1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

If you were to draft solely by need....

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by a_minimalist, Sep 23, 2012.

1. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    go....

1) FS (sorry have to go against my better judgement and ignore SOLB/DT)
    2) C
    3) G/T
    4) G/T
    5) SOLB
    6) DT
    7) TE

Again, this is just for fun. I'm always thinking about the draft and am about as a far away from an expert as you can possibly be. I do look forward to more knowledgable fans who post their ideas.
  2. MoClaiborne24

MoClaiborne24 Member

456 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    1. OL
    2. OL
    3. OL
    4. OL
    5. OL
    6. OL
    7. OL

For real...

1. OL/S
    2. OL/S
    3. OL
    4. OL/DL
    5. OL/DL
    6. OL/DL
    7. OL/DL
  3. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,554 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    Ot
    Og
    Oc
    S
    De
  4. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Mine are:

1. Center

2. OLB

3.CB--assuming m. jenkins leaves. One with KR/PR ability, if available.

4.LT--Draft or FA and let him compete with T.Smith and the loser is RT

5.NT/DT--Draft or FA

6. & 7.RB,S,OL,WR

In just acquiring two offensive lineman, C & LT, it will go a long way in solving our Oline problems, much like the two acquisitions(Carr, Mo) solved a large part of our defenses problems. Some of these needs will have to be solved by FA and others by the Draft. It can be done if the FO can actually recognize their needs, sometimes I have my doubts. and then hopefully they will know how to correct.
  5. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,145 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    Remember people there is free agency also. Jarius Byrd would be a perfect fit in dallas system
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

18,979 Messages
    4,149 Likes Received
    1. Owner
    2. GM
    3. Vice President of Personnel
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,368 Messages
    665 Likes Received
    1) OT

2) PRush

3) C

4) S

5) play making TE
  8. Romo 2 Austin

Romo 2 Austin Draft Zone Supporter

11,699 Messages
    215 Likes Received
    Barrett Jones is our #1 need. Can play (and start) at the NFL level at Center, Tackle and Guard. I'd love him get him and put him in at LG next to Smith next year, sign a big free agent Center and then in 3rd grab whatever tackle is at the top of the board and hope he can do something.

Everything after that really depends on who leaves us in the offseason. If we lose Felix and Jenkins as is speculated than we need to get a HB, I would like a power back in around the 4th round I like Michigan States Leveon Bell. In the 2nd I would like a d-linemen, DE or DT. I was happy with Church at safety but with him out for the year I fear safety may become a big need for us once more.
  9. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,084 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    Too much money and time invested in Bernardeau and Livings. They will be guaranteed another year FOR SURE before we cut them and take the hit. Center is the only position we are likely to upgrade in. :(
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt °¤~Cold Eternal~¤° Staff Member

58,776 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received
    You get those in FA, not the draft.

Geez the stuff I have to put up with around here. ;)
  11. danielofthesaints

danielofthesaints Well-Known Member

1,035 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    No way Laveon Bell makes it to the 4th. He won't even sniff the 3rd round.
  12. Romo 2 Austin

11,699 Messages
    215 Likes Received
    At this point of the college season it is so volatile. I don't follow where players are suppose to go until the college season wraps up. Bell surely doesn't look like a 4th rounder to me but stranger things have happened. I wouldn't be against a 3rd on him, maybe a 2nd if he continues. Murray/Bell backfield would be great. It would be Foster/Tate lite.
  13. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,356 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    1. OL
    2. CB
    3. RB
    4. OL

Eight more needs not in order and source
    OL: Team or FA or Practice Squad
    WR: Team or FA Or Practice Squad
    TE: 5, 6, FA
    QB: 5, 6, FA
    DL: Practice Squad
    OLB: Wilber, 5,6, FA
    S: Team
    CB: 5,6, FA, Team
  14. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

33,204 Messages
    919 Likes Received
    If you drafted solely on need, then you would draft the best prospect available at a need position. You would not draft certain positions in certain rounds IMO.

If the best player available to us is at OLB, then we draft that guy. If it's Safety, then we take that guy. Same with OL or DL.
  15. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt °¤~Cold Eternal~¤° Staff Member

58,776 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received
    If you draft solely for need you wind up with the following...

Dwayne Goodrich
    Kareem Larrimore
    Mario Edwards

We needed CBs in that draft and we reached for those three.

If you draft solely for need you draft...

Quincy Carter

You need to make sure that you never draft just for pure need only. You get lucky when you have your biggest need also happen to fall in line with the best graded player(s) on your board.

When you deviate from the best graded player(s) on your board and go for the best position of player(s) on your board and those two do not come close...you are screwed.
  16. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    What if it's CB or QB?

I think need is always considered and plays a role. I think it plays no role in later rounds and a small role in the first 2. I don't think teams completely disregard need outright.
  17. Romo 2 Austin

11,699 Messages
    215 Likes Received
    If it's QB yes - Romo will be 33 next year, McNabb lost it at 33. I don't think Romos about to hit a wall but it's not some ridiculous idea to prepare for the future now. If it's CB probably not, trade down most likely. Even if we lose Jenkins we have Scandrick.
  18. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    When I talk about QB or CB I mean in the first or second round. That's when I think need plays a small role. I have a hard time believing we take either position in those rounds.
  19. Romo 2 Austin

11,699 Messages
    215 Likes Received
    This year 1st or 2nd round QB is now an option. CB is not unless something crazy happens (top 5 prospect falling to mid 20's, similar to Bryant.) Had Dalton fallen last year it is well known we would have drafted him. Garrett liked him.

Dalton has proved himself to be a competent starter in the NFL so Garrett does have an eye for QB talent, if he chooses to go QB in round 1 or 2 I will not be sounding the alarms. With Romo's age you can not be too aggressive. The Favre - Rodgers, Montana - Young QB switches have already shown what greatness can happen without a transition period.
  20. a_minimalist

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    My point is that need can play a role early on, even if it's a small role. I'm not arguing against BPA because that's obviously the smartest way to go. I just don't believe need is completely disregarded.