1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is McCain against stem cell research?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by JBond, Sep 23, 2008.

1. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    I just listened to an add here in KC on the radio that featured someone who has a child with diabetes say that is why she is voting for Obama.

I know this is a side issue for most, but when did McCain say he was against private stem cell research? I know most people are against harvesting fetuses for those type of stem cells, but when did McCain say he is against private research, especially of other types of stem cells?

Not sure that many will respond, but I wanted to throw out another example of Barack lying his you know what off.
  2. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,707 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    He's officially for it according to what I've read. The question is which one...

My guess is that he's against Ebryonic Stem Cell research, while being supportive of Adult Stem Cell Research...
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,792 Messages
    2,861 Likes Received
    It depends on what week it is and if his base is for it or against it.

He flip flops about as much as Kerry did.

Not that Obama does not as well.
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,549 Messages
    3,399 Likes Received
    McCain Runs Pro-Stem Cell Ad, While Campaign Website Criticizes Research Involving ‘Human Embryos’»

Conservatives have long disguised their disdain for embryonic stem cell research, the most promising type of stem cell research, by saying they support the practice only in the form of “adult stem cell research.” “Say, yes!,” the Family Research Council tells conservatives to say when asked if they support stem cell research.

In a new radio ad out today, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) dubs himself and Gov. Sarah Palin as the “original mavericks, stating that a McCain-Palin administration would enthusiastically support stem cell research:
    They’re the original mavericks. Leaders. Reformers. Fighting for real change. … John McCain will lead his Congressional allies to improve America’s health. … Stem cell research to help free families from the fear and devastation of illness. … Change is coming. McCain-Palin and Congressional allies,
    Listen here:

The ad, however, makes no mention at all of “embryonic” research. In 2007, McCain specifically praised this practice, stating, “embryonic stem cell research…holds the best opportunity to relieve the pain and suffering of Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, all these terrible debilitating diseases.”

On his website, however, McCain says he will “strongly support” scientific studies that do “not involve the use of human embryos“:
    As president, John McCain will strongly support funding for promising research programs, including amniotic fluid and adult stem cell research and other types of scientific study that do not involve the use of human embryos.

Where federal funds are used for stem cell research, Senator McCain believes clear lines should be drawn that reflect a refusal to sacrifice moral values and ethical principles for the sake of scientific progress, and that any such research should be subject to strict federal guidelines.
    In a 2006 gubernatorial debate, Gov. Palin said, “no, stem-cell research would ultimately end in destruction of life. I couldn’t support (it).’” The 2008 GOP platform included language calling for a ban on “all embryonic stem-cell research, public or private.” It seems that the “original mavericks” are using a tried right-wing tactic of disguising their opposition to embryonic research with rhetorical tricks.

UpdateThe USA Today reports this morning:
    "We've always been a little concerned that Senator McCain may have voted for this, but would he be there in the long term when he is the president of the United States versus just a senator?" said Rep. Mike Castle, R-Del., who supports McCain but advocates the research. [...]

Those who oppose the research are also uncertain.

"He seems to be moving away from that position, but we currently have not heard he's changed that position," said Colleen Parro, executive director of the Republican National Coalition for Life.
    http://thinkprogress.org/2008/09/13/mccain-stem-cell-ad/
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,549 Messages
    3,399 Likes Received
    My opinion: he's for embryonic stem cell research.
  6. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,676 Messages
    436 Likes Received

I am all out of Mock Outrage ...... ran out when ESPN was talking about the Cowboys before Sundays game.
  7. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,792 Messages
    2,861 Likes Received
    Meh...for some reason the Bspn and other sports media has never bothered me much. Galloway used to until I emailed him a few times.

