1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Interesting Lacewell quote on Ratliff

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by gimmesix, Nov 19, 2013.

1. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

10,120 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    From the DMN:

Nirvana likes this.
  2. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

2,243 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    Whatever the circumstances, I'm just glad he is gone. He was # 1 on my list of players I wanted GONE!
    Now, the new # 1 is Miles Austin.
  3. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye.

15,471 Messages
    2,672 Likes Received
    Day late, dollar short. That's been the story of this franchise for awhile.
  4. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,961 Messages
    6,663 Likes Received
    this.
  5. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,491 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    Miles isn't a traitor. He just has bad hammies. I applaud the hate for Rat because he earned it. But can we stop hating on our own guys when they HAVEN'T earned it?
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

54,272 Messages
    7,133 Likes Received
    Agreed. Turn the page already.
  7. brymatt94

brymatt94 Well-Known Member

550 Messages
    310 Likes Received
    The rest of this article is very interesting as well.
    CowboyMike likes this.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

33,686 Messages
    9,672 Likes Received
    It really is pretty sad what happened to the slated front four. With Spencer and Rat both lost for the year without so much as a snap, Ware hobbled for half the year, so far, and the two top rotational guys also both lost before the season even really got started. Ouch. Throw in Hacher's pinched nerve, or whatever it ended up being, and our top 6 players on the DL have all been compromised, with 4 lost for the year. Ouch.
    Nav22, Corso, Vanilla2 and 1 other person like this.
  9. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

2,243 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    No. Do you remember him walking back to the huddle when Dallas was trying to run a hurry up? I want to say it was a game against Baltimore. Cant wait til he is gone.
    tantrix1969 and Corso like this.
  10. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,491 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    No. I don't remember that at all. Nor can I recall any firestorm of controversy. At all. When you have something concrete...get back to us.
  11. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

6,082 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    You don't have to hate a player to want them gone.
    randy932 likes this.
  12. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,496 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    This pretty much sums up what's wrong with the organization.
    randy932, stasheroo and visionary like this.
  13. Fansince64

Fansince64 Active Member

157 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    You must not have watched the last 26 seconds of the Baltimore game last year. Remember - clock stopped, Dallas with the ball on Baltimore 33, 26 seconds on game clock, Dallas has one TO remaining. Miles and Ogletree lined up wide right, Dez is wide left. Dallas snaps the ball, Romo comletes a pass to Dez for no yards while Miles and Ogletree run streak routes into the end zone. After Dez is tackled, there is 19 seconds on the clock. The remaining 9 offensive team members are trying to get lined up so Romo can clock the ball. The camera cuts to Ogletree and Miles who are leisurely jog trotting (I can walk faster than that and I am disabled and on a walker) back toward the line of scrimmage. Dallas is forced to let the clock run down to 4 seconds and then call their last TO and try a 51 yard field goal. No good and Dallas loses after only being able to run one play with 26 seconds and a time out left.

If you don't remember all of the complaints after that, all I can conclude is you slept through the entire week following the Ravens game or your famously selective memory is kicking in.

Monte Sliger
    tantrix1969, lane, visionary and 3 others like this.
  14. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,098 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    So do you work your way down a list until everyone's gone?
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,913 Messages
    2,448 Likes Received
    Not sure I get the "never speak to me again" quote.

Here's the full article.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...owboys-horrible-defense-is-nobody-s-fault.ece

Couple quotes:

I agree with him in general. The defense has a ton of street guys playing but that's not solely because of injuries. Beyond the front 4 they really didn't have much at all in the spring. Outside of Ware, Hatcher, Spencer, and Ratlif what was there? Solid expectations for Crawford? Prayers Nick Hayden didn't have to be called into a ton of action and then Kyle Wilbur who was going to be moving to DE in his 2nd season and didn't even really play as a rookie? A couple of guys they added to the active roster late last year?

Basically 4 starters and 1 depth guy in Crawford. Out of what would be projected a 10-man unit?

The started the year with nothing behind the starting players. Nick Hayden was actually signed early in the year but he's a carryover street free agent from 2012 when he was cut in the preseason because of injury and then waited by the phone for a call for most of the year after he healed. Wilbur had almost no experience at all and wasn't even drafted to play DL. Ben Bass was on the roster and he went to IR but he was called up from the PS at the end of 2012. Not exactly all that hard to replace at the beginning of August. Teams will be cutting lots of guys and trying to get them onto their own practice squads and you can vulture whatever play you want off a practice squad anyway.

They really didn't have anything at all to begin with. Of course you're going to have a ton of street free agents starting when you build half the unit full of street free agents. If you build your depth with street free agents, you'll be seeing them on the field a lot because that's just the nature of the game. They lost Crawford, Spencer, and Ratliff. That's significant but it shouldn't result in having like 7 street free agents on your DL.

This is also part of the problem. Just assuming it will work for you as it works for others. Maybe they should call up Mike Zimmer and ask for the recipe.

Might have something to do with THREE 2nd round picks, TWO 3rd round picks and hitting a 4th rounder out of the park in Geno Atkins since 2010. 4 drafts and they've spent 3 of their 2nd round picks on the DL. Dallas has 3rd round Tyrone Crawford and 4th round Brandon Williams in that span. Of course, kind of hard to use a 2nd round pick on the DL when you trade it away or have to meet the once ever 4-5 seasons TE quota.

The defense is beat up badly but you don't get into a position where you're rotating street free agents as starters almost as soon as the season kicks off simply because you've had 2 starters and a backup go down. You get there because the guys who are playing behind your backups are street free agents as well and some guy currently walking the street can beat them out simply because he's more hungry. Thankfully Selvie was a very good acquisition.
  16. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Just go away Lacewell.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and brew... Staff Member

21,515 Messages
    2,266 Likes Received
    I think people hate the fact that Austin misses game after game after game - perhaps not the person. He's being paid a lot of money to be missing so much time. Money that could have been spent elsewhere. That is what people are disgusted by, not actually Miles himself.
    5Stars, brymatt94, dupree89 and 4 others like this.
  18. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,412 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    Exactly, Miles seems like a decent enough guy but he's taking up money and a spot that could be better used elsewhere therefore I want him gone.
  19. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,098 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    Good post.

The drafting and the priorities assigned to positions picked have not been good enough for many years now.

PS. I think Nevis is a player too.
  20. loublue22

loublue22 Well-Known Member

3,018 Messages
    720 Likes Received
    I'm sure they were jogging because they just assumed our idiot head coach would actually use the timeout we had left.