1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If the draft fell this way who would you take rounds 1-7 and why

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by theranchsucks, Jan 8, 2014.

1. bodi

bodi Active Member

499 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    well it would not be a bad idea if he can also play OG and in case Fred gets hurt
  2. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,347 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    I get that but if it was to play Fred at guard I'd rather we just draft a guard and leave him where he is. If it's insurance against injury then I think we have more pressing needs. Personally I would not be pleased if we use a pick on a centre
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,855 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    Wow... I think I might cry myself to sleep if this was our draft.
  4. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    Sam tied Aldon Smith's team record in sacks with a clutch strip-sack to win Missouri's bowl game.

Led the SEC (the SEC) in tackles for loss and sacks.

I think his workouts/combine will have him move into the late first. Don't forget, either -- all Greg Ellis did was make it near impossible to run to the right and tally 10+ sacks a year, seemingly every year while he was in Dallas...from the SDE spot. Greg Ellis doesn't get any respect around here!
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,913 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    I dont disagree that Sam is a real good player, but this team needs a speed rusher bad, as well as more push inside. I don't think he gives you either of those things...plus he's a redshirt senior, so he'll be like what, 23 when the draft rolls around (cant find his bday)
  6. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    He doesn't need to give us speed rush. He's got the power to push the pocket and set the edge. We've got linebackers, corners, and safeties to give us blitzing pressure with great speed. What we need is a pocket push.
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,913 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    It's easier to get a pocket push in the 2nd round with a good DT than it is to get an elite speed rusher though.

And I know I only through it on as a tangent there in my last post, but the fact that he's a redshirt senior is always a red flag to me. These guys are simply older and more physically mature than a lot of their competition, they should put up some good numbers.
  8. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,037 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Josh Mauro was in my class in high school, had no idea he was a DE or even a good NFL prospect.
  9. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,818 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    I'm not sold on Hageman....he seems to get swallowed up a little too easily for a guy his size/power.
  10. JDSTAR

JDSTAR Active Member

216 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Wow!! Was he at least a good guy?
  11. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

1,729 Messages
    739 Likes Received
    1- DE Kony Ealy
    2- S Dion Bailey
    3- RB D'Anthony Thomas
    4- OG Tre Jackson
    5- DT Calvin Barnett
    7- LB Prince Shembo
    7- DT Caraun Reid
    7- QB Jeff Mathews
  12. ccb04

ccb04 Active Member

218 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Like this. Actually posted a draft on another forum that had the first 4 picks the same, but it was a trade down scenario for an additional 3rd that had Murphy or Aaron Donald as potential options in round one. Quarles and Kareem Martin were possible options in round 2. The additional 3rd round pick was QB Jimmy Garropolo if available, and a couple of WR's if not (and if releasing Austin). The 4th round was potential options of Ladler, Terrence Brooks or Marqueston Huff at FS. In the 5th I had DT Ryan Carrethers or OL Wes Johnson from Vanderbilt.

Love the Smallwood pick. Was a big fan of his former teammate Sio Moore last year. Think he could play inside or outside, and had 3-year career totals of 332 tackles, 27 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks, 16 passes defensed & 6 FF's.
  13. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,162 Messages
    646 Likes Received
    Round 1: Taylor Lewan OT Michigan
    Round 2: Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
    Round 3: Kyle Fuller CB Virgina Tech
    Round 4: Aaron Murray QB Georgia
    Round 5: Taylor Hart DE/DT Oregon
    Round 7: Bennett Jackson CB Notre Dame
    Round 7: Ben Gardner DE Stanford

In fact, this would pretty much be a dream draft for me. Addresses every single area of need and adds depth and versatility on the DL with a couple guys who can play inside and out.
  14. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,037 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Oh yeah, he was a great guy. He was nice and everyone liked him. He was tall and thin so I was surprised he was a DE but that was in 2009 lol
  15. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

956 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Almost forgot about good ole Trey Millard, now that is a player. I hope we can snag him UDFA after that nasty knee injury.
  16. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,818 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    If it fell this way:

1.Trent Murphy, DE-would prefer to drop down a bit and still get him, but I know what I'm getting with him and it's pretty darn good.

2.Aaron Donald, DT-Yikes, Murphy AND Donald in the first two round, suddenly the pass rush looks A LOT better.

3. Carl Bradford, OLB-This guy plays flat out angry and I want more angry players playing with a star on their helmet.

4. Caraun Reid, DT-Dallas sends waves of pass rushers for a change.

5. Bryan Stork, C-Can play guard or center.

7a.James Wilder Jr-Tough runner, big enough to carry load.

7b.Cody Latimer Wr-Could be a steal at this point. Passionate player and physical, like the rest of the draft.