1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Intriguing Offseason for Tyron

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Teague31, Nov 29, 2012.

1. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    well consider who is claiming he is not hitting the weight room hard enough. Give those comments the respect they deserve.
  2. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Tyron's fine at left tackle. It's not strength, it's footwork for a guy who's been on the right side for quite some time.

People talk about improvement as a season goes on a lot, but this is as linear a case as I can remember, with a bit of a hiccup against Philly, where most of us recall he had a critically bad day his rookie season too.

Not a concern.
  3. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,663 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    I agree , leave him at left tackle.
  4. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    It is not just a matter of hitting the weight room. He needs the added bulk because he is not a big LT. Size, or lack of it, was my concern when he was drafted. He will continue to get stronger as he matures and even the coaches have said he needs to put on weight. Everybody loved the fact that he looks like a bodybuilder. That is not a good thing for a lineman. He needs the bulk to handle the power rushers and wear them down.
  5. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    You have to remember he is still only 21 going on to 22 years old. He is already quite a bit larger than he was as a Jr entering the draft at 275 pounds to finish the season. He will gradually add a bit weight over the offseason for a couple more years until he reaches full physical maturity around age 24-25. If you want this rushed it means steroids and a possible suspension. There are limits to how hard people can workout before working out actually makes you weaker - steroids "fix" this. We always knew that he was a bit physically immature when we drafted him and accepted going through his growing pains in the NFL when we drafted him.

Anyhow, I think his problem is more technique than strength at this moment. Ware said that when Tyron locks onto him (in the non-hold position) he cannot escape no matter how hard he tries and he is the only player he ever met who could do that to him - he has massive hands and tremendous strength.
  6. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,219 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    Doug Free can not play guard. He is not strong enough. Free needs to be cut unless we take a huge cap hit. Put Parnell at RT, he can't be worse than Free.
  7. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    this is what I was going to bring up as soon as I saw the post saying he needed to improve his strength.
  8. Texan_Eph89

Texan_Eph89 Well-Known Member

1,054 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    A ton of LTs struggle at first. More importantly, Tyron has to face great pass rushers in this division 2x a season.

I'm not worried, he'll be fine. He needs to improve on his technique and gain more weight, but that's what the off-season is for anyway.
  9. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,329 Messages
    274 Likes Received
    I think you consider all options in the offseason. If coaches and Tyron believe he can become elite, top 3-4 at LT, fine. If not, just improving isn't good enough. He's a natural at RT, and I'd rather have a pro bowler at RT for pass and run and give help to a lesser LT than have an avg guy on both sides. I'd consider moving Smith back to RT and try Parnell or someone else at LT. Teams give crap reject tackles a little help on Ware and shut him down...so can we, but I'd like to have a stud on one side, and we know TS is that on the right.

He helps the run game there as well.

There's a difference between saying he's a bust at LT and saying he's a bigger, better stud on the right side. I can live with either decision, but you have to consider all options, IMO.
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,896 Messages
    2,144 Likes Received
    I think Tyron has several Pro Bowl years in his future as a LT.
  11. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,761 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    What? He'll bulk this off season and when he comes back, given his skills, more mass will make him shutdown elite pass rushers. Can't wait to see that
  12. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    More bulk will help when he is getting bull rushed. That will help eith one problem. He is not a big lineman.
  13. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    Tyron Smith's issues with bull rushers is purely technique.

Anchoring has nothing to do with bulk, Kyle Kosier was a very technical player that mastered how to correctly use technique to counter defenders.

There are different methods to block pass rush techniques and he just has to figure it out mentally what he needs to do when he reads the man across him.

Smith and Parnell really have some nasty punches in their arsenal of moves.
  14. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,921 Likes Received
    He's the least of my worries.

He's a super talented athlete with a high work ethic. Don't worry about that guy. Worry about Jerry being delusional about the state of this Oline.

If Free is a Cowboy next year then the offseason was a fail.
  15. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,040 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    Great post, exactly what Dallas should do if the opportunity presents itself. The draft is deep on the OL and DL, I could easily see this happening.
  16. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,795 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    I don't see any rookie OT drafted in the teens beating out Smith at LT. If they do draft a tackle in round 1, then that is Free's replacement at RT.
  17. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    I have been hearing that Jake Long has really been bad this year. He is living off his reputation and will get a big deal in the offseason because of his past play. But his play this season has been subpar at best from scouts I have heard. Doubt dolphins want to give him money he wants. Cowboys shouldn't either
  18. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Just cause you don't see it happening doesn't mean it can't happen. All I'm saying is an open competition anyway, I don't really care who wins the competition, may the best man win.

Point is, if you really wanna go OL in the first round and we end up in the teens, you are probably better off thinking about a tackle cause that is more likely to happen and would improve the line immensely.
  19. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Kosier was weak against the bull rush. He ended up being the best lineman on the team, but that is not saying much. His last two healthy years he was better against power players, but he was never as good as this fanbase thought he was. At one time, he was the smallest and weakest lineman that started on this team, but he was more mobile than the others.
  20. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,795 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    I don't see any evidence to believe that the Cowboys think Smith needs competition at LT next year. This was his first year at the position and his ceiling is extremely high. They're going to give him at least another year to settle into the position.

If the Cowboys draft a OT in round 1, then it's probably going to be because they don't think Free is worth the money they're paying him and they are finding his replacement at RT. It's not at all unusual for rookie first round tackles, especially those drafted outside the top ten, to come in and start at RT their first year.