1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If Poe is there and i do mean if? We have to get him!

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Bigtommyb, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Bigtommyb

Bigtommyb Member

371 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    While i do agree with getting a cb in round two or three possibly as the insurance for Mike Jenkins exiting or getting hurt. I feel now that we have Carr in the fold if Dontario Poe is there at 14 it would be a major draft day mistake if we don't get him! Draft is first wish then alternative!

Mock Draft

Poe-DT /Barron-SS
    Blake- C/Curry- DE/OLB
    Holsley- CB/Minnefield- CB
    Polk- Wash. St- 3DRB/Brooks-CB
    Butler- P- Georgia
    Keyshawn Martin-Michigan St- WR/KR
    ?
  2. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,016 Messages
    506 Likes Received
    Id rather have Fletcher Cox than Poe if we go DT at 14

As someone said earlier though, if we go DT we can move Rat to DE and kill two birds with one stone so I like the pick.
  3. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,390 Messages
    896 Likes Received
    Poe might turn out to be great, but his production hasn't exactly matched his measurables at a "smaller" school from what I've read.

Cox has made more of an impact at a bigger school and in one of the best football conferences.
  4. Wolf2k5

Wolf2k5 Active Member

855 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    Remember reading he wasn't a hard worker. Just a workout warrior. If we take hope its not true
  5. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,532 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    He's your classic boom or bust prospect. Size and athleticism to be a force. At the same time, i could see him being a complete no-show and a distant memory in less than 2-3 years. I'd have to trust the scouts and the front office as they analyze his game film and get to know him personally.
  6. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I'd rather have Fletch also but wouldn't we be looking at him for DE instead of DT/NT?
  7. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Poe scares the crap out of me. his size strength and quickness are incredible but his numbers arent there and of course the only thing I can see him on are the youtube stuff but he just does not look that great. normally a kid will show you something that says he has something here. Poe just dosent seem to show that
  8. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,016 Messages
    506 Likes Received
    He's not a prototypical 3/4 nose, he's a little on the smallish side right at 300 but we run so many different fronts in Rob's defense. Cox was a stud getting after the QB at Miss st though. I honestly dont know how he would hold up as a gap filler.

Poe just seems like a big risk from everything I've read.
  9. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,419 Messages
    2,998 Likes Received
    So no to Poe.

Production doesn't equal his physical skills.
  10. marchetta

marchetta Well-Known Member

3,074 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    That's the knock on him. And, that why we WON'T be taking him. JG is always stressing that any player on this team has to, "Play the game right." Poe was lazy in college, and couldn't even make 1st, or 2nd, team in his own conference. This is because of his lack of ability, OR, his laziness. Either way, that's not a JG type of player. The two players we're going to get will be Cox or DeCastro. They both give Dallas what they're looking for (Pass Rusher / Pass Protector). While, meeting JG demand for a player that plays the game right. Anyone hoping for Poe is just deluding themselves.
  11. Bigtommyb

Bigtommyb Member

371 Messages
    6 Likes Received

That's my argument with Cox, it's the same story he is barely 300 and i can't look at him as a gap filler. I mean there all a crapshot but i'm taking a shot with Poe's size and athleticism at 345. The combine is also a big stage and he steped up ,so ypou can't overlook that. It's not everything but you can't discount it!
  12. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,658 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Same was said of Ngata in college.

I also like Cox, I've seen him play plenty. Poe just has far more upside as of right now, its just a matter of how much risk you can handle. A 345 pound man that can play both NT and DE is pretty rare and it shouldn't be ignored cause if he does meet his potential, he is a guy that would never be available in free agency.
  13. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,133 Messages
    659 Likes Received
    I think the Cowboys should do their homework on Poe,he should be an option at 14.
  14. Bigtommyb

Bigtommyb Member

371 Messages
    6 Likes Received

Jerry just put money into Spears and Hatcher last year, Cox won't be a DT? Your deluding yourself if you think you just take one facet and run with it to make a decision. While his film is the most impoortant, but the big stage and a kid becoming a man sometimes turns a light on! The combine was a spotlight event and he clearly was the best story coming out of that and those are the facts. These kids are all a crapshot but Cox is not a DT. I'd take him but i'd take a shot with Poe first!
  15. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,280 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    The fourteenth pick is not the time to roll dice.
  16. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,426 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    Go watch some tape of Poe then come back. No ****ing thanks.
  17. poost

poost Active Member

692 Messages
    167 Likes Received
    I remember a post a while back stating that the combine just makes scouts watch more tape if a prospects numbers are not what they expected. I'm a big fan of game film over combine numbers. Poe's number are very impressive, and should warrant another look at his game film from scouts. However, if the film is still bad, then you have to trust that the team will stay away from him.
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Was it?

I don't remember if it was or it wasn't but I know he missed almost the entire 2003 season because of a torn ACL which also slowed him down the following year.

Even if it was a legit criticism, I still don't think the two compare considering Ngata played in a much better conference and still was way more productive despite the knee injury.

19. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,658 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Well in Ngata's case it was more of a motor issue (at least some thought that), although really in college he would just wear down quick. He was just the type that would run out of gas late in a game, but some thought it was cause he lacked motor. Of course that wasn't true.

It has to be considered where Poe is coming from. They were 2-10, just a bad team in general where he got no help. In the right environment, he could be real special, but of course he could also be a bust.
  20. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I'm sure they do a lot of homework