I actually find it more annoying listening to cowboys fans crying over what BSPN says.
  8. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,665 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    There is a bit of haze about the subject. When GWB was running the Dems used he is against Stem Cells adn the truth was he was against harvesting new embryonic stem cells, ie through abortions and cloning. IIRC McCains stance is similar, in the ad he is using the same smoke that the democrats are blowing by saying stem cell not just not what type. IIRC also while embryonic stem cell research may be more promising they haven't made any break throughs yet for treatments like they have with adult stem cells.
  9. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Thank you WoodysGirl. I knew I could not believe the add on the radio by Barack. I thought Maverick McCain was for government funding of stem cell research. I'm not sure why Obama would openly lie about McCain's view. He really is starting to sound desperate. Reaching for that change I guess.
  10. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,010 Messages
    1,031 Likes Received
    preach it brother paint, preach it. one big reason i avoid the cowboys forum these days. even when winning peoples tirades go on.
  11. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,010 Messages
    1,031 Likes Received
    hey, i think people know i'm pretty conservative, but i'm also science minded. if God gave us this ability to figure it out, why shouldn't we? is this any different than a painter who can paint? singer who can sing? hooker who can hook? (seeing who's paying attention here).

if we have the ability to understand our own bodies more and provide ways to resolve things that we *can* resolve through research and understanding, i say go for it. no i don't want to kill anyone to get there but i don't think that's the case is it? (so much going on i just can't keep up these days).

i think science and religion are closer together than most people on either side would want to admit. if God is real his evidence is out there. all around us. science won't take that away but help us understand and get closer.

to my way of thinking anyway. but when science disproves tradition all hell can break loose.
  12. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He has been in the past, but he's faced a lot of pressure from pro-life advocates to abandon the embryonic stem cell stuff and focus only on stem cells that do not necessitate the destruction of life.

I believe that he (hopefully) is moving in this direction.

I know Palin doesn't support embryonic.

I don't know of anyone who doesn't support ethical stem cell research, though. He should be focusing on that in his ads, campaign position, etc. That's a winning issue.
  13. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  14. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I've had too many people in my life die or be affected by diseases that could be cured by stem cell research and I don't care if the cure comes from embryonic or adult stem cells.

OBAMA '08
  15. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "Imagine that you are creating a fabric of human destiny with the object of making men happy in the end giving them peace and rest at last, but that it was essential and inevitable to torture to death only one tiny creature ... And to found that edifice on its unavenged tears: would you consent to be the architect on those conditions? Tell me, and tell me the truth!"

-- Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov
  16. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    +10 for a Dostoevsky quote, a very relevant one at that. Personally, I'm against abortion and I feel that it is, in most cases (I would exclude rape situations), morally wrong. I take a pro-choice stance on the basis that I believe a total ban, that wouldn't take into consideration circumstances such as rape, would also be morally irresponsible. I would also worry about a law that allowed abortion only in rape cases as it could create a system filled with false accusations and unjust imprisonment of alleged rapists, when really the mother is just gaming the system to get rid of a child she doesn't want. That said, when done strictly as a method of birth control, I consider abortion to be absolutely reprehensible.
  17. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,508 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    http://townhall.com/news/religion/2008/08/26/alternatives_make_embryonic_stem_cell_research_obsolete

WASHINGTON (BP)--Scientists continue to deal blows to the campaign for embryonic stem cell research, some by shifting their allegiance to a more ethical form of experimentation and some by discovering new means of creating stem cells that do not harm donors.

more in article

Its really somewhat dated news already, but MSM and left need the issue kept alive......somewhat along the lines of Abortion.....its one of the absolute planks of the left platform........

They whine about 6000 deaths in the War on Terror and battle for Iraq......but in meantime comense the deaths of 1.5 million per year via abortions.....
  18. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,611 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    I'm sorry sir but that is hubris, the great hope placed in embryonic stem cell research is as untested and vague as Barack Obama himself.

It is not some miracle cure poised to banish Alzheimer's and cancer from the human race, two afflictions I have personal experience with in my direct family so I empathize with your pain but let us be reasonable and truthful.

By all means experiment with non embryonic stem cells, clone them and do what you will with them but don't practice another form of abortion, one that has no proven benefits that can't be gained from other stem cells.
  19. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,665 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    Embryonic stem cells are the hot button topic, even though its ice cold research. More people today (at least 1) are saved by adult stem cells then they are embryonic (zero)
  20. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,571 Messages
    1,663 Likes Received
    Bingo. Pure, unadulterated demagoguery.