1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is being a top Game Day HC all that important anymore?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by burmafrd, Jun 12, 2014.

1. TrailBlazer

TrailBlazer Well-Known Member

1,781 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    Playing for the division in week 17 and losing and being 8-8 three years running is not something to point to as a reason to support JG. He is the HC, he takes responsibility for the defense too. I know you like to be full of sunshine and all that, but their are better candidates for the job.
    cml750 likes this.
  2. Big D

Big D Well-Known Member

2,261 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    Running the ball on 1st and goal, or when you have a 20+ pt lead, or when you've averaged 7.5 ypc is important.
    cml750 likes this.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,679 Messages
    6,439 Likes Received
    Oh, I've been more critical of the defense than most posters here, by a long shot. And I've always said Jason Garrett is responsible for the defense and that he's dithered on the coordinator hirings, too, and it's hurt us. You guys really need to be able to differentiate when a poster is critical of one area, and not another. That's not the same thing as 'being full of sunshine and all that.' There are reasons we lose games. Some of us like to talk about them. Others like to blame play calling and the quarterback.

But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about game day decisions here. And I'm saying it's the bad defense that's caused us to lose the games and not the game day decisions. And I think that's pretty obvious, both from watching, and then from reviewing the data after the fact.
  4. TrailBlazer

1,781 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    Makes sense. But it's just as important to have a good one now just like it was important 20 years ago. Assistants doing a lot of the play calling, but it's still important to have a good HC that can lead a team and be the boss and pull all the strings as far as gameplanning, game management.
  5. Idgit

30,679 Messages
    6,439 Likes Received
    Yeah. The importance of the HC hasn't changed. Or if it has, it might be more important. I'd just say that my guess is that his individual impact during the game itself is probably less just because decisions are made collectively and with a lot more information than they used to be.
  6. TrailBlazer

1,781 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    Fair enough
    Idgit likes this.
  7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,740 Messages
    563 Likes Received
    So here's a question:

Last years Green Bay game is often held up as a mistake by JG, and I agree with that view. So, if that game is coached by someone like a Jimmy Johnson or a Bill Parcells, do you really think that either of them loose that game?
    tantrix1969 and visionary like this.
  8. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    And you have done a good job of swapping parties. Your conversion to Mr. Sunshine has produced very little substance and a great deal of backhanded insults. Before your conversion, at least you offered some original thoughts and honest debate. If you want to become Holly Homer, that is your choice, but at least bring an ideal or two that offers points to debate. I don't know if you swapped parties by choice or maybe the realist kicked you out, it really doesn't matter. You seem to think the usual suspects are the cause of the Cowboys' problems, but they are the ones that are willing to point those problems out. Kinda like you did at one time.nin your case, you couldn't beat them, so you joined them.
    TheFinisher likes this.
  9. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,073 Messages
    120 Likes Received
    Yes it is.
  10. jaybird

jaybird Active Member

687 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Too-shay, how about knowing when to call a timeout. Or when to focus on runiing game.
  11. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,996 Messages
    1,294 Likes Received
    If the importance of the head coach on game is decreasing, .. then let's decrease his pay accordingly.

Somehow I don't see that happening.
  12. Idgit

30,679 Messages
    6,439 Likes Received
    Hard to say what Jimmy might have done. I think we'd have lost it under Parcells, yeah, though not the same way.
  13. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,729 Messages
    345 Likes Received

Lol id counter you with you are probably the last person to be talking about ignoring tthe good and foucusing on the bad. Im not confuse at all. I know romo has keys to look for thatid built in the schem to audible to another play. I also know if its a time of the game and you want your qb to run and kill clock you tell him not to audible go with the play call.
  14. Little Jr

2,729 Messages
    345 Likes Received

He done nothing to help the d in the past 2 years. His time mgt sucks. His playcalling at end of games suck. His offense went a 1.5 games without converting a freaking 3rd down. He went 8-8 in 2011 with a better d than he had in 12 or 13. He's avg coach at best. Hell his owner says he's a coach in training. The only ones I've seen defend him are people who hate jj so they make excuses for jg and the typical fan boys.
  15. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,722 Messages
    1,584 Likes Received
    Three most important people on a NFL club:
    • GM
    • Head Coach
    • Starting QB
    If you have that and nothing else you probably win 8 games a year.
  16. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    The coaches even admitted afterwards they should have taken off the check option tag.
  17. Little Jr

2,729 Messages
    345 Likes Received

Yeah I always wonder what they admitted to exactly. That they should have done it for the last drive. The last 2 drives or the whole 2nd half? Lol you would think at some point they would realize their qb keeps audibling out?
  18. Idgit

30,679 Messages
    6,439 Likes Received
    So little here to agree with. It's either completely subjective, or it's not particularly relevant (the 3rd down performance), or it overlooks other important factors (the 2011 performance, for example).

And there are a ton of people who still support him, not just in the organization or on this site. See the Aikman quote in my sig, for example. In fact, the only people I'm aware of who have a real problem with him are fans on message boards who can't separate out the reasons teams lose games and so habitually blame the coach or the QB.
  19. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,856 Messages
    2,506 Likes Received
    And the head coach is not responsible for the pass defense?
  20. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,856 Messages
    2,506 Likes Received
    Absolutely not.

Even Troy Aikman has said that that was the worst managed game he had ever seen.

And for those that say I am being negative just to be negative, a Supercomputer calculated our chances of winning that Green Bay game as 99.8%. In fact, no team in NFL history had ever lost a game under similar conditions (score, time remaining, being at home, ect......)

That Green Bay game was truly epic.