1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is 2014 a good year to pick Romo's eventual replacement

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by btcutter, Sep 18, 2013.

1. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,643 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    Manster74 likes this.
  2. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,338 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    he would be setting more than a year. romo just signed a new contract
    to me it's all about whatfalls to you later in the draft. i don't think we will, or should use a top two pick on a qb right now. but if a guy fell to you 3rd or later then i might take a shot. we need help on the dline and we need a guard since waters is not the long term answer. those are bigger needs to me
    BIGDen likes this.
  3. pacy

pacy 82 WITTEN 82

221 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    There is only one and that is Johnny Manziel. No matter what everybody says, that his game won't translate into the NFL, I don't buy that. The guy is special. Look what he did against the Bama defense.
    CowboyStar88 and Carharris2 like this.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,813 Messages
    5,346 Likes Received
    I'd be open minded to it.
  5. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,204 Messages
    606 Likes Received
    Depends on the season, if we finish with a top ten pick it means we had a bad year, likely Romo had a bad year, then yes, move up and take one.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,196 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    Any year you can get a good QB is a good year to do it IMO. People say you can't draft a guy and sit him anymore but I don't believe that at all. I think it's better then it's been in years to take that approach.

GB did it with Rodgers and that worked out pretty well for them.
    Big D likes this.
  7. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,292 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    If you wait much longer, you risk wasting the prime of some of your good young players. With the rookie salary cap, it shouldn't be unmanageable salary wise. And Tony shouldn't be the automatic starter. I would say maybe.
    CowboyFan74 likes this.
  8. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,330 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    Team wont be bad enough (I hope) to get Teddy, but I'd take either Boyd or Manziel. I think the kid has issues but he sure can play some football.
    Manster74 likes this.
  9. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,600 Messages
    3,488 Likes Received
    yes i'm ready.
  10. iowast8rs

iowast8rs Active Member

825 Messages
    229 Likes Received
    It has to be a first round pick, and a high one at that. A proven top pick, and not have us reaching. Second and Third round QBs, in general, won't cut it. And not Manziel.
  11. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,305 Messages
    654 Likes Received
    Yes and yes.

Provision: The QB candidate must be a blue-chipper if he is to taken in the 1st round ahead of an impact-type DT/DE. There should be developmental QBs available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds if a QB is not taken in the 1st.
  12. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,643 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    If someone we like is there I have no problems with picking a QB in the 1st (doesn't matter high or low in the 1st). Good QB years do not happen when you need one. Allowing one to develop behind Tony isn't a bad thing.
  13. Zimmy Lives

5,305 Messages
    654 Likes Received
    Really? You wouldn't have taken Collin Cowlick from the Niners? Mr. Wilson from the Hawks?
  14. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,641 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Carharris2 likes this.
  15. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,712 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    We could have had Wilson, Kap, and a few others out there if we would have done this. Heck, those guys would have won the starting role by now and we could have saved the money we paid a declining Romo.
    CowboyFan74 and CopenhagenCowboy like this.
  16. iowast8rs

iowast8rs Active Member

825 Messages
    229 Likes Received
    I doubt even they knew what they had. If they did, the Niners would have started him, and Wilson would not have started as the 3rd QB. There are exceptions, but for the most part, it would have to be 1st round.
  17. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,572 Messages
    755 Likes Received
    If Romo plays worse than 2012 (which was worse than 2011) then I say, yes. Otherwise no. And Rodgers sat on the bench for three years, not one. Romo also sat for three years, and Rivers I believe sat two.
    CowboyFan74 likes this.
  18. hornitosmonster

hornitosmonster Well-Known Member

3,713 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Pass on Manziel. Bridgewater is the # QB in this draft.
  19. Zimmy Lives

5,305 Messages
    654 Likes Received
    Agree to disagree. This is a pretty deep QB class and there should be some good ones available in the 2nd round if Dallas decides to go d-line first. I'm all for a blue-chip QB in the 1st round, though.
  20. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

2,843 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    We need another TE.