) is the one with the ankle injury. ;)
  18. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,382 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    [IMG]

All I gotta say is.....PARCELLS' SILENCE IS DEAFENING!

Rich....
  19. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

2,500 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    Yep for sure, but he ain't worth a #18 pick then....
  20. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    Carpenter is the only one to question when it comes to pass rush ability. Its just not his strength when comparing to top rushers in the draft like Lawson and Wimbley. He does have his strengths over them but I think those strengths cry out ILB.