1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is Spencer gone in a move to the 4-3?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by perrykemp, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,831 Messages
    1,087 Likes Received
    No one is above being removed when you're 8-8 annually.
  2. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    He's a goner.
  3. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,167 Messages
    1,106 Likes Received
    Because Spencer last played DE in 2006 -- 7 years ago.

He has literally played 7000 or so snaps as a standup 3-4 OLB since then.

I'm not sure this is like riding a bike...
  4. Nunez21

Nunez21 Active Member

244 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    DE in college and in nickel in the NFL if he comes back he'll do fine. I also think he can be used as an OLB like in NY like mentioned already.
  5. perrykemp

5,167 Messages
    1,106 Likes Received
  6. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,235 Messages
    1,325 Likes Received
    Spencer is more like 270 but more to the point, DWare is taller and liter then Spencer so I don't fully understand why you think Ware would work but Spencer would not?
  7. perrykemp

5,167 Messages
    1,106 Likes Received
    Do I think that Spencer could probably be a OK to above average 4-3 DE. Yeah sure.

Would I sign him to a 4 or 5 year contract extension with major guaranteed money that would put him at $10m/year only to convert him to a 4-3 DE.... no way.

I doubt he'd even want to be converted -- often players resist these kinds of moves.
  8. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,867 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    I wish people would stop saying this, because it just isn't true.

He may not be worth the amount of money he wants due to age/prior playing level.

He may not be a good value considering how much we are paying Ware.

And eventually time may tell that it was the correct decision to let him walk.

But it won't be because we couldn't afford him, it will be because we chose to go in another direction.

Adam has already alluded to the cap not being an issue this offseason, despite all the reports out there, so if we don't resign Spencer, it was a choice, not our hand being forced.
  9. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

2,888 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    Is it even a question? Anthony Spencer will not be a Dallas Cowboy next year.
  10. goshan

goshan Active Member Zone Supporter

1,869 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I personally think Spencer is a better OLB than DE. So he is gone.
    He plays better in space and his versatility is a real strength.
    He isn't worth 10-12M as a DE.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,235 Messages
    1,325 Likes Received
    Adam listed Spencer as a cut so yeah, I expect that he would not be a problem.

I think it comes down to this. We can't sign Spencer and extend Romo. That's not going to happen so I guess you probably have to pick one or the other. In Adam's breakdown, he did not include Romo's extension so far as I can tell. I think you have to look at it and ask yourself if you would want to pay 11 Million for a Run Stopping DE in a 43 or not. Somebody who is running a 34 is going to be willing to pay him to play OLB IMO. I guess We'll see.
  12. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,428 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    We are in serious cap trouble this year. There's no way we can afford to franchise him for 10.7 for one year. The only way he stays if if we sign him to a 5 yr deal to spread out the hit.
  13. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,960 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    Spencer will flourish in a 4-3... He's explosive and powerful off the edge with his hand in the ground.
  14. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,708 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    What?
  15. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,220 Messages
    3,042 Likes Received
    Don't believe the "articles" claiming to know the Cowboys 2013 salary cap status.

The Cowboys are always over this time of year. After they restructure and/or extend contracts the numbers will completely change.
  16. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,124 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Spencer is a DE. Thats his natural position. He played that in Purdue. And played it well.
  17. Star Guard_31

Star Guard_31 Active Member

205 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Where do you get 270? The team, nfl.com, and ESPN all list him between 250-257.

I can't speak for the OP but I agree with his point. You can cheat and shade a DT closer to help out an undersized DE. You can shift your LBs or bring up a safety to deter the offensive from running at a single undersized DE, but when you have both DEs ends that are giving up 80-90lbs to the OT in front of them manning the perimeter of your front 7 then you're asking for trouble. We would have the lightest starting DEs in the league with Ware and Spencer. We wouldn't have to worry about teams torching us through the air because they'd be running off tackle for 150 yards a game.
  18. perrykemp

5,167 Messages
    1,106 Likes Received
    2006 is calling and they want their DE back.

:rolleyes:
  19. perrykemp

5,167 Messages
    1,106 Likes Received
    I think you can get away with Spencer OR Ware at DE but not both unless you are willing to play a wide 9 type of scheme.

Since we know Ware isn't going anyway, that likely means Spencer is a goner.
  20. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    If we're playing 4-3 his duties greatly diminish and that 10M per year gets a lot harder to hand out. Ive been a huge Spencer supporter as an OLB, but as DE I think he becomes a lot more replaceable. Let him walk and fill the gap at 1/2 the price and use some of that $ to fill other holes.