1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Interesting ESPN article on Hasselback

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by el_chevo, Jan 30, 2006.

1. el_chevo

el_chevo El Serrano

872 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    While I don't want to start another Henson is a good QB thread, the following article by ESPN brings up a couple of good points regarding the development of young Qbs in the league: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2311953

After reading the article, I felt better about our process with Henson. According to Holmgren, it takes a solid five years to develop a great QB. Hasselback is currently 30 years old and has traveled a long and winding road through the NFL. He was benched a few times but remained strong. Perhaps, we do have a future QB in Henson. Thoughts?
    P.S. If this article has been posted, please delete the thread.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,364 Messages
    3,712 Likes Received
    I hope Henson can show himself and will get a chance to show his skills in NFLE.
  3. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Henson might turn out to be a decent player? (gasp)

Taking your time developing a QB isn't such a bad way to go about things? (gasp)

Our QB of the future might just be on the roster, regardless of what the knee-jerkers and Parcells bashers might think? (double-gasp)
  4. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    But I wonder how Holmgren knows this for sure or if this is just his own version of PR for Hasselbeck? It took about that much time (maybe even more) to develop Steve Young, Brett Favre was great within a year of playing for Holmgren, and Kitna never became great. I consider Hasselbeck a good QB who has been "coached-up", and this upcoming game will test every iota of that coaching.
  5. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,178 Messages
    5,405 Likes Received
    Hasselbeck's situation and Henson's are nothing alike.

Hasselbeck played four years at BC, came straight to the NFL and received extensive playing time in the preseason and was groomed by one of the best in the business.

Henson had a long layoff after only a few games of play, had a poor excuse for a QB coach fiddle with his throwing motion and now he is going to Europe. The two situations are not even close in comparison.
  6. TheHustler

TheHustler Active Member

5,391 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wait..... so good QBs dont happen overnight?

Are you suuuuuuuure?
  7. el_chevo

el_chevo El Serrano

872 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ok...:laugh2: I don't know where you're going with that one, but I agree and have said all along that we should properly evaluate what we have before recruiting and signing FAs.
  8. el_chevo

el_chevo El Serrano

872 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ok, if that were my argument: good response.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,364 Messages
    3,712 Likes Received
    Myself I like Hasselbeck and think he is a pretty darn good QB. This despite the "We will take the win" comment he made after the coin toss in the overtime game aginst ST. Louis during the 2004 playoffs. LOL
  10. el_chevo

el_chevo El Serrano

872 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ummmm....ok
  11. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,178 Messages
    5,405 Likes Received
    I don't see that just because Hasselbeck had a winding road that it is reason to be optimistic about Henson.

That is like saying we should feel good about Henson because Roger Staubach had a long layoff from football too.

The issue at hand is that Henson is so raw and so unproven that he is unique. I don't care if he has this mythical concept of "pedigree" or not. What we have is what amounts to a high school phenom who has played a handful of games and then laid off. That is Chad Hutchinson all over again.

Until he gets experience and a lot of it, he will not amount to much nor give us reasonable cause to assume he is part of the future. There are too many things against him.
  12. el_chevo

el_chevo El Serrano

872 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not my contention, but I agree with you.

I agree, and after reading the article I felt better about the possibilities with Henson; my entire point.
  13. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    It's just shocking for anyone to suggest that Bill and Co. just might have the slightest idea what the hell they're doing in developing a young QB. It's a welcome change to all the over-dramatic Henson sucks, Romo sucks, Parcells is old and resistant to change BS that the knee-jerkers love to throw out there.

The post was all sarcasm, and incredulous-ness (not a word....)
  14. el_chevo

el_chevo El Serrano

872 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Agreed.
  15. kartr

kartr New Member

3,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Exactly. Apples and oranges.
  16. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,857 Messages
    620 Likes Received
    Hasselback is not young
  17. el_chevo

el_chevo El Serrano

872 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ok, not my point. But, I will agree with you: He (Hasselback) is older. :laugh1:
  18. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,016 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I'm hoping Henson will turn out like Jeff Hostetler who sat the bench for 7 years, (yes, I said SEVEN (7) years), with Parcells as coach before he finally got his break and a chance for extended playing time. All he did was lead the G-men to their 2nd Super Bowl win.

Of course, I hope it won't be 7 years, :) (Parcells won't be here but another couple of years at best), but the point is that PATIENCE with an inexperienced QB is NOT a negative quality despite what some posters on here think about the situation.
  19. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    how anyone got to the NFL means squat, it's what happens when you're in the NFL that matters, such as NFL coaching
  20. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    true, but Henson isn't ready to take experience, or he would be out there...getting experience...obviously

so you can't take this approach one way or the other about his future, good or bad