1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is Spencer gone in a move to the 4-3?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by perrykemp, Jan 10, 2013.

1. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,133 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    You need all the bonafide pass rushers you can get. This plus it gives you flexibility to play both the 3-4 and the 4-3 depending on who we get at NT/DT. Sims is also a candidate to get resigned. He could flourish as the WILL position in the 4-3 and teaming him up with Carter and Lee and that would make our front seven a lot faster. That would limit our needs to DT and NT which could be interchangeable depending on the front we choose.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,942 Messages
    1,207 Likes Received
    with the cap NOT GOING UP FOR SEVERAL YEARS that makes things different.

We cannot keep pushing money to the future. With Romo's extension and Lee and others coming due in the next year or two we cannot afford to keep spencer.
  3. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,089 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    Even if Spencer is back, I wouldn't hesitate to draft another pass rusher in the 1st or 2nd round. In fact, I'd say it's a MUST either way. Ware is getting older, it's not like we're already there in regards to having a good DLine. We need a stable of pass rushers
  4. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    He was playing a ton of snaps in a 3 point stance as a 4-3 DE last year.
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,801 Messages
    1,603 Likes Received
  6. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

12,853 Messages
    606 Likes Received
    I wonder if this is an attempt to put more speed on the field to combat RG3 and the pistol.
  7. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,124 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Spencer will be signed
  8. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,832 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    Extending Romo would save a ton of money on both this year's and next year's cap, so if anything, If we extend Romo, resigning Spencer becomes easier.
  9. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,587 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    The cap hasn't been an issue and won't be an issue, although Dallas might use it as an excuse if it doesn't re-sign him.

There are so many ways to manipulate the cap.
  10. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Spencer is a solid player, but it is time to move on & use that money elsewhere, whether it be dt/og...Crawford will be the other DE & I could see us making our 1st round DE or Safety
  11. Manwiththeplan

4,832 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    I honestly can't see any reason why Kiffen wouldn't want Ware and Spencer at both DE spots.
  12. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

800 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    I think well franchise him again. He can play defensive end.
  13. Manwiththeplan

4,832 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    where did he list Spencer as a cut? He alluded to us not being hindered by the cap and said he wouldn't address it till we were eliminated, but I haven't seen anything else from him cap related.
  14. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,587 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    Frankly, I think that's the way to go. Dallas can use the year to find out how he handles DE before committing to him long term.
  15. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,112 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    Not sure if he will be back but Spencer would be just fine playing DE. In fact he would be very good at it.
  16. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,422 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    You disagree that we will have problems doing what we need to do because of cap constraints?? Franchising Spencer again would hamstring us.
  17. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,422 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    It's not the "articles". It's the 5m penalty. It's potential dead money from other players we let go. It's desperately needing to get better in other spots like the OLine. If we put 10.7 mil on one player for one year, that will limit anything else we can do in FA. We can't just throw the franchise tag around and think that it won't have a big impact in many other spots that need help.
  18. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I can't imagine you keep a guy for years, wait for him to finally turn into a big-time player, and then let him leave.

I think Spencer stays in Dallas.