1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If Sean Payton comes to Dallas

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CATCH17, Nov 26, 2012.

1. cowboyfan4life2

cowboyfan4life2 Well-Known Member

1,116 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    1. The Cowboys can pay him more

2. There is a talented qb on the roster, who he has worked with before, and a talented defense in place.

3. If he wins another sb in no, been there done that. If he takes one of the legendary sports franchises who has fallen on hard times lately, and wins a sb, he will be a hero.

4. He probably wants to distance himself from the saints and all the bounty gate crap.
  2. jgboys1

jgboys1 Well-Known Member

3,712 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    Get your riot gear ready, beacause it's going to happen.
  3. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No reason to bring Loomis along. He isn't really a personnel guy, he is a numbers guy. And the reason for the language in payton's contract with NO was to make sure he did not end up reporting to Benson's granddaughter.

edit: and more evidence of Loomis being just the numbers guy: he is now running the Hornets since Benson bought them as well. They have a basketball guy GM under Loomis.
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,300 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    Jerry has to sale hope. If he brings Garrett back only the homerist of the homers will buy in.

It's his mistake and it's time for him to open up his pocket book and pay the piper.
  5. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,625 Messages
    1,070 Likes Received
    Agreed. Also, with rumors flying, if he had no desire to coach in Dallas, he would have already long since shot it down like Holmgren did.
  6. TVMan

TVMan Active Member

790 Messages
    52 Likes Received

Yes I understand the rule. My point is, would the Cowboys be the first team that the league takes exception with for doing this?

Considering the circumstances.
  7. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    no chance on mickey loomis the gm.

Jerry has decided Stephen is the most qualified GM he knows and will pass the torch to him.

I am sure it was a tough decision amongst the applicants.
    Gene Jones, Charlote Anderson (jones), Stephen Jones and Jerry Jr.

of that group jerry has decided on stephen.

and stephen will be singing the praises of payton and how they worked together under parcells and have a relationship. It will be all too convenient.

I absolutely love the idea of sean payton here, it will be like going back to 03 and having a real football coach in charge and I wouldnt be suprised if some of those old assistants showed up here with him.

guys like Todd bowles, Tony sporano (if the jets clean house). david lee, Gary Gibbs etc.

I imagine gibbs, sporano and bowles are all going to be part of staffs that are fired. Lee is just the qb coach and could be hired under a promotion.

hiring payton would re-energize this whole thing. It would be a complete 180.
  8. SDCowboy85

14,625 Messages
    1,070 Likes Received
    What do you mean?
  9. TVMan

TVMan Active Member

790 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Not seriously considering a minority candidate for the position. Window dressing if you will. They did it with Parcells. They did it with Garrett.
  10. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    I agree, hiring him is not an immediate success story.

but the offense would be better from day one without question. The team itself needs time to be built under a qualified coach.

Investing the time in payton would be worth it.

and Payton accomplished what he wanted in new orleans and has already seen some negative flowback from the home in the sort of dallas area and the bounty gate suspension.

It would be all candy and nuts as romo likes to say for payton here early.

I have zero doubt payton would love to set his mark in this league for ever by winning in Dallas. No matter what anyone says it is different.

The atmosphere at the games used to be so much fun, there was so much optimsm and excitement. Now its just dreadful.

people are underestimating how bad it is. When you realize what a statement it is that jerry, stephen and garrett can not be shown on the video board at home well that should help set it in.

There is no way to resell the garretts and the jones's in the offseason to people who do not even want to see your face on the key marketing device in the stadium. It cant be done.

only winning in december could fix that and this team is going to get killed from here on out.

Sean Payton is the perfect candidate. Its a get out of jail free card in the short term for the jones family and it will sell hope and promise to the fans here. Its a 180 and the only way.
  11. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Payton aside I don't like this discussion at all because EVERYONE knows JJ is not going to hire a GM over himself.

What a waste of time to even discuss it.

I don't play fantasy-dreamland w/ fans.

Gosh, what would you do w/ 1billion dollars? ZzzZZZZzzZZ BORING!
  12. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    There is literally no chance.
  13. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,769 Messages
    748 Likes Received
    I don't see why.

The Rooney Rule is not about forcing teams to hire anybody. It's about attempting to curb the disparity between the high amount of African-American players and the low amount of African-American coaches.

By allowing a minority candidate to go first, that presents *some* opportunity for the candidate to knock the socks off the team and become a surprise hire. Granted, that is slim.

But what the Rooney Rule is more set to do is give experience and insight for the minority candidate for future HC opportunities with different teams. By getting the interview, they will know what the process is like and what they have to do in order to get a HC position in the future, be it with that team or another team.

That's why the NFL doesn't go after teams they think are not taking a minority candidate seriously. It's not about actually hiring a minority candidate. That and they would have no grounds to change their mind in this situation.

YR
  14. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,300 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    Heck I would take Sporano over Garrett.
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,702 Messages
    2,448 Likes Received
    Sorry, guess I wasn't clear there... I meant that I think odds are that he won't end up here, not that he wouldn't have success if he did get the job. Because I think he absolutely would. Crayton has been on your favorite radio station the last couple of Saturdays and he has great praise for Payton. Basically says he's like a young Parcells.
  16. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Why don't you just go all the way and admit being a Saints fan? Its easier than what you propose.
  17. SDCowboy85

14,625 Messages
    1,070 Likes Received
    The rule is a complete joke to begin with. Who is the NFL to say what a "serious" consideration is? They can't tell a team they weren't serious.
  18. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,300 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    Has he said anything about Garrett?

Im a fan that wants to see his team finally have some success. So yes I want Sean Payton over Jason Garrett. Of course.
  19. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    sort of.

Romo always credited QB/quality control coach David Lee for his development along with Vinny Testaverde for teaching him how to be a pro.

Payton was knee deep in trying to get torin tucker to block long enough for bledsoe to throw the ball on a day to day basis.

Sean payton matched with romo would be perfect.

I will always remember that 05 season when we lost to oakland were not playing well on offense and then the next week we stomped a mudhole in the eagles at texas stadium. Bledsoe credited parcells for allowing payton to come up with the gameplan and basically let it be his. It was attack attack attack. exactly what we see in new orleans.

it would still take time, but it would reunite the fans and bring back faith that we have a chance and it would get the fans off jerry and stephen.

you can not underestimate that. This morning on the ticket they were telling people the only way to get through to jerry is in april when they call to reup on our season tickets tell them no not if jerry is the gm and garrett is the coach. (its not that simple because of psl's) point stands though.

The jones family is not going to just miss this.

The stadium against the saints and steelers will seal the fate of this whole group. It will force change.
  20. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    gotcha.

I heard crayton and he said what many feel, the players would immediately know sean payton was in charge and it would not be like it is with garrett/wade.

That can not be understated.

if the saints and cowboys tank in december I think there is a chance the saints realize paytons value and lay it all out there for him. IF they win and get the 6 seed and we tank.....well anything is possible at that point.