1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If we get DeCastro at #14

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by a_minimalist, Apr 19, 2012.

1. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,689 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    If we get DeCastro at #14 would you be willing to reach and draft Bruce Irvin in round 2 at #45? It sounds like a couple of teams are really interested and there's always the possibility they reach.

I would be okay with reaching and drafting him in round 2. I like him that much.
  2. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,504 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Sounds good but doubting Bruce Irvin will be considered a reach at #45 and if DeCastro or Cox are there, why reach in the 2nd there is value beyond OLB.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,494 Messages
    9,648 Likes Received
    I've never heard anyone say they'd be okay with reaching.
  4. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Heck no, you have a solid smart draft going, why ruin it with the next pick.
  5. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,427 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    I know Bruce Irvin has been talked about as a 3rd rounder but is drafting him @ 45 a huge reach? I don't know much about him other than he's very raw n has the physical tools and showed he can have great upside.
  6. a_minimalist

4,689 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    I mean technically it wouldn't be reaching. Think of Ware being projected to go in the second round and then us taking him at #11. That at the time was a reach. I think Irvin who is projected to go in the 3rd by most being taken in the 2nd is a smart "reach."

You'd know more about Bruce Irvin than I would but he seems like he just has a knack for getting after people and QB's. He's a beast.

As we inch closer to draft day I'm starting to doubt he will even be around in the 3rd round and I'd love to see him wearing a :star: .
  7. VThokie7

VThokie7 Well-Known Member

1,965 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    It took a lot of losing accompanied with fan and media outcry for Jerry to break his habit of reaching. Why give him the chance to return to his old ways? No reaching!
  8. a_minimalist

4,689 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Well I agree. But I still behind the fact that it really isn't reaching.

It's reaching, but it really isn't reaching. :eek:
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,462 Messages
    2,363 Likes Received
    If we take a player at 45, I would like to think we vlaue him in the tier that puts at or near 45. If we don't have him valued that way then there's never a reason to take him there if we can help it.
  10. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    IF Irvin was the highest rated player on their board, then I'd be fine with the pick. But then it's not reaching, and unless they are valuing him WAY higher than they should be, he won't be at the top of their board at #45. If he is, they've got much bigger problems.

The Cowboys have WAY too many holes to fill to reach for anyone.
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,612 Messages
    5,771 Likes Received
    Good question.

There is a good chance that Irvin will be the highest rated player on "my" board at #45; however, if I'm the team and think that he will be available at 81, then I'd wait.

I've thought about this senerio before. What if a player is the highest rated on a team's board at a given pick, BUT they are convinced that every other team has him rated at least 1 round lower?
  12. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    As a rule of thumb, when I face this question, I choose to take another player who I know is rated as worthy of the pick and take a chance the other will fall to the next round. No one player short of a franchise Qb at the top of the first is going to make or break the draft, and there are usually enough other quality players to take that taking an unnecessary risk is...well...unnecessary.
  13. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,469 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    If the highest rated player on your board is there you have two good options.

You take him and don't take any chances.
    or
    You trade back a bit and hope he is still there.

Personally, I don't think Irvin is a reach midway through the second no matter how the draft shapes up.