1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is it a forgone conclusion that the Colts would take Luck?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Manwiththeplan, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,133 Messages
    322 Likes Received
    Just humor me for a minute. Peyton Manning is in his 14th season and up until this year, has been the most durable QB, not named Favre. He still plays at an elite level, and could play for another 5 or so years. Just for comparisons sake, here are the ages/year a few other QBs played till (and at an elite level).

Brett Favre (19 NFL seasons, age 41)
    Dan Marino (17 NFL seasons, age 38)
    John Elway (16 NFL seasons, age 37)

Manning turned 35 in March, so he *may* be able to play at a high level for another 4 or so years, give or take 1. I'd even argue that you have a better chance of getting 4 more years of a "great" Peyton Manning, than Andrew Luck being the next "great" QB.

So if the Colts get the #1 pick do you think they would take Luck or possibly trade with another team, get multiple #1 picks and possibly have a shot at Manning getting 1 more before he retires.
  2. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,503 Messages
    589 Likes Received
    Imagine a team being lucky enough to be able to grab the most polished "can't miss" QB to come out in since Peyton Manning. This after grabbing the most polished "can't miss" QB to come out since Aikman.

The Colts should know what a special QB can mean to a franchise since they have only had two losing seasons under Manning since 1998 (one was his rookie year). Nah, you don't mess with that type of karma. Take the guy who could be the centerpiece in another decade of high level football.
  3. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,889 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I think Manning is done. And even if he isn't done, how well did the whole Aaron Rodgers deal turn out for the Packers? He was able to learn from Farve for a few years and is now one of the best QBs in the league.

If they don't take Luck they'll regret it forever IMO.
  4. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    they would be fools not to. to draft the best QB to come out since the last time they drafted a QB right after a rookie wage scale is implemented making it easier for teams to actually develop a QB and it just so happens that your team sucks without that once a generation QB who hasn't missed any games in 12 years misses an entire season.(deep breath) the stars are aligned on this one and if peyton is done then great you have another franchise QB to step right in and hang your hat on and if he isn't done your QB of the future who would probably do just fine on his own now gets to learn from one of if not the best to ever play the position.
  5. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,212 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    If you think Aaron Rodgers learned from Favre then I believe you are mistaken. Favre had no interest in teaching the kid anything.
  6. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,652 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    I don't think there is a guarantee that if the Colts draft Luck they keep Manning. They can save a whole lot of money by cutting Manning.
  7. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,027 Messages
    769 Likes Received
    Unless the team who gets the number one pick has a QB in his early 20's who has already shown flashes ........ they would be stupid not to take Luck.

That includes the Cowboys.
  8. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,966 Messages
    764 Likes Received
    I'm sure he learned a lot from Favre even if Favre wasn't trying to help him.

[Rodgers watching the game and jotting in his notebook] Don't make that throw. Don't make that throw either. Definitely never make that throw!
  9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,027 Messages
    769 Likes Received

:laugh2:
  10. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,966 Messages
    764 Likes Received
    Hmm, here are the 0- and 1-win teams.

Miami: Henne? Take Luck.
    Indy: probably take him, but it depends on just how good the trade offers are.
    Jacksonville: Gabbart? Take Luck.
    Denver: Tebow? Take Luck.
    Philadelphia: Vick? Take Luck.
    Minnesota: McNabb? Take Luck.
    Carolina: They would have to trade the pick, at this point.
    St. Louis: Bradford? Tough call.
    Arizona: Kolb? Take Luck. Look stupid either way.
  11. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, I think they will take him if they have the opportunity. They might not know for certain whether Manning will be able to play in 2012 or even ever again by the time his roster bonus is due (March I think), so there is a chance they cut Manning, which would be weird but not totally out of the realm of possibility.
  12. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,914 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    They'd trade Manning for multiple picks and have Luck.
  13. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,914 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    St.Louis should not take Luck.
    Carolina should not take Luck.
    Detriot should not take Luck.
    Atlanta should not take Luck.

Every other team in the league should.
  14. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would draft and develop him for a couple of years. If Manning is still going strong and Luck has looked good in his preseason games, trade him. He will return huge dividends on the investment.
  15. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You've got a perennial All-Star center in David Robinson. Should you take Tim Duncan if you get lucky in the NBA draft lottery? You've got 4 or 5 more good years with David...

Same exact scenario.
  16. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,133 Messages
    2,331 Likes Received
    Wow.

That's exactly the same situation that came to my mind. Get out of my head!
  17. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Those were the droids you were looking for.
  18. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,039 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Colts should definitely take Luck, if possible, (as should a lot of other teams) if he were to drop in their lap.

You cannot blithely count on someone coming back from back surgery so easily. Everyone I know who had back surgery had/has complications from it. Even if Manning does come back for a year or two, the chances of him getting knocked out for a good chunk of those seasons are higher the older and more injured he gets.

It also reminds me of the declining Aikmann years. It was evident to some the Aikman was starting to have physical problems. It would have been a smart thing to prep a decent QB to follow him. The Colts system is not one that just plug in anybody and work.
  19. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    just for grins, how many and what round are the picks you think the colts could get for manning?
  20. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,652 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    I don't think it is. The Spurs didn't have to sit Duncan behind Robinson to develop. They could both be on the court at the same time and helping the team. You won't see both Manning and Luck contributing at the same time. The tricky part is figuring out how long you sit Luck before he starts getting anxious to see the field.