1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

In your opinion, which colleges have the best Strength and Conditioning programs?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Goku, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Goku

Goku Benched

388 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    who are known as the best in the business?
  2. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,871 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    I know that about 15 months ago, when the University of Texas was looking for a S&C coach, we looked towards the SEC. Tommy Moffit of LSU was one of the top names. We ended up getting Bennie Wylie from Tennessee. Our S&C was a bit of a joke with Jeff Madden (one of the reasons UT players got labeled as soft), but Wylie has turned the whole S&C program around. He's going to make a name for himself (he already has, really).
  3. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,348 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    UT(both) Wisconsin, Nebraska, tOSU, bama, USC i think

i have no idea for sure about maryland but I know that it seems every year they have guys that put up impressive numbers at the combine and that has to come from somewhere.
  4. Goku

Goku Benched

388 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    madden used to be one of the best, i don't know what happened to him. i think the program as a whole got lazy. as good as wylie is, he is still a relative newcomer.

moffit is definitely one of the best. he is blessed with a fertile recruiting base but he turns those recruits into monsters on defense.
  5. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Wisconsin is beyond a doubt on another level. 90% of their staff is NFL quality.

Nebraska used to be a power house, no idea what's going on there now.

Stanford is making waves in that area lately.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,138 Messages
    1,278 Likes Received
    Iowa is decent. Wisconsin though as Sdogo said is on another level. One reason why I am not as hopeful for Nagy getting much bigger or stronger.
  7. Goku

Goku Benched

388 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tennessee's players used to look like monsters. Especially on the defensive line/linebackers. I don't know what happened with that program.
  8. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,410 Messages
    1,444 Likes Received
    You guys are forgetting an obvious one. Oregon. Phil Knight has that place outfitted like crazy.
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,844 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    Florida is strong.

Iowa, Wisconsin.
  10. rkell87

7,348 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    I know their facilities are outstanding but is the program itself top notch? i really don't know
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,844 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    They are producing freaks like Ngata and Stephen Paea who did like 50 reps at 225 so yea....

The QBs seem to do 30 reps... lol.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,014 Messages
    1,580 Likes Received
    Bear Bryant's Texas A&M Junction Boys just ask Gene Stallings and Jack Pardee who had to endure it. :laugh2:
  13. rkell87

7,348 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    paea is OSU
  14. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,559 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    USC, Cal (who is about to have an out of this world weight room and program), LSU, Texas, Wisconsin, and Ohio State are the top programs that come to mind.
  15. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,015 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    The answer to this one is easy. Alabama. Period.

Saban and his S&C and overall player development program with Scott Cochran is the best in College football. He covers everything from physical to mental development.

Look at the number of first round picks and total picks the past couple years as Saban's recruits are finally reaching the NFL. He might have 5 more first rounders this year. His players are the most NFL ready that come from College ball. That's what the scouts say.
  16. Pokes28

Pokes28 Member

364 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not 100% certain you can state that all of the "elite" programs have great S&C programs. Example Texas brings in a ton of kids that are already at or near their college size and many if not most are already fully developed.

Also, you can't judge a S&C program by how their kids do on the bench press at the combine. The reason I say that is that there are multiple styles of S&C that can be done. Many schools are getting away from old school power workouts and going to systems that provide more flexibility, core, and real world strength than standard power workouts. They do this because it has proven to keep the athletes healthy and better able to recover when they do get injured.

I don't know if they still have their ranking system, but at one point, Glass from Oklahoma State was considered one of the top 5 S&C coaches in the entire world regardless of sport or level. I doubt he's fallen much from that plateau. The funny thing is that you look at the 225 numbers from the combine and you see Blackmon with 14, Blatnik with 32, Martin with 19, and Thomas with 20 and you would wonder if he's all that great. But look over their careers and they might have missed 2 games as an entire group due to injury.

David Harrell - Pokes
    dwh
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,138 Messages
    1,278 Likes Received
    I would take Wisconsin for Strength and Conditioning.