1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If The Draft Were Held Today

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by sureletsrace, Nov 1, 2012.

1. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

2,055 Messages
    439 Likes Received
    If the draft happened today, what would I do if I were running the War Room? If the draft were today, the Cowboys would be picking 16th overall. I'm going to use this as their pick in every round. I will not be selecting any players that are ranked above where the Cowboys will be drafting at. I am using CBSSports Top 250.

1 (16) - Barrett Jones | OG | Alabama |
    6'4" 305lb - Finally, the pick that fans have been clamoring for. A top-tier, high-potential, starting-caliber interior offensive lineman. I particularly do not care which position he starts at, as he has played at every position along the line; just give me the best 5 players.

2 (48) - John Simon | DE/OLB | Ohio State |
    6'2" 260lb - Don't let his boring, non-football name deceive you. Noted as arguably the most relentless and motivated player in college football, Urban Meyer himself compared John Simon's football dedication and work ethic "Tebowish". He is a workout warrior and has all of the ability to succeed in the NFL.

3 (80) - Khaled Holmes | C | Southern California | 6'3" 305lb - Another player that has what I am looking for: versatility. He can play any 3 interior line positions, and like I said with Barrett Jones, I don't care where you line him up at. Just give me the best players.

4 (112) - Logan Ryan | CB | Rutgers | 6'0" 190lb - Excellent corner depth, good size, physicality, and athleticism.

5 (144) - Silas Redd | RB | Southern California |
    5'10" 200lb - Good blend of interior toughness for the grind-em-out yardage, with more than enough speed to stretch it out and turn the corner. Good vision.

6 (176) - Daimion Stafford | FS | Nebraska | 6'1" 205lb - Smooth, flexible athlete with good acceleration. Likes to blow plays up with heavy hitting and aggressive attitude. Has good vision of the field to diagnose plays and makes quick, accurate reads wasting little time.

7 (208) - Quinn Sharp | P | Oklahoma State |
    6'1" 205lb - Best punter in the country. Averaging nearly 46 yards per punt. No more punter carousel.
  2. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,567 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    We don't have a 7th rd pick. We traded it to Miami for Cook.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,550 Messages
    1,416 Likes Received
    Rather have Warmack or Jake Matthews than Jones. I think they can do better than Simon round two. I also think pass rush round one, O Line round two.
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,974 Messages
    5,349 Likes Received
    Nice effort, nice write-ups and nice formatting; however, my opinions on the players differ somewhat from yours.

1 (16) - Barrett Jones | OG | Alabama | 6'4" 305lb - Finally, the pick that fans have been clamoring for. A top-tier, high-potential, starting-caliber interior offensive lineman. I particularly do not care which position he starts at, as he has played at every position along the line; just give me the best 5 players.
    I think he ends up in the 2nd round. IMO, he is overrated by the fans/media because he plays for Alabama. I like this player ok, but to me he is Kyle Kosier.

2 (48) - John Simon | DE/OLB | Ohio State |
    6'2" 260lb - Don't let his boring, non-football name deceive you. Noted as arguably the most relentless and motivated player in college football, Urban Meyer himself compared John Simon's football dedication and work ethic "Tebowish". He is a workout warrior and has all of the ability to succeed in the NFL.
    Great "motor" and they say his muscles have muscles; however, he might be a jack-of-all-trades but master-of-none. He's played some DE, DT, OLB and ILB. To me, he is best as an inside player. He does not seem to have the flexibility or agility to be an outside "bend-the-corner" type of pass rusher in the NFL. On the inside of the DL, he is currently undersized and I question how much weight he can add when he's already rocked-up to the max.

3 (80) - Khaled Holmes | C | Southern California | 6'3" 305lb - Another player that has what I am looking for: versatility. He can play any 3 interior line positions, and like I said with Barrett Jones, I don't care where you line him up at. Just give me the best players.
    Love this pick. Holmes would be a steal at #80, IMO. I think he could start for the Cowboys next week.

4 (112) - Logan Ryan | CB | Rutgers | 6'0" 190lb - Excellent corner depth, good size, physicality, and athleticism.
    The 4th would be a good spot to get a developmental CB.

5 (144) - Silas Redd | RB | Southern California |
    5'10" 200lb - Good blend of interior toughness for the grind-em-out yardage, with more than enough speed to stretch it out and turn the corner. Good vision.
    Good.

6 (176) - Daimion Stafford | FS | Nebraska | 6'1" 205lb - Smooth, flexible athlete with good acceleration. Likes to blow plays up with heavy hitting and aggressive attitude. Has good vision of the field to diagnose plays and makes quick, accurate reads wasting little time.
    Ok.

7 (208) - Quinn Sharp | P | Oklahoma State |
    6'1" 205lb - Best punter in the country. Averaging nearly 46 yards per punt. No more punter carousel.
    Even if they had a 7th, what's wrong with Chris Jones for next year?
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Warmack is a better guard. He is strong enough to plug and play.
  6. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,044 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    Chris Faulk LSU who injured his knee was a top rated tackle before the injury we might be able to pull a carter/lee on him in the second(He was vying for the top tackle spot before the injury(knee).

First RD need that rushing DLineman or OLBer(IMO) to augment/replace Spencer. Sam Montgomery LSU(I know another LSU) could be on the radar along with Alex Okafor(Texas).
  7. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We can definitely get a better pass rusher than Simon, but it sounds like he has something this team needs bad. LEADERSHIP/PASSION/FIRE.
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,974 Messages
    5,349 Likes Received
    Good idea on the injured player scenario. The Cowboys have had some success with that approach.

Chris Faulk has another year of eligibility remaining. Two injured Seniors are OLB/DE Brandon Jenkins and OT Brennan Williams.
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,877 Messages
    4,930 Likes Received
    That is a great question.
  10. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,283 Messages
    1,724 Likes Received
    Tank the rest of the season and trade up to the number 1 pick to get a QB. Trade Romo for shoe strings to make sure everyone's ankles are well supported.
  11. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Or keeping Moorman