1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is The Cowboys Thanksgiving Day Monopoly In Danger?

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by sonnyboy, Nov 21, 2005.

1. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Every Thanksgiving I have to hear the same s--t about how this is an advantage for us and why do the Cowboys always get Thanksgiving why isn't it rotated?

Mind you that this from bitter Cowboys Haters who will do anything to tear them down. And in thier rant Detroit is never mentioned.

However, I am concerned. I wish for the Cowboys to remain America's team and believe the Thanksgiving Day exposure is a sutle but significant long term factor. I just have a bad feeling that it won't last. That the non stop league wide conspiracy against our Cowboys will sometime soon rip this game away from us.

So here are the questions:

How have the Cowboys managed to keep this game so long?
    How much of a benefit to the whole league (ratings) are the Cowboys in this spot?
    Will and how may the game be taken away?
  2. TheHustler

TheHustler Active Member

5,391 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    IIRC Detroit had a Turkey Day game for a long time, the NFL wanted to add another, no one else stepped up, so we took it.

Now they whine and whine.

Cowboys are always one of the most watched games, regardless of day/time, I expect Turkey Day games are no different.

They'll never take the game away from us.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,530 Messages
    3,835 Likes Received
    Dallas made a deal with the NFL when no one else wanted to play the game. The one catch was Tex demanded it be permanent
  4. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,942 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Detroit has traditionally played on Thanksgiving for a LONG time. The NFL was looking for a team to play a second game and Tex Schramm jumped at the opportunity.

No other teams wanted to do it on a yearly basis. After the popularity of Dallas, other teams wanted the game so in the late 70's they tried it for a couple of years but it didn't go over as well...

With the popularity of Dallas I doubt the game leaves us for a few more years...
  5. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,185 Messages
    510 Likes Received
    Well, back in the day when they first wanted to set up games for Thanksgiving, no one wanted to be part of it. Only the Cowboys and Lions volunteered.

Since then, the Cowboys and Lions were handed permanent status on Thanksgiving. After all the other teams realized the advantage of a captive tv audience, they wanted in as well. No dice. They had their chance. They blew it.

I don't think there's anything in the works to change that.
  6. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,700 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    The game can be taken away....but I guarantee you that about 95 percent of the NFL teams and players don't want to play on Thanksgiving.

Dallas was the only team that wanted the game when it was suggested.

I am not sure if it is a benefit to the whole league for Dallas to play, although it probably attracts more of an audience than Cleveland would.

Ultimately, I am not sure that there is a big benefit for Dallas to have the game. I would not shed a tear if we lost it.
  7. Cowboy Bill Watts

Cowboy Bill Watts Member

706 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    1. i think that the lions and cowboys agreed to play on thanksgiving when no one else wanted to. tex schramm recognized the national exposure available there, and agreed to do it. now that the cowboys have realized great success from it, everyone wants on the bandwagon.

2. huge. win or lose, good season, or bad -- the cowboys are a draw. think national audiences would tune in to see cleveland vs chicago on thanksgiving?

3. having the game taken away is always an issue. i view it as unfair. dallas agreed to play it when no one else wanted to. why change the rules in the middle of the game, so to speak?
  8. HoustonSucks

HoustonSucks Active Member

681 Messages
    192 Likes Received
    The worst that could happen is they add a third evening game where the teams switch every year. I have no problem with that.
  9. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks for the imput I feel a little better. I'm 36 and statring following the team in 1977. However, I guess I was to young to realize or remember that they actually had the game removed for a couple years.
    Did Detroit still play? Who did play?
  10. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    how bout the st.louis at houston or new orleans at the jets. i doubt even the player's wives would watch that on thanksgiving
  11. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,930 Messages
    1,511 Likes Received
    The only person to really ever whine about it is Lamar Hunt. He is just envious. He got run out of Dallas by the better franchise. Or should I say, he ran away from Dallas. No one seems to remember that. They criticize other owners for moving their teams, but Hunt did it, too. He gets a free pass.

I think I mentioned this before. Back around 1994 or 1995, Sports Illustrated had a little snippit on their NFL page. It was after the owners meeting and they were trying to take a jab at Jerry Jones. It mentioned how Jerry Jones millionaire partied in first class while the classy Lamar Hunt billionaire sat quietly in coach on the trip back to Dallas. If I had a billion dollars, I too would enjoy first class. What a cheap guy. I also heard that Hunt is trying to land a Superbowl and milk the city out of millions of dollars. Also, rumor that he may move the team if renovations or a new stadium doesn't get done.
  12. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,192 Messages
    7,009 Likes Received
    Actually that's what I've been reading...

They are looking to add a thurs night game... I'm not sure about the status of this w/the new TV deal.
  13. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It just would not be right if Dallas was not on Turkey day.
  14. trickblue

28,942 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    The Detroit Lions have played more Thanksgiving Day games than any other NFL team (65) dating to 1934. The Chicago Bears won that first Thanksgiving Day classic, 19-16, with a national radio audience listening on 94 stations carrying the game coast to coast. The Dallas Cowboys began their Thanksgiving Day tradition in 1966 with a 26-14 win over the Cleveland Browns.

NFL games have been played annually on Thanksgiving since the 1934 Lions-Bears matchup, except from 1939-44, when the series was interrupted due to World War II.
  15. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,185 Messages
    510 Likes Received
    I used to consider the Thanksgiving game a very important one ... that's before DirecTV and the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Here in NY, I was guaranteed two NY Giants games, one or two MNF games, a Sunday night game, and the Thanksgiving game.

But with DirecTV, it doesn't matter anymore ... I catch every single game out there. Oh yeah!!!
  16. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would shed a tear. It's one of the quirky things that makes us special (although I guess Detroit could feel the same way...)
  17. trickblue

28,942 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    except for the fact that they have the fan appeal of a hangover... :D
  18. Glenn Carano

Glenn Carano New Member

574 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No way! I'm all for a third game, but Dallas should be one of the teams playing in primetime. We're the biggest draw, we should play at night. Rotate teams at the 4 O'Clock timeslot. All that, plus there's nothing to do on Thanksgiving night, except sit around with family and watch bad TV or a crappy college game. Some bars are open as well. Also, that 4 O'Clock start some years has overlapped dinner and I'm always the first one to excuse myself from the dinner becasue the game is on.
  19. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,892 Messages
    389 Likes Received
    it's not gonna change for a couple of reasons

1= not many coaches want to play on the short week
    2- the nfl is about ratings and dallas has the best
    3- the nfl is big on tradition
  20. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,530 Messages
    3,835 Likes Received
    Works out great for me. I'll drive to Dallas Thursday Morning, have Thanksgiving Day dinner at the hotel and then off to the game.