1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is OL really that bad?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jrcowboys, Feb 14, 2013.

1. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,608 Messages
    2,485 Likes Received
    I think Cook was awful. He got stood up a lot and showed limited quickness even in the box he was given. When DT are in the backfield it is hard to run the ball.
  2. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,487 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    I think it was his ability to pull that impressed me. I remember seeing him pull on a few sweeps and really doing a good job. That may be his only strength.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,858 Messages
    1,698 Likes Received
    cook was at least decent pass blocking - that was about the limit of what he was good at
  4. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,403 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    I'd think that better guard play will make a pretty big difference. I hope that half of that comes with a high draft pick who can start day one.

I thought Livings looked better than Berny, but that sure isn't a universal opinion. One thing about Bernadeau, he probably has a bigger upside than Livings. He was coming off injuries and surgery, so maybe he is more solid if he gets to the season healthy. With Livings, what we saw is probably more what we'll continue to see. He got smoked by quickness too often.

I'd expect that we'll get an OT in FA as a backup/insurance if Parnell can't cut it (and I thought Parnell looked pretty good in his audition late in the year). I'm expecting Costa, Kowalski and Berny to fight it out at center.
  5. rwalters31

rwalters31 Active Member

503 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    You are wrong! It is that bad! So bad that Romo is dead man walking just waiting for the time to go down with an injury. Neeeeeeeed three OL in the center of line.
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,746 Messages
    5,904 Likes Received
    Cook played all but 3 (13 of 16) games at Center. He was decent in pass-blocking. Maybe as good as anybody; however, his run blocking is terrible. He is too tall to consistently play with good leverage and too slow to get to many blocks in space.

Costa played 1 game (Baltimore) and the run blocking looked great; however, it was just 1 game AND he has had multiple injury issues in his short career.

Bernadeau played 2 games at Center. I made a post about my review of his 1st start at Center in week 11. He was really impressive at Center. Having the ball in his hands an knowing exactly when it would be snapped seemed to help him.
  7. xwalker

13,746 Messages
    5,904 Likes Received
    Just having Parnell replace Free will be a big upgrade, IMO. He is big with long arms and is both quicker and stronger than Free. He just needs to keep getting experience. Having a veteran RG next to him will be critical, IMO.

At Center they must replace Cook to have any chance of a decent running game. Cook was good at pass-blocking but just can't run block. He has issues with leverage due to his height and he is very slow footed. They have options with Costa, Kowalski and Bernadeau.

Either Livings or Bernadeau could be serviceable Guards if they were on an OLine with 4 really good players; however, in 2012 they were on an OLine with a terrible run-blocking Center and a big mess at RT in Doug Free.

The minimum upgrade OLine this year would be better than the 2012 OLine, IMO.

Minimum upgrade OLine:
    LT - Smith
    LG - Livings
    OC - Costa/Kowalski
    RG - Bernadeau
    RT - Parnell

Adding 1 good OG would be the next step. Cooper or Warmack in the draft would be instant upgrades.

Since Free Agency comes before the draft, I would really like it if they added RG Brandon Moore (Jets) in Free Agency. That would give them a solid veteran next to Parnell that is an expert in Callahan's scheme. It would allow Bernadeau to get into the competition at OC which appears to be a better position for him.
  8. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,267 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    The OL was not that good, because the right players were not in the right spot, or healthy to play.
  9. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,403 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    Hey xwalker, if we draft a guard high (say Cooper), where would you put him? At LG, moving Livings to RG next to Parnell and let Bernadeau compete at center?
  10. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,997 Messages
    2,024 Likes Received
    no you read right. bernadeau struggled some but not as bad as livings. livings was a disaster. a former scout in broaddus agrees.

Posted from Cowboyszone.com App for Android
  11. ak47kaehu

ak47kaehu Active Member

314 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    If it was as bad as most of you say it was then romo would be dead and would not have thrown for almost 5000 yds!
  12. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    That is more a credit to Romo's ability than the O-line. He was running for his life every other play. Luckily, there probably isn't a better QB in the league at escaping pressure in the pocket than Tony Romo.
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    Yep. Starting day 1 of free agency.
  14. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,946 Messages
    1,390 Likes Received
    Other than Smith yes the OL was absolutely terrible. It needs to be upgraded in a major way.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,858 Messages
    1,698 Likes Received
    31 in the league in rushing
    27 in the league in rushing TDs
    20 in the league in scoring in the Red Zone (and that with one of the best kickers in the NFL last year)

Unable to score more than 10 points in the first half all season.

Romo on the run most of the time.

Yeah the O line was that bad and unlike some I really doubt that letting them play together longer will do much to improve things- not when most of your starters are JAGs.
  16. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    That sums it up right there.
  17. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

971 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Luckily, he has great footwork to make the line better than it really is. If he had the scrambling ability of Peyton, he would be dead and not throw for close to 5000.
  18. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    The scary thing about our OL is, I don't think Jerry is gonna make a lot of changes. He believes our OL has talent.

Not sure what games he was watching from the pressbox but he must have been drunk.
  19. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,558 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    At least 2 and as many as 4 of the starting Olineman should be backups.
    Berny or Costa at center is possibly serviceable.
    Free needs to be...freed. The Parnell will be a wildcard. I'd prefer if he were a backup.

But the big problem is at guard. We may have the very worst guard combo of any team in the entire league.
  20. xwalker

13,746 Messages
    5,904 Likes Received
    Exactly. I play the draft pick at his college position. For Cooper or Warmack that would be LG. Livings would need to move to RG.

I don't know if you saw it, but I made a post about my review of Bernadeau in the 1st game where he started at Center (week 11). He was very impressive. I definitely think he is better at Center than at Guard. I believe it is due to him knowing exactly when the ball is going to be snapped.

My top preference would be Brandon Moore (Jets) at RG, but I'm doubtful that it happens. Livings appears to be another player with a guaranteed base salary for 2013.