1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

I'll Tell You What I love About This Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Hostile, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile It Has Been Fun Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,213 Likes Received
    No one is talking about needing weapons. Whether you want OL, DL, or DB help it is about solidifying and stabilizing, not shiny new bells and whistles in the first round.

An indication most of us think we're on the cusp.
  2. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I do think we have a team of great skilled players. I never thought that was our problem.
  3. Nightshade

Nightshade Active Member

1,811 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    so close and yet...?!

Make it work Jason!
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,704 Messages
    1,503 Likes Received
    Were not talking about it. Never know what Jerry is talking about. Dont be shocked with a skill player as early as round 2.
  5. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    I've been begging to draft for both interior lines for the last 15 years: problem is, when they do, they miss. Let's hope last year isnt a fluke and its' the start of a new and improved draft philosophy at VR
  6. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think the problem is that we arent just one lineman or one DB away from contending. I think we need to come away from this draft with at least one new starter on both lines and a player who, one way or another, fits into our secondary in nickel packages (preferably a starting safety).

I'd be perfectly content with using all 8 of our current picks on linemen, linebackers and DBs. I'd like to see a pass catching TE somewhere, but that is secondary to me.
  7. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    think alot of people disagree i dont think i seen one mock that ryan broyles wasnt in :D
  8. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,986 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    I think the Cowboys will address safety/CB, DE, guard/center, WR, LB, and TE at some point during the draft. Positions that might be neglected could be QB, RB and tackle.
  9. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am 100% against using any of our picks on QBs or tackles. We have two good to great takles plus Parnell who is a solid backup swing tackle, and of course our two deep at QB is fine for the next 3-4 years.

I wouldn't mind a back like James or Gray to bring along for when we inevitably rid ourselves of Felix next year.
  10. Zimmy Lives

5,986 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    This is true. Maybe the 3rd round?
  11. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think we can wait until round four, unless we really want a guy like Martin who will be gone in the early second.
  12. Zimmy Lives

5,986 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    Agreed. I'd rather they go CB in the 3rd and target WR and/or RB in the 4th.
  13. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,291 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    I think they need another WR.

I suspect the team thinks they need another TE and maybe a RB.
  14. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,017 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    TE is skill position in today's NFL. New England's offense is going to have a big influence on the development of offense in the NFL. I read an article explaining how the 2 TE offense really limits the defenses ability to dictate to the offense.

I like the TE out of Clemson. Not sure if he can block but the guy looks like Gates at times in the passing game.
  15. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,070 Messages
    958 Likes Received
    Great point.

BTW, misread the first point and originally thought it said shiny new balls. True story
  16. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,096 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    We'd be closer to winning if we had the trenches but lacked the skill position players (QB being the exception) then we are in our situation which is the opposite.

I think the reason most people are talking about these positions now is cause we've been either neglecting them or terrible at drafting for them and we're a bad team because of it
  17. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I've long believed we should be focuing on OL and the front 7, and I don't think we're on the cusp. ~shrug~ More like the Cowboys finally exhibiting the tiniest hint of common sense. No matter how the draft falls out the next few days, the Cowboys are still likely no better than the 3rd best team in the NFCE.

Maybe its just more of a signal that Jones has a grown up in the draft room with him in Garrett, the way he did when Parcells was there.
  18. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    There is a natural balance there. We've taken Felix, Jenkins, and Dez lately. If we'd taken all interior guys instead, we'd need outside playmakers now. It's a myth that you just draft all up front and immediately win in today's NFL.
  19. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,525 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    My sentiments exactly.
  20. Hostile

Hostile It Has Been Fun Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,213 Likes Received
    Is anyone but me absolutely shocked down to your shorts by these "revelations?"