1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If Sean Payton comes to Dallas

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CATCH17, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    This man speaks the truth.
  2. Bluestang

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received

As opposed to the one that's operated in it since 2007?

You can do better than this.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,724 Messages
    2,399 Likes Received
    That's exactly what I mean. Disruption of fantasy leads to anger I suppose.
  4. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    The thing is Peyton is the "One that got away" for Jerry. He is who he hopes Garrett would be. Jerrys dilema is Do you keep garrett in hopes that someday he will be a superbowl winning HC or Go for the guy who has done it?
  5. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,366 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    CL, they sound that way because they are staunch JG supporters and Payton arrival would mean that their guy has failed. Saying that he's not coming here is another way of endorsing Garrett for another year. Most of the people that want Payton here were never really on the JG bandwagon so, since that's the case, if they can't have Garrett then they don't want us (the people that want Payton) to have our guy as hc.
    As strange as it sounds, they would rather lose with Garrett than potentially win with Payton all for the sake of not be proven wrong.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,467 Messages
    6,172 Likes Received
    I'd be shocked, straight up flabbergasted, if that were the case. Gruden was rumored to be enamored of this job. Holmgren would probably take it. Cowher, not so much, but he's been available. Andy Reid's in play. Rex Ryan might be gone from the Jets in the not-too-distant future.

However you slice it, this is the league's flagship franchise. It pays well, and a string of coaches are all on record saying that Jerry Jones isn't nearly the meddler he's reported to be. When Jerry wants something, he pretty much gets it. I'd be shocked to see him lose out on a quality coach if he has time to make the switch. And I don't think going the Superbowl retread route is probably going to be the right decision, anyway. I'd much rather find the right coordinator and hand him over a roster that he can work with and give him the time to prove what he can do without undue interference.

Which, coincidentally, is what Jerry Jones is doing with Jason Garrett. It's, ironically, why he's unlikely to make a change this offseason, anyway. And it's the best policy for the franchise in the long run.

And, as I said before, there's no reason to think Sean Payton might not also be available in a year or so if we want another crack at him again. If he's really worried about the NOLA succession, he's in the drivers' seat when it comes to getting a coach's option put in whatever new deal he signs. He's not going to box himself into a bad situation if there's another good option in the offing a year or two down the road.
  7. Bluestang

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    So when Payton comes here and brings his fancy WCO hybrid offense and Romo gets knocked of the game because the OL sucks what then?

Next HC up?
  8. cowboyfan4life2

cowboyfan4life2 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    And maybe Megan fox will be under my xmas tree this year. Why would a sb winning coach take a step down and come to work for the worst coach in the league.
  9. maxdallasfan

maxdallasfan Well-Known Member

1,174 Messages
    444 Likes Received
    .....I'll kiss my mother in law!
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,467 Messages
    6,172 Likes Received
    They've already forgotten they turned on him the last time he was here. You expect them to envision how quickly they'll turn on him if he comes back? C'mon, now. Everybody hates the starter and loves the backup. That's just how this works.
  11. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,366 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    If Payton comes he or not, online still needs to be fixed next year. It has nothing to do with who's coaching.
  12. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,689 Messages
    1,900 Likes Received
    If attendance and tv ratings really are down for the Cowboys then Garrett getting fired seems inevitable if he turns in another mediocre season.

He can't really make a flashy free agent signing because we don't need Ny high end skill players so he can't sale general fans on that.

He also can't get people buying into the team with an upgraded oline even though it would help a lot.

He has to make a coaching switch because if Garrett puts together 3 straight years like he has then his attendance and ratings will get even lower.

Jerry has the power because of this teams popularity.
  13. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    No way, Jack.
  14. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

I dont understand your point?

Garrett has not had success here, the offense gets worse under him and now he has been given full control and the team has become worse and worse.

Garrett has failed. His staff has failed. His offseasons have failed.

I still dont get your point.

Payton is a successful coach, I think him understanding the circus will not prohibit him from having success here. he is instant crediblity to the organization and accountability to the players. that will rub off on everything from Free agent signings, to practice habits, to on field performance and to coaches around the league who might want to come here with him.

the current regime has failed. bottom line.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,408 Messages
    8,306 Likes Received
    The only thing I'll say about Payton to Dallas is I do believe the reports that this is the one place he'd consider leaving New Orleans for.

Other than that, sorry....I just don't believe it's going to happen. I think it would take an epic collapse to make Jerry give up on Garrett after two years. He's only ever done that with Chan Gailey and he said he regrets it.
  16. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    well that is all fine.

I am of the opinion that payton is in the top tier of coaches in this league and I do not believe there is another one who would come here when there are multiple options.
  17. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    When you go to a game at the stadium you will see a million dez bryant jerseys.

you will never see a tyron smith jersey. I have yet to see one in two years.

that kind of twisted crap matters to the people in charge here.
  18. Risen Star

21,408 Messages
    8,306 Likes Received
    What you say should be true. It isn't. This is still the show. Coaches want to be here. Every great coach or aspiring great coach has an ego. That ego wants to be the guy to turn the Cowboys into winners again. There is just no bigger stage in all of sports. Winning a Super Bowl in Atlanta is not the same as winning it here.

Jerry Jones has his pick of coaches anytime he chooses. Gruden, Payton, Cowher, Reid. He could land any one of them if he really wanted to.
  19. Risen Star

21,408 Messages
    8,306 Likes Received
    That's one way to look at it if you're an owner. Another way is your team will never be more popular than when they're winning. Quality offensive and defensive lineman help you win. Their play will lead to more jersey sales of the skill position players.
  20. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I'm on board with Sean Payton, but I'm not offended. :D