1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Iranians spar with Israel at UN

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Doomsday101, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    Iran is urging the UN Security Council to stop Israel threatening military action against its nuclear programme.
    The highly unusual request was sent by Iran's UN envoy Mohammad Khazaee, to Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.

Mr Khazaee said Israeli threats were unacceptable and unjustifiable, and flagrantly violated international law.

Israel's UN envoy called the letter "disgusting dangerous... hypocrisy" in the light of what Iranian leaders have said about Israel.

Ambassador Dan Gillerman said the secretary general should not even reply to Mr Khazaee's letter.

Mr Khazaee stressed that Iran's nuclear programme was for peaceful purposes only, and said the UN should respond to Israeli threats of force by unambiguously condemning them.

'Savage animal'

The diplomatic spat in New York between the old Middle East foes came late on Wednesday.

Earlier in the day, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad reportedly launched a new strongly worded attack against Israel, describing it as a "dirty microbe", and a "savage animal".

"For a country whose leader describes a member state of the United Nations [in such terms], to complain about others' statements is the height of hypocrisy," Mr Gillerman said.

"It is a letter which the recipients, be it the Security Council or the secretary-general, should not even honour by acknowledging," he added.

There have been press reports that Israel, which bombed an Iraqi reactor in 1981, has begun planning for a possible raid against Iran.

The Israeli government says it has not ruled out the possibility of using military force if Iran does not scrap its controversial uranium-enrichment programme.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7256915.stm
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    So where are all the Iranian apologists that post here all the time making up excuses for the wack job?
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,044 Messages
    3,281 Likes Received
    Yes...tell me the names of the people that apologize for Iran...because I would love to see your list and evidence to support said list.:rolleyes:
  4. the fake norm hitzges

the fake norm hitzges New Member

186 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    iran will eventually have to be dealt with.
  5. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,658 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    I don't like either country, maybe they can take care of one another for us so we can get out of mid-east entanglements.

Then again we'd propbably blindly back Israel, no doubt the PLO and Iran are menaces, terroristic ones even but Israel is no friend to this country either, it is an alliance born of expedience, Christian Dispensationalist lobby, Holocaust guilt and the fact we have more jews in the US than any other nation.

That is not antisemetism by the way before someone feels the need to fly off the handle, simply fact.
  6. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Brain, you KNOW there are several here who continuously find reasons to defend the wack job.
  7. BrAinPaiNt

60,044 Messages
    3,281 Likes Received
    Then it should be easy to provide a list and evidence to support said list.:cool:
  8. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Vintage for one. And several of our more flaming liberals like Canadian seem to try awful hard not to crtiticise him.
  9. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Take a look at the israel save us thread if you want examples.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

60,044 Messages
    3,281 Likes Received
    Just because someone does not feel the need to rage on and criticize them does not mean they are apologists or loves someone.

That is a tactic used by all too many politicians and people in the world...something I think we are all guilty of at times.

I don't think anyone truly likes the nutjob in Iran.

It is along the lines of...if you don't like the current admin than you are unpatriotic and hate america. I say BS.
  11. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Brain, read some of those comments in the Israel Save us thread. Its clear they want to make excuses for the wack job. Now maybe its because of their crazy hatred of Bush, but they still do it.
  12. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

12,905 Messages
    656 Likes Received
    Actually, no I didn't.

If you actually read my comments, you would see that I had said I would understand Israel taking action and bombing Iran's nuclear plant and it would probably be legitimate to do so.

But because I provided other possible reasons for Iranian's want of nuclear weapons....you took that as a defense of Iran. I provided the reasons and said that they could also be legitimate reasons as to why Iran wants nuclear weapons (not just to "nuke" Israel).

Not every issue is us vs them. Not every issue is black and white.

But you want it to be; hence, why you are unable to consider other alternative reasons for wanting nuclear power.

Nothing I said was out of the ordinary; in fact, its reasons several countries want nuclear weapons: for deterrence.

But back to spinning things in the "us vs them"...... I wouldn't want to deprive you of that.
  13. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

12,905 Messages
    656 Likes Received
    Here are the comments burm is questioning.

Where am I making excuses for Iran?

Hell burm, I will even bold for you the quasi-prediction/what I think Israel should do...

Huh. Doesn't seem to fit your theory to well, that I am an Iranian apologist. I must be one of the weird ones; saying Israel probably should attack Iran's nuclear site while somehow apologizing for Iran.

What I did was offer other reasons why Iran might pursue nuclear weapons.

That does not mean I said it was justified; just that I can understand why Iran would want to have them other than for supposedly nuking Israel.

Hell, go to basketballforum.com and search for previous posts I made there concerning the Iranian nuclear threat. I said it a while ago back then that I did not want to see a nuclear Iran. I cannot remember if I said it here or not, but feel free to search here as well.