1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is Jerry feverishly planning his GM escape?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Jan 28, 2013.

1. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,134 Messages
    1,204 Likes Received
    Jerry is in an all-out sprint. The ghost of Al Davis is chasing him with a chainsaw.

I giggle at the hopeful debate among Cowboys fans about who is calling the coaching shuffle shots these days, as if history never happened and football sense resides in Jerry's pickled melon.

Hello, McFly....

No, I'm not saying Jason Garrett wasn't in the room when these coaching decisions were bandied about. Sure, I can buy that he wanted Ryan gone, too, particularly if the work ethic rumors were true and given the "unsoundness" of his scheme, according to many a trusted guru I pay credence.

But I'm pretty dadgum sure he didn't want to can his brother, nor do I know why Boniol earned his ire or why DeCamillis wanted out so badly last year and now. And you know Garrett especially doesn't want to toss his playsheet with Jon Gruden's staff circling him at Valley Ranch, many of which have manned a sideline in his very spot. The kitchen's got a bunch of head chefs these days.

What and how and why all this is happening, really, is irrelevant. Perception always trumps reality, whether or not they are one in the same, which in this case, almost certainly is.

Garrett's best hope to pull all this off, as moribund as it sounds, is that the cred among players remains from his brilliant handling of the death of Jerry Brown. He carried the team on his shoulders through difficult days, and those left on the roster next year won't forget that. Leaders shine under such circumstances, and Garrett shined the brightest.

Jerry couldn't have done that. No way. Here's hoping the players keep that in mind after Jerry's "uncomfortable" guillotine spree.

Playing to Garrett's favor is also the sad public tailspin of Jerry, who yet again thinks furiously muddying up the water will mask and evade 16 year's of crystal clear documented truth. Desperation oozes from the man, who looks more and more ready to find a trap door somewhere. He just looks uncomfortable.

Yes - and I may be out here on an island with Tom Hanks and Wilson - I think Jerry is looking for a way out of the GM fray. There, I said it. Burn me in effigy if you must. I could be wrong, but my gut says Jerry's tiring of the charade.

Pride, of course, won't let it be on our terms. It won't come with admittance or public intervention. Short of a Super Bowl appearance, there won't be a finite moment or trumpet fanfare to stamp the occassion.

What Jerry needs is a playoff game, preferably two, and he needs it pronto. Another plunge into quarterback hell will only elongate the wait and punctuate his scorned legacy. That last Super Bowl with Deion is fading into pre-High Definition obscurity. A whole Ray Lewis career ago. RGIII was five years old.

Jerry knows this has to happen under Romo's watch. It would bode nicely if Garrett was here, too, but as the odometer piles miles on Romo, that's not a must. Gruden is a call away, and it might fix Romo asap if needed. Jerry's seemingly playing a handful of cards all at once.

Winning once emboldened Jerry to do scary bad things. Now, I think it might just provide the opportunity for him to surreptitiously step into the football background, smug mug intact.

So cheer Garrett and your Cowboys like your life depends on it. More is riding on it than a singular season of wins and losses.
  2. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    So you are saying Garrett threw people under the bus ?

Did they truly deserve it ?

Did he do it to save his own butt ?

Lots of questions from me...but no answers.

Reality is that makes zero difference if there are still lingering problems.
  3. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,134 Messages
    1,204 Likes Received
    No, I'm saying Garrett had little say, in fact.

And believe it or not, I think the Cowboys have FEWER issues to solve in the offseason than your Redskins. Just watch. I think your Skins are in for a steep decline next year with a year's worth of tape on RG3 (who struggled throwing often), and an aging defense.

Dallas' issues are more addressable, if Jerry didn't throw this thing into chaos too much. (Which is always possible.)
  4. SkinsandTerps

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Ok fine with the Garrett part.

The Redskins part is similar as far as injuries. The Redskins have more issues ?

Not really. The Redskins have more depth. They have holes same as any team, but they do have better depth I should say instead of more.
  5. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

1,837 Messages
    996 Likes Received

:lmao: :lmao: :bow:
  6. Disturbed

Disturbed A Mere Flesh Wound

1,448 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I think we should all cheer on the Al Davis Ghost with the chain saw. Please catch Jerrah and stop the madness. I don't know how many more years of losing I can take....
  7. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,048 Messages
    2,591 Likes Received
    Man, we need to start winning.
  8. SkinsandTerps

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Been saying the same thing about my team for years.

I guess we can all go with Hos' old sig..."Embrace The Hate".

It get frustrating.
  9. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,963 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    doesn't matter. they'll just find something else to hate.
  10. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,655 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Unfortunately, that won't pacify most of the posters here. :(
  11. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,634 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Another erod, I hate Jerry thread. Award winning writing, tbh.
  12. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,155 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Unless Jerry was recently diagnosed with a terminal disease, then him giving up GM won't happen for about 10 years at least.
  13. Disturbed

Disturbed A Mere Flesh Wound

1,448 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    If the Cowboys could win something then he might "officially" pass the GM duties to his son Stephen Jones (who helps in this area now). But JJ ego must be seen as successful and going out on top.
  14. Pokeness

Pokeness Member

141 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    That's about the best way I have heard that put!
    :bang2:
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,732 Messages
    5,265 Likes Received
    Feel free to break down the rosters of both teams to prove that.

Not that I think the Cowboys have depth. I just don't believe the Redskins' roster is any better.
  16. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,645 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    Uh, yeah...that will change things around here. :cool:

The fans of this team lately cannot wait till Jerry takes a dirt nap and Romo gets traded for a 7th round pick. However, there will be 50 more reasons to complaint about "the team they love/like".

I think iceburg calls them the IGS, and I agree with him. Some people are A types and some are B types. It's the B types that holler the loudest.

Now, I don't like everything about this team for the past years, but, I'm not going to close my eyes and hold my breath, or post the same drivel day after day after day.

Winning it all is not going to "pacify" some of the posters around here. It's the cool "thang" to sport the Jerry avatar, and say the same thing win or lose.

;)
  17. Risen Star

19,732 Messages
    5,265 Likes Received
    You're right. It takes a real ingrate to be disgruntled after 17 years of losing.
  18. iceberg

27,963 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    look at the past. even when winning we had to have some whipping boy to trade or hate on a regular basis. so this has NOTHING to do with the tried and true worn out to death "17 years" battlecry.

it's just a statement of fact. some people just need someone to hate or "want gone".
  19. Risen Star

19,732 Messages
    5,265 Likes Received
    I don't remember all this "hate" when we won.
  20. iceberg

27,963 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    it has gotten A LOT louder to be sure. glee clubs and their anti-jones mantra is quite amazing. but there's always been a player of hate on the team the generalized fans want gone.