1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Interesting Lacewell quote on Ratliff

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by gimmesix, Nov 19, 2013.

1. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,825 Messages
    1,767 Likes Received
    Lacewell has been drinking too much secret sauce.
    stasheroo likes this.
  2. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,723 Messages
    546 Likes Received
    It sure sets the stage for things to stay the same, and use the injury bug as the reason the defense fell apart. It's awesome to know how much Jerry trusts Lacewells opinion on matters at Valley ranch.
  3. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    This is the same buffoon that fell in love with Quinthy for some bizarre reason. The fact that he is still around and dishing out poisonous advice tells us all we need to know about the kind of mess the Garrettboys are in.
    khiladi and visionary like this.
  4. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,705 Messages
    1,509 Likes Received
    Exactly.

He's lone since fired, but still in the owner's ear?

And yet, according to Jerry, him being owner and GM is some secret 'advantage'?

Is listening to this clown an 'advantage'?

Sure doesn't look like it based on all tangible results.
    visionary likes this.
  5. mahoneybill

mahoneybill Well-Known Member

909 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    Agree that miles could be gone with the development of Williams and progression of beaseley we need Stud D
    Line help , and his $$ could go toward that area
  6. randy932

randy932 Member

529 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    I remember it well. And I agree that he needs to go, quickly.
    dupree89 likes this.
  7. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,892 Messages
    389 Likes Received
    I remember. Oh, and to the poster who said "get back to us." Who the heck is "us?" You're not speaking for anyone but yourself so next time you think about doing so, why don't you **** instead?
  8. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,519 Messages
    514 Likes Received
    Nevis is a depth guy, but I wouldn't go so far as to call him a player. Players make plays, and he's had plenty of time to make a statement. When there's a starting-caliber player at that position, will Drevis even make the team over Hayden?
  9. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,851 Messages
    983 Likes Received
    It really is. They absolutely looked great on paper but, as I said before the draft, this team needed a blue-chip stud to inject some youth into the d-line. The youngest projected d-line starter was Spencer and he was pushing 30: this is not a league for old men.

Now, everyone over 30 on the d-line has missed at least one game and Dallas is scrambling to develop some semblance of a d-line unit. Its disappointing.
    silver likes this.
  10. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,831 Messages
    873 Likes Received
    And little to no value ever extracted from serviceable vets other than compensatory picks. Amazing.
  11. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,930 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    I agree to a certain extent, however they were very high on Bass, the major miscalculation was on Wilbur. He just isn't a strong/dynamic enough to be a DE in the 4-3. No team can sustain losing there top six from any unit on any team in the league.
  12. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,831 Messages
    873 Likes Received
    Hearing the name Lacewell is just horrible in it's own right.
    HeavyBarrel likes this.
  13. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,071 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    You might be right, but remember this Nevis only got to the team several games after the season started so didn't have any OTAs or training camp.

In addition the last year he was playing in a 3-4 scheme (in which he doesn't fit) and put on extra weight to play which he had to loose.

Finally he plays the one technique which isn't exactly a playmaking position (and you also have to factor who's on the line with him).
  14. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,799 Messages
    1,697 Likes Received
    Austin being gone really gains us nothing. It actually probably costs us because we then have to go out and sign another guy.
  15. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,402 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    I can understand that. But when you read these threads it often becomes personal. Many fans will HATE players and coaches at a personal level unless/until they get what they want.
  16. ABQCOWBOY

34,799 Messages
    1,697 Likes Received
    I am not all that impressed with Williams. He has shown flashes but he has dropped a lot of easy balls as well. He really needed to show up for us in these past few games and he really didn't. It's going to be interesting to see if our offense improves now that Miles is back in the lineup.
  17. stasheroo

17,705 Messages
    1,509 Likes Received
    I'm bothered by Williams' continued habit of body catching. I had hoped that it would have decreased but it looks to have gotten worse.

As much as anything else, I would be working as much as I could to break the rookie of that bad habit.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

34,799 Messages
    1,697 Likes Received
    It's hard to break these kinds of habits in players once you get to the Pros. This is why a lot of teams don't take players highly, who don't have the basic skills necessary to play a given position, many times. The problem is that when you draft a player highly and you count on them to contribute early, if the basics aren't there, they will often regress in this area during the season. As you get into the season, the majority of the time spent is not coaching fundamentals. It's preparation for the next game. You don't have coaches coaching up technique. You are expected to already have that. Players, many times, will fall back into bad habits because, unlike Mini Camps or Training Camp, the position coaches aren't working with the players on technique nearly as much.

This is also why you always hear coaches stress how important off season work is. That's where players really develop their craft and get focused attention on their games. Yeah, I have to say that I agree with your take on Williams.
  19. stasheroo

17,705 Messages
    1,509 Likes Received
    Let's hope he can get it fixed after the season then. I think he could be a solid contributor if he does. And if, as I suspect, Austin is gone after this season, we will need him to be that contributor.
  20. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,634 Messages
    901 Likes Received
    People seem to be forgetting that Williams is still a rookie and playing a position that is very difficult to transition from college. Most WR's don't start to really contribute until their 2nd or 3rd year unless your Randy Moss.

He does have a couple of issues regarding fundamentals, but that will be taken care of in the offseason, I believe. Romo is very high in him and is surprised he has contributed as quickly as he has. Romo thought he would need another year before he "gets it".

Williams is far from a finished product, but I am much more positive about him than others are. I think he will make a terrific compliment to Dez in the short to medium term.