1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is Dont' a Hightower the next Ray Lewis?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by AMERICAS_FAN, Apr 8, 2012.

1. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This offseason has been interesting. Early draft talk centered around DeCastro, who would be a fantastic pick. Now talk centers around Mark Barron who could shore up Dallas' defensive backfield. But the guy nobody is talking about is OLB/DE Dont' a Hightower.

I'm posting about Hightower because this is the player I want Dallas to draft. This guy is such a game changer that he'll be a great value in the draft. And he's a leader, with the kind of leadership ability that guys Dlike Ray Lewis command.

I think Hightower is the kind of guy that can come into this Defense and take it over as a rookie, and become the team leader as the season unfolds.

What do you guys think?
  2. JPostSam

JPostSam Active Member

992 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    isn't he considered an ILB?
  3. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Hightower is a funny player in that he has been projected at ILB, OLB and even DE.

I know some are down on him right now because he did very poorly on agility testing and in the linebacking drills on his pro day. Some feel that he has never recovered from his knee injury back in 2009.

He is an intriguing player if you are looking for an ILB with some blitzing ability and can live with the poor coverage skills he is likely to have.

He is probably not a good pick for us because we are full at ILB now (too full for a first rounder anyway) and I don't think he is ideal for our SOLB opening.
  4. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Hightower Ray Lewis the same way Bradie James is.
  5. CowboyHawg2012

CowboyHawg2012 New Member

65 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    he's my choice too. DeCastro, Barron, Hightower and i'd be happy. those guys or its a gonna be a lousy lousy day for me
  6. VICTOR710

VICTOR710 Member

92 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :cool:
    This.
  7. CowboyHawg2012

CowboyHawg2012 New Member

65 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Day 2 for me needs to be one of V. Curry, Hosley, Jenkins, Zietler, Konz, Silatolu, Osemele. based on what we do in the first of course
  8. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

2,951 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    I don't think he gets enough credit for how fase a pick he would be. I think he is the second safest pick behind Decastro. He may not turn out to be elite, pro-bowl material but, I think you have a day one 10 year starter who wouldn't be any drop-off from James at the very least. He doesn't have the athletic ability of some of the other guys but he is such a pure football player and so versatile that the possibility for him to have some elite years is there.
  9. cdewsxzaq

cdewsxzaq Member

127 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I would love the Hightower pick. He brings so much versatility to the defense. He could play inside (on running downs for sure), he could rush the passer from the outside, spell Spencer/Ware, or even put his hand on the ground in 4-man fronts at DE. I think he would be an amazing addition to Rob's defense, you could line him up in 6 of the front 7 positions at any given time.

...Also, we could probably trade down to the 18-21 range and still land him.
  10. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,613 Messages
    1,935 Likes Received
    I think you're thinking of Courtney Upshaw.
  11. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,579 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    I wanna like him.

But I don't. Don't like the way he moves. I see Bradie James.
  12. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

926 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    I hope he is our first pick but this board has already made up its mind on DeCastro and Barron(I think we will take Cox which is a good second choice). This guy may be available in the low twenties and I think he will be one of the better defensive players of this years draft. He is the Tyson Chandler on defense, come his way as long as you can pay the toll and everyone walks with a little more swagger.
    "His linebacker skills are lacking maturity because, he has changed positions just about every year he has played. At this point his impact position is as a OLB/DE in a 3-4 defense, but he will also impact as a OLB in a 4-3 or DE in a 4-3. Dont'a should impact right away as a pass rusher and if you keep his assignments simple for awhile, he should impact as an OLB also. Think Derrick Thomas (former LB/DE Kansas City Chiefs)" Huddlereport

Wish I could find that article about his tears curing cancer but I seem to have misplaced that report.
  13. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    No, I never wanted Upshaw.

It is what I remember hearing from his Pro day that the scouts thought he lacked the mobility to play LB. This was surprising to me because I thought he moved really well on the football field. However, if he is as slow and stiff as they claim him to be he would be a major liability in pass defense in this system. His short shuttle was only 4.64 and 3-cone drill was 7.55 that is too slow for a good edge rusher and pretty slow for an ILB. Lots of people complain that Dan Connor was too slow for an ILB but he ran the same 40 (4.68) as Hightower but had a short shuttle of 4.25 and a 3-cone drill of 6.78.

I could see him following the path of Brandon Spikes who went into the draft process as a mid first rounder but ended up being a late 2nd rounder to the Pats.

I just don't think he fits with us due to limited athletic ability/stiffness.
  14. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    He had the mobility skills of a DE, not a LB.

He may be best off bulking up a bit to play DE in a 4-3 defense which plays some 3-4 where he flexes out as an OLB. I just think he will get eaten up in coverage here and doesn't have enough burst/agility to be an effective edge rusher.
  15. cdewsxzaq

cdewsxzaq Member

127 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    ... Too bad nothing can make him cry.
  16. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,345 Messages
    365 Likes Received

Yup, but I still luv the guy!
  17. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,226 Messages
    3,047 Likes Received
    I second this.
  18. cdewsxzaq

cdewsxzaq Member

127 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    ... I don't know about anybody else, but I would love to draft a LB this year that will lead the team in tackles and be the heart of the defense for the next 5 or 6 seasons. I would like to have a 24 year old Bradie James back on the team.
  19. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sean Lee blows Bradie off the field.

No matter how one spins it Bradie was always a liability who other teams couldn't wait to attack.
  20. cdewsxzaq

cdewsxzaq Member

127 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Sean Lee definitely blows Bradie off the field now, in 2012. Bradie James led the Cowboys in tackles for 4 or 5 years in a row. That doesn't sound like a liability, it sounds more like he would stop the play if it came his way. Sure he's not the player he used to be (he lost a step or two), but let's not act like he was never any good.