1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is Garrett off the hot seat?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Arkyvarminter, Dec 20, 2012.

1. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,722 Messages
    1,061 Likes Received

/thread
  2. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Active Member

940 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    I get the feeling Jerry is tired of the coaching changes and believes in Garrett. I think he's going to stick with Garrett. If Sean Payton becomes available I don't know if Jerry will go after him or not. I know many think he will but Jerry seems to be content with Garrett.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,889 Messages
    5,509 Likes Received
    I don't think he was ever on Jerry's hot seat but the fans'.

He'll be right back there too if they miss the playoffs. Especially if they drop both games.
  4. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Active Member

940 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    That's really what I was referring to...The fans
  5. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,055 Messages
    446 Likes Received

Great post.

refer to: great post
  6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,157 Messages
    1,336 Likes Received
    Ratings down. Ticket sales down. Team lousy and having all the classic signs of a poorly coached team have all been forgotten about for now.

2 weeks of miserable football and he's in boiling water.

Jerry can't sale Garrett to the general Cowboy fan if we do the Cowboy tank job.

Plus the guy has coached 2 good games this year.. Steelers and Giants.
  7. Risen Star

19,889 Messages
    5,509 Likes Received
    Well then my answer would be yes, for now.

Two weeks from now they may be packing his bags again.
  8. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,856 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    no offense but fans are largely too goofy to take seriously.

coughlin has been fired by giants fans about 3 times. usually right before he wins a super bowl.

i wouldn't waste air nor brain cell on fans takes.
  9. Risen Star

19,889 Messages
    5,509 Likes Received
    If he can sell himself as the GM and his son as the VP of Personnel, Garrett's an easy sales pitch.

The informed fan knows this team has a serious talent issue up front that must be addressed before we're serious contenders. No matter how frustrated we get as fans.

He is a lock to be the head coach next year. Regardless of what happens the next two weeks.
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,856 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    all that would be fine except it isn't gonna happen in two weeks. this team is the hottest team in football right now winning 5 out of 6. 2 losses wouldn't be a collapse but an expected 8-8 season full of injuries.

had this team finished 6-10 then yes the seat would be hot and jerry might have trouble selling tickets.

instead? this team is likely going to have ANOTHER nationally televised game.

2 more losses and fans are heartbroken but still willing to see this team next year with romo, dez, murray, lee, carter, carr, claiborne et al.

garrett and this team have gained a ton of experience in close games. there is little reason to fire him and think he can't improve upon what has been a great turn around. we have the most dire injury situation of anyone outside Indy and are fighting for a playoff berth.
  11. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    He was never really on it. It was all reactionary media nonsense.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,032 Messages
    1,595 Likes Received
    I have said from the get go you hire a guy as HC you should at least give him 3 years to get things turned around.

Not a Garrett groupie I would say that about any HC that is hired.
  13. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,708 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    If we completely collapse the next two weeks, he'll be fired. If we are at least somewhat competitive, he'll have another year.
  14. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,812 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    If we get embarrassed by the head coach-less Saints at home and then lose to the Redskins again like we did the first time, he may get canned depending on who is available to replace him.
  15. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,211 Messages
    753 Likes Received
    He was never on it.
  16. Omegasupreme

Omegasupreme Member

248 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This is a more realistic perspective, IMO. I agree too that the Giant and Steeler games showed a team well prepared, attacking and a step ahead of the opposition. I thought the Atlanta game was also fairly strong for 3 quarters and then the finishing strategy was non-existent.
    Looking at Greg Schiano, who is also a new NFL head coach, there is no waiting or gestation; he immediately grabbed his team and pushed them. You can see his value in the games and leadership.
    Other than the last Steeler game, Garrett has not shown it to me. I hope he plays all his games forward like the Steeler game; if he does not, I doubt he will last.
  17. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,558 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    Garrett was never on the hot seat.

If Payton by some miracle really does become available, Jerry might go after him. But that would be about Payton, not Garrett.
  18. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,157 Messages
    1,336 Likes Received
    Yep. Most of the time Garrett's presence isn't felt in a positive way.

It's usually just everyone waiting around for Romo to make a play.
  19. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,091 Messages
    1,944 Likes Received
    I gotta say, I'm surprised how down you are on Garrett.

I see a Cowboy team that has shown more intestinal fortitude than any Cowboy squad going back to the 3 SB's in the 90's.

I also see a Cowboy team that has had to play more defensive players than any Cowboy team going back to 1989.

I also see a Cowboy team that was without its starting running back for more than a 1/3 of the season. In addition the starting offense line got to play together for a whopping 6 quarters.

On top of everything else the team had to survive the in-season death of a teammate at the hands of another teammate.

To not be able to "see" Garrett's influence... Wow!

Go back and watch the first 8 games of the 2010 season if want a quick comparison.
  20. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,157 Messages
    1,336 Likes Received

The whole injury thing really isn't much of an excuse to me unless it's your quarterback who is injured. We're not the 1st team to have success with injuries while still getting good QB play.

3 of these 5 wins came against crapola teams. 4 of those 5 wins we have been sloppy and made the game harder then it had to be.

The Steeler game was a thing of beauty. We came out prepared and put together a really nice game for a change.

Not sold on Garrett at all. I like what he did against NYG and Pitt. I'll give him some credit for his coaching outside the game vs CIncy.

All we have seen is unprepared & sloppy football for the majority of Garretts tenure. Hopefully its behind us.