1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is Charles Woodson too expensive?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by johnnygt, Feb 15, 2013.

1. johnnygt

johnnygt Member

82 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Just wanted some thoughts. Can he help? Can we afford him? Would you want him? Packers just released him.
  2. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  3. Proximo

Proximo Well-Known Member

1,076 Messages
    726 Likes Received
    Would most likely be too expensive anyway, but it would interesting to see him at safety in our new defense.
  4. Titleist

Titleist Active Member

541 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Too old and too expensive!
  5. FloridaRob

FloridaRob Active Member

1,430 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    I watch all Packer games. Charles has not lost a step he has lost about three steps. It is a young mans game and Charles while a great leader and ambassador is not the same Woodson from even three years ago. Not sure he gets what he wants. It was time for the Packers to make a move. Their safety position has not been strong since Nick Collins got hurt.
  6. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,604 Messages
    1,480 Likes Received
    Charles Woodson has had a great run. Really, can any defensive football player in history claim a run quite like he has:
    • 1st primarily defensive player to win the Heisman trophy
    • Leader of a National Championship winning Michigan team
    • NFL Defensive MVP
    • Superbowl Champion
    • Played on another Superbowl team
    • Screwed out of a third superbowl appearance by the "Tuck rule"
    • 6 AP All-Pro Teams
    • 8 Pro-bowls
    • 59 Interceptions, 11 for TDs
    • 29 Forced Fumbles
    • 17 sacks
    For his sake, I hope he hangs it up. It's never fun to watch a former great player at a greatly diminished level at the end of his career.
  7. Shiloht88

Shiloht88 Benched

64 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    To old, to expensive we need help on the lines before we worry about getting another db.
  8. Cowboy_Shawn

Cowboy_Shawn Active Member

587 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    And too injury prone at this point in his career.

This deserves a ......

:madden:
  9. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,467 Messages
    458 Likes Received
    Richard Sherman was pitching hard for Woodson on NFL radio. Seemed to think he would be missing piece for that team (Seattle).
  10. johnnygt

johnnygt Member

82 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    see that does not work here. I didnt say give up Dware romo and 2 first round picks. I see what you tried to do but fail.
  11. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,822 Messages
    1,759 Likes Received
    He has lost 3 steps, but would beat out Sensabaugh any day of the week.
  12. johnnygt

johnnygt Member

82 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Just to clarify, I never said i wanted him but, if you get on this site for 5 minutes, our team has zero players who can play safety. Now i would think personally his name will fetch to much of a cost even if he hadn't lost several step. Anyway just wanted to see what everyone thought because per cowboys zone our safeties are garbage. thanks for the input
  13. johnnygt

johnnygt Member

82 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    ^^^^this is what i wanted to know... Thanks. Although like I said above I imagine to costly.
  14. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

2,258 Messages
    525 Likes Received
    Dallas wants to see what Matt Johnson can do along with a healthy Barry Church. And Sensabaugh is still a starter right? So where would Woodson fit?
  15. Bane

Bane New Member

25 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    He would be nice to have from a leadership standpoint, but I think the way to go is to build our defense through the draft. Garrett has shown to be able to pick up some very solid players in the last few years such as Murray, Lee, and Carter so I think we should conttinue to build through the draft, including in the secondary. Despite his gameday coaching issues, Garrett has proven to be able to select solid talent in the draft, I just hope he can continue that and put it all together on Sundays
  16. johnnygt

johnnygt Member

82 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    very nice response
  17. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,593 Messages
    286 Likes Received
    If the dude is pushing 40, how is he going to be expensive? We have seen this recently with Dawkins, or Sharper, they are not amazing in the final years.
  18. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I would definitely welcome him at the safety position for a couple seasons, having a guy back there with excellent ball skills would be cool, but I doubt very seriously we would be interested. We need all the money that is freed up to go towards the trenches.
  19. Bane

Bane New Member

25 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Exactly, even if we do have the cap space to sign somebody like Woodson, that money would be better spent on the defensive line because, in my opinion, a safety can only do so much if the defensive line is unable to provide adequate pressure on the quarterback. Almost all NFL quarterbacks can find holes in the defense no matter how good the coverage is if the defensive line can't get pressure on him.
  20. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,591 Messages
    1,400 Likes Received
    A Charles Woodson who has lost 3 steps is still head and shoulders a better safety than anyone currently on the roster. With that said Jerruh's probably not interested and the feeling is probably mutual from Mr. Woodson.