1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Image Of U.S. Given Boost By Obama

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by zrinkill, Jun 4, 2009.

1. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,046 Messages
    790 Likes Received
    The image of the U.S. overseas has been given a positive bounce from President Obama.

A 22-country Ipsos-Reuters poll shows 42 percent of the respondents have a favorable impression of America.

The figure is six percentage points larger since Obama's election in November.

The survey indicates favorable views increased to 49 percent in Turkey, the only majority Muslim nation that was polled.

The poll was conducted between April 14th and May 7th, after Obama was in Istanbul and talked with religious leaders.

Clifford Young of Ipsos Global Public Affairs says Obama is having a positive effect and is making a vital global contribution to boosting U.S. credibility.

Out of the 22 nations polled, three failed to record an increase in the positive image of the U.S.

Russia remained unchanged at 18 percent, Poland recorded a decline of four points to 48 percent and the Czech Republic went down a point to 35 percent.

http://mystateline.com/content/fulltext/?cid=72202

I am actually surprised its not more than a .06 rise.
  2. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Funny how no one ever seems to care what Americans think of the world, be it Europe or the Middle East. Instead, we're the ones to be judged and scrutinized. Yep, very funny indeed.
  3. firehawk350

firehawk350 Active Member

2,108 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm curious what an Israeli poll would look like...
  4. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  5. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You'll never see one. Jews and Yanks don't count.
  6. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,046 Messages
    790 Likes Received
    I will say again ...... a 6% (.06) rise in popularity has to be a dissapointment to the left.

After the witch hunt they have done on Bush ..... seems like it would be up by at least 20%
  7. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,950 Messages
    355 Likes Received
    And when it comes right down to it -I don't care one bit of the other countries like us . I want them to be our friends because we are the biggest boy on the block and they don't want to piss us off..
  8. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Actually, it's much safer to be respected than feared.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    That is what Jimmy Carter thought as well and the US image overseas was weak. Respect from allies is important to an extent but fear from our enemies is a good thing in my view
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,186 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received
    I don't know for sure, but I suspect it may look something like this.

[IMG]

I kid..... I kid.......

:D
  11. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Well, ideally, you don't want enemies. That's why the founding fathers largely supported a non-interventionist foreign policy. The problem with fear is that it breads contempt; history is littered with examples of the masses turning against their controlling force. So, the problem with a foreign policy based on instilling fear is that it can lead people to feel as if they are being exploited by a greater power. That feeling of exploitation is exactly what a large portion of the world feels (whether true or not). From South America to the Middle East to the communist East, a lot of the political uprisings in the past 50 years have been in response to globalization and the sphere of influence that the U.S. has in that converting power.

That said, I know that you can never please everyone and that there will always be some enemies. I don't advocate sacrificing our principles in order to please those who oppose us and sometimes those enemies have to be taken head on, like Reagan did with the U.S.S.R. However, every effort should be made to promote mutual respect, when possible.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    When you reach your hand out and they fire missiles the next day I think you know what the answer is. I don't like the President running around saying how sorry we are, this country has done a lot more right in this world than negative, we have freed nations and we have feed nation we do a lot and get little credit for it we need not roll over for the world. When our allies need us they know they can count on us and our enemies they should understand and fear us that we will act with strength not weakness and what we say we mean not this saber rattling you see from these 3rd world leaders.
  13. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,186 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received
    In 1903, Teddy Roosevelt made a speech in Chicago. Those words ring as clear today as they did over 100 years ago.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick."

I think that they are words for this Country to live by.
  14. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,234 Messages
    404 Likes Received

I would prefer both but in today's society and the morons we elect it will always be one or the other. At least with GWB the world was more nervous than a cat in room full of rocking chairs, he was a bit erratic. Everyone knows what Obama will do, same old apologize for being America, meetings without preconditions, we need a nicer more sensitive world.
  15. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Well, I really don't think that's a fair assessment of what Obama would do. He hasn't been faced with a direct, overt threat like Bush was, so naturally he's going to be less of a "cowboy" at this time. I have no doubt that Obama would have gone into Afghanistan after 9/11 though, he even defended the action today.

If Bush had limited out military action to Afghanistan, then I don't think we would have seen the "nervous" world that you speak of. In fact, I would argue that a "nervous" world isn't really preferable to the opposite, a world that knows what to expect. Nervousness can lead to rash, miscalculated and desperate actions.

I haven't really viewed Obama's apologetic tone as one of weakness though. Instead of saying ,"Hey, we're sorry, what can we do to make it up to you" it's more like he's saying "Hey, we're sorry that you feel this way, let's just move on". Anyone who's ever been in an argument with a significant other knows that there is a marked difference in the respective tone of those responses. Given the current political situation in Iran, I think that Obama's Mid-East speech had everything to do with the upcoming election. He went over to a Muslim country and said that the Muslim world and the Western world don't have to be at odds with one another, that we don't embrace the current conflict. If voters in Iran see that and believe that America isn't just some imperial power looking to exploit resources, then maybe they'll end up voting in a more moderate president and not reelecting Ahmadinejad.

I see actions like that, the diplomatic projection of influence, as a sign of strength, not weakness.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,808 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    You must be feared by your enemies or they will attack you. So its much better to be feared then respected, especially the way things are now.
    Considering how villified Bush was by the whole worlds press, its telling that the change has been VERY SMALL.
  17. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It's not really. No nation state is going to attack us, regardless of whether they fear or respect us. It's the individuals who spread extremism who are a threat and they don't have to worry about fearing us, because there is no direct impact, in relation to the extremist movement, as a result of their actions.

If you're feared, then you have enemies.

If you're respected, then you have fewer enemies.

Of course the world needs to understand that we won't hesitate to respond to an attack, but that's not the fear that I'm talking about.
  18. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,950 Messages
    355 Likes Received
    I 'll give a little --Respected by your friends and FEARED by everyone else.Feared not because you are a bully -but because you are capable and willing to use all means necessary to protect your own--without saying you are sorry
  19. lewpac

lewpac Benched

1,465 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wonder what brought the attack at Pearl Harbor? Fear or Respect?

As far as I can figger, I don't know of any reason why the U.S. put fear in the hearts of the world in 1941. Seems like we we're a peaceable enough nation at the time. I don't know of any "imperialism" or "arrogance" or "saber rattling" or "war mongering" on Roosevelt's behalf. By all accounts, we were respected and looked up to and acknowledged as a great nation.

Yet, we were attacked!

There's the old story of the hippie, peace nick, lib who of course didn't believe in guns. Didn't believe in violence. A real "turn the other cheek" guy. Real big on "lets just talk this over" and "war never solved anything".

Yeah, he didn't believe in guns. But the three guys coming up his driveway at 2:20 am DID BELIEVE IN GUNS. And now, his wife is dead, his two kids are maimed for life, and his life has been turned inside-out.

Think this is some kind of metaphor or an allegory or "lesson story". It's not? I knew this guy back in Houston. He's the poster boy for "a conservative is a liberal who got mugged".
  20. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Look up the "Lend/Lease" act that FDR signed off on. You'll see why we had war declared on us by Germany.
    Look up the Steel industry stats from 1936-1941 and you'll see why Japan attacked us.