1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

iPhones to get a bigger screen

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Sam I Am, May 16, 2012.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The post Steve Jobs decisions appear to be starting to come out of Apple.

Jobs must be turning over in his grave right about now. No way would he want a phone with a big clunky screen. :laugh2:

Though 4" isn't quite as big as some of the Android phones screens. (up to 4.8", my Galaxy Nexus is 4.65") It is a 1/2" jump in size though. It will be interesting to see what it will look like.

===================================================

(Reuters) - Apple Inc plans to use a larger screen on the next-generation iPhone and has begun to place orders for the new displays from suppliers in South Korea and Japan, people familiar with the situation said on Wednesday.

Early production of the new screens has begun at three suppliers: Korea's LG Display, Sharp Corp and Japan Display Inc, a Japanese government-brokered merger combining the screen production of three companies.

The new iPhone screens will measure 4 inches from corner to corner, one of the sources said.

It is likely all three of the screen suppliers will get production orders from Apple, which could begin as soon as June. That would allow the new iPhone to go into production as soon as August if the company follows its own precedent in moving from orders for prototypes for key components to launch.

Apple's decision to equip the next iPhone with a larger screen represents part of its competitive response to Samsung Electronics. Samsung unveiled its top-of-the line Galaxy smartphone with a 4.8-inch touch screen and a faster processor earlier this month.

Complete Story
  2. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,124 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    I cant wait.Hope its 4g. 3g is kinda slow.
  3. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,810 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    October launch. Tempted to switch over to the Droid Razr Maxx now.
  4. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,701 Messages
    405 Likes Received
    They had prototype phones with 4" screens when Steve Jobs was alive. They start planning their next several generation devices years in advance -- with this one, Jobs was most certainly alive when it was in the early development stages.
  5. theogt

43,701 Messages
    405 Likes Received
    The current iPhone supports AT&T 4G, but I don't think that's what you mean. With the iPad having LTE, it's virtually guaranteed the next iPhone will have LTE.
  6. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,697 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    Heard two rumors on shape... one is that it will have a wedge shape ala the Macbook Air... the other is that it will have a curved design...

I would be happy for htem to go back to the 3Gs shape... I love my 4s, but I hate the shape...

In any event, rumor also is that liquidmetal it being bantered about...
  7. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Yes, everyone listen to theo here. Guy totally has the inside track to Steve Jobs and his vision and all things Apple plus prototypes coming for the next 10 years.

BELIEVE
  8. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Can't wait for the 5 to come out...but if I read one more article about what it's going to or not going to have, I'll sign up for Google+...so it can stop being a Ghost Town.
  9. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

2,834 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    Well this is a step in the right direction. I personally think 4.0 - 4.3" is the sweet spot.
  10. theogt

43,701 Messages
    405 Likes Received
    That's about right, I think. Once you get much over 4.0" in screen size, it starts getting way too big for a phone. Anything close to 5" in screen size is just ugly/not practical.
  11. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There's nothing impractical about the size of the Nexus. In fact, the current iPhones look puny compared to the Nexus.
  12. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

10,995 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    Do it. I have to Razr Maxx now. My girlfriend has the iPhone 4. She is now jealous of my phone and wants to get rid of hers, but she just got hers about 3 months ago. We did a side by side comparison on similar apps and the Razr is much faster. The only advantage that the iPhone has is a better speaker sound system, but most people use headphones to listen to music anyway.
  13. theogt

43,701 Messages
    405 Likes Received
    To each their own. I think they're hideous. They are most certainly less practical as phones, particularly trying to navigate or type with one hand. That is a very common complaint of phones with that size screen.
  14. theogt

43,701 Messages
    405 Likes Received
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,798 Messages
    1,601 Likes Received
    So the screen will be bigger but what about the overall phone size?

Currently it's 4.5" tall and 2.3" wide.

There's plenty of face space that isn't actual viewable area. Close to 3/8" in total space on either side of the viewing area.
  16. Hoofbite

31,798 Messages
    1,601 Likes Received
  17. theogt

43,701 Messages
    405 Likes Received
    Yeah, I hope they don't increase the size of the phone too much. I don't want a ginormous phone.
  18. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,661 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  19. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,661 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    Hideous because the iPhone doesn't have it. :laugh2:
  20. Hoofbite

31,798 Messages
    1,601 Likes Received
    I don't like the idea of a bigger phone because after you put a case on it, it feels like a brick in your pocket.

I have the smallest case possible on my iphone. Basically scratch guard and a little protection. Awesome case though, like $10 too. Made by some random company. Elago, I believe.

I used to go without a case all together because I hate to have things in my pockets. I dunno why but I just hate having stuff in my pockets. But then the camera lens got all scratched to hell and I couldn't really take pictures without them being blurry to some extent. Once I replaced the back glass, case went on.