1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is Carson Palmer Plotting Revenge on the Bengals

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Hostile, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,869 Messages
    2,646 Likes Received
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...almer-still-hasnt-officially-retired/related/

He has not officially retired. If he shows up before the season starts his salary hits their books. Then they have to decide what to do with him. $11.5 million dollars this year. No practice. No preparation.

Start him?

Make him the most expensive backup in the NFL?

Trade him?

Waive him?

He's going to show up and force their hand. The question is, does Mike Brown order Marvin Lewis to start him and thus undermine his coach and team? I don't put it past him.
  2. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,898 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    Palmer stuck with that team of thugs for a long time, and Brown is being vengeful. I hope it bites him in the arse...

Chad Johnson gets traded to a contender for being a pain all those years and Palmer gets crapped on...

Paul Brown would roll over in his grave if he knew how his son ran this team...
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,028 Messages
    1,889 Likes Received
    Probably, but I doubt he would have differed much in how he treated players with trade demands or salary disputes. Paul Brown was tough about these kinds of situations also. He did not believe in allowing players to make contractual demands on the team. That is where a lot of this comes from. However, he would never have had a team of thugs playing for him. Paul Brown demanded discipline. If you didn't have that, you didn't play for Paul Brown.
  4. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,888 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Show up, "get injured", make $11.5M and screw the Bengals. Do it Carson.
  5. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,624 Messages
    1,157 Likes Received
    Actually I'd find that mildy amusing he he showed up and forced his pay on their books and forced them to make that decision.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,049 Messages
    4,399 Likes Received
    Agreed. I think it was a week or so before they traded Chad that Mike Brown said they are not trading Carson because they expect Carson to live up to and honor his contract...then a few days later trade Chad.

The guy needs to get over himself and just trade the player. That team needs all the help it can get and he is pulling some stubborn headed ego trip.
  7. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Its a tough situation....Palmer didnt honour his contract...plain and simple....you cant hold your boss at gunpoint...

Brown has a right to be angry....the supposed triplets never panned out....and Palmer has been one of the most overrated QB's in this league and has never been questioned. Imagine if he wore his hat backwards? :)

Also I dont agree that Chad was such a trouble maker in Cincy...sure he had those antics after touchdowns...but in the lockerroom....practice field...etc...he was constantly praised for his work ethic.

I guess if Palmer comes back....he would be looked upon as a fool from their fan base. He said he would retire if not traded....and now Brown has called his bluff....so Palmer is going to show up to screw the Bengals with the Cap?

He would be a fool to play that card. Palmer should of just made up months ago and came to training camp.

If Palmer does come back now.....can the Bengals suspend him? etc?
  8. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Go for it.

I don't blame Palmer one bit for wanting out of there.
  9. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree....I dont blame Palmer for wanting out....

But he signed a contract.....extended one I think......and its not like this organization just turned bad the last few years.

maybe its me....I have no sympathy for a player that cashes in on a big contract....puts a gun to the owners head and demands a trade or he will retire.

It puts the Bengals in a no win situation....If Palmer would of kept this all quiet..talked to Brown and the FO about wanting out.....the Bengals then would of had a chance to get some fair value out of Palmer.

But instead...Palmer demanded a trade or I retire.

Brown called him on it......retire then.

Now Palmer ....with all the millions made from the Bengals....his performance never meeting expectations....etc........he want to now...go out and screw the Bengals cap?

Sorry....its a bush league move imho
  10. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,983 Messages
    919 Likes Received
    Palmer needs to stop whining, he hasn't been good for a few years now.
  11. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,838 Messages
    1,644 Likes Received
    .. because owners never fail to live up to the contracts they sign with players .. take Marion Barber for example .. oh wait .. well .. take Roy Williams (WR) for example .. um .. how about Leonard Davis .. ah well .. nevermind.

#reality
  12. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,274 Messages
    583 Likes Received
    I forgot what his status is. Is he on an injury list? If not then can he be fined right now for not being in camp?
  13. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,457 Messages
    2,849 Likes Received
    Disagree completely. That team has been hot garbage on a tin roof. You put Carson Palmer in a good situation and he'll be fine.

Who bets that San Francisco trades for him?
  14. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,812 Messages
    4,887 Likes Received
    Could the Bengals suspend him without pay?
  15. Hostile

118,869 Messages
    2,646 Likes Received
    Had not even considered the "injury" angle of this.

Mike Brown, he has you if he wants you.
  16. Hostile

118,869 Messages
    2,646 Likes Received
    He is on the Reserved/Did not report to camp list. So that means he is still under contract if he shows up and subject to $30,000 per day in fines. But he does not care about the fines. He wants out.

He can force their hand here.
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    I've been wondering if he was going to do this.

Just hang on long enough and then force the team to either trade you or cut one of the other QBs, something they probably won't want to do.
  18. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,777 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    It seems like Carson Palmer quit on his teammates and his fans in Cincinnati. If he hated Cinci so much, he shouldn't have signed his big contract. He was/is getting paid beaucoup money even though his performance was questionable often.

Maybe there are some extenuating circumstances that we don't know about, but it seems like Carson Palmer threw the team under the bus.

Troy Polamalu is probably the most upset. Carson Palmer usually throws him a couple of gimme INTs every year, sometimes even pick sixes.
  19. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,118 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    couldn't they fine him for each day he missed?

edit: already answered
  20. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,983 Messages
    919 Likes Received
    He's been part of the reason why they have been hot garbage. Palmer's performance has been average at best since 2006.