1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Insight into next season's scouting report

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CCBoy, May 26, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,247 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    Wes Bunting: Upshaw Has the Upside to Interest Dallas' Scouts in 2012

Posted by Rafael

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2011/05/wes-bunting-upshaw-has-upside-to.html

...Wes Bunting: It's very hard. When did we start talking about Danny Watkins, October? November? I was in love with his game, but when I watched him him as a junior, and everybody knows his backstory, it was only his third year playing football. When I watched him as a junior, I thought he's strong, he's really raw. I gave him a late round grade, to be honest.

Then I saw him again as a senior, and that maturation process had taken place, and he was more comfortable with his technique and his offense with just one more year of playing, and I thought, this isn't the same guy I saw before. I had to throw out his junior report and write another one, because this guy got tremendously better. As a junior he was learning his trade and as a senior, he was one of the best offensive linemen in the country.

CN: Tell us then what you do now? People can go to your site and read the Alabama and the Auburn reports and you've singled out players, but are these preliminary reports? How do you modify them during the season?

WB: If I had to submit a scouting report to the National Football Post for a Josh Chapman, this is what I would give them. I'd slap a grade on him, but this is what what it is. Now, I'll have to watch these guys again as seniors. What I'll do during the year, I'll start watching some of the bigger school guys on TV, just to get a feel for where they are, then I'll get another big shipment of tapes around gave five or game six and I'll go back and watch, with these junior reports sitting next to me.

If what I see matched up with what I wrote initially, I'll keep it pretty much the same, and I'll be happy because it's less work. But if I'm watching another Danny Watkins and the initial scouting report says this guy gets a 5.0 grade and his senior tape says he's a 7.5, then I'm way off and I'll have to write up a new one. Now not everyone is that significant in his change. Some seniors might change their instincts and their feel for the game....