1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Featured Impressions from Silver and Blue

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BlindFaith, Aug 22, 2013.

1. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,602 Messages
    305 Likes Received
    I just re-read my last sentence in my first post in this thread. I'm glad I got my adjectives in the right order.:)
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,516 Messages
    5,243 Likes Received
    Running the ball more effectively doesn't even necessarily help you with ToP. If you can move the ball, you can control the clock. Running the ball effectively in short yardage and in the red zone is a plus, though. I'd like to see us have plenty of success there.

Taking the ball away and playing with a lead is probably the best thing we can do for our defense this season that we didn't do much of last season. A few quarters of of one-dimensional pass rushing would do wonders for those guys on defense at the end of games.
  3. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

2,015 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    As someone who reported from camp I gotta say I was excited to read your guys report and wish I was there too. Now I know jow it feels. Thanks for taking the time!
    jobberone likes this.
  4. Big D

Big D Well-Known Member

2,259 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    Running the ball helps with TOP by default as even a 3 yard loss will result in the clock continuing to run. An incomplete pass stops the clock. We lost games these past few seasons we've had the lead in due to leaving too much time on the clock for the opponent to come back. I'm not saying we need to totally revert to the Parcells way of 3yds and a cloud of dust but Garrett or whoever is going to call the plays needs to learn to throttle the offense. It's frustrating because it seems we have the talent to whatever to opposing defenses yet we consistently shoot ourselves in the foot.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,516 Messages
    5,243 Likes Received
    As long as you're able to move the ball, you're able to get more time for your offense on the field. I don't think the ToP statistics correlate necessarily with teams that are most effective running the ball these days, but, I"m admittedly too lazy to actually look it up.

Again, though, I'm in the camp that, if we don't lose the turnover battle so convincingly last season, a lot of these unfortunate statistics reverse themselves. I don't see us having much of a problem moving the ball. It's only that we have fewer possessions than I'd like and we have the well-documented problems in the red zone to contend with.
  6. Big D

Big D Well-Known Member

2,259 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    You are correct in that turnovers killed us. Looking at stats here:

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/team-stat/turnovers-category

we had the 5th most interceptions per game and the 14th most fumbles lost and overall 8th most team giveaways per game. I assume most the the fumbles were made in the run game which leads me to believe we're losing the ball more in the passing game, which is even more reason to run the ball more lol.
  7. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,454 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    I'd like to look further and see how many turnovers in the passing game came from aggressive passing after we were down on points.
  8. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,879 Messages
    1,198 Likes Received
    This could explain why we have so many injuries every year. I also don't like the nonchalant attitude out there.
  9. Aurican

Aurican Active Member

196 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    I agree, running the ball well should be a priority. From taking the pressure off Romo to carry the whole offense and not being 1 dimensional to improving red zone scoring having an improved running game would fix a lot of the problems with this team. I expect more of the same if they are unable to run the ball again this season.
  10. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,602 Messages
    305 Likes Received
    I didn't see a "nonchalant attitude" out there. Yes, during stretching, some players weren't doing the same stretch at the same time. But, I suspect that might have something to do with individual recommendations by the training staff rather than, "I don't have to do what everybody else does" attitude. The players ran or jogged from drill to drill. Not a bunch of ho-hum strolling that would indicate "nonchalant."
    jobberone likes this.
  11. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

885 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    I went with basically the sole purpose of taking a look at what was going on with the oline.

Baily looked good.
    Defense will be good.
    WRs looked good and Romo looked sharp.

Cheerleaders opened up the practice and were in mid season form...
    jobberone likes this.
  12. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

885 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    Free has practiced there all week.
  13. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

885 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    When I say mauler I guess I meant more along the lines as in attitude. We have no Larry Allen, or Columbo types. I don't feel we have anyone that a defense would dread to play against. Not saying our line is bad...just not badarse.
  14. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

885 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    It was the whole team. Again, it may just have been the nature of this type of practice. I did see Woichek working exclusively with Bryant and helping him stretch. But I did also see a lot of players just not putting in any effort really. Who knows, they may have stretching sessions during workouts. So maybe its more of just warming up at the beginning of practice. Could be nothing, but I guess I'd expect more from "professionals".
  15. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

885 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    Reports are that he dogged the off season work out program and has basically been a bum. I don't want that guy on my team.
  16. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

885 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    I guess its about being a RKG. Tone, attitude, demeanor. I pointed out Felix because he was a Redball pick. And to spend a first round pick on a complimentary player was questioned at the time and turned out to be a bad pick.
    I was mostly not a fan of Garrett the play caller. I think he's a great guy. Not real sure if he has the skill/insight to build a winning team. The head coach has a big say on what kind of guys are brought in. Who knows. We'll see how things play out this year.
  17. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

885 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    I went out of my way to state that we shouldn't rush to any conclusions based on what I saw. I think really it was more of a dog and pony show so things have may been toned down a notch or two.
  18. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,338 Messages
    4,296 Likes Received
    Everything I've read on twitter is that guy is Leary.

May have read something similar about Bell, but I can't recall where, even if I did.
  19. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

885 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    You make a very good observation. It was very clear from practice that Garrett is still very focused on the passing game. I think moving Free inside is an effort initiated by Garrett to make sure we have better pass protection.

Now this is just a hunch and is highly speculative, but I don't think Callahan is totally on board with the move.
  20. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

885 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    Leary could be that guy, but he wasn't out there. ;) If Bell was out there, I didn't see him get any reps with the second team. It was Weems and Coughman. Kinda surprised me.