1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Is There a Draft in Here?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Hostile, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,073 Messages
    3,037 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Apparently there is, or I am Mocking someone. :D

So, I'm stuck at home with nothing to do today. That means Mock.

First Free Agency. Fiammetta and Robsinson are returning for me. Exiting stage left are Spenser, Brooking, James, Kosier, Holland, Elam, Bennett, Dockery, Ball, Newman, Buehler, and Kitna has retired.

Bringing in Carl Nicks, D'Qwell Jackson, Lardarius Webb, Laron Landry, and Jason Campbell.

#14. David DeCastro, OG, Stanford, 6'5", 315. Make no mistake about it this is the perfect fit. He is a monster. We need monsters. The interior OL is the weakest part of this football team by a wide margin. Yes, weaker than the secondary. Adding some beef up front keeps out QB upright and opens lanes for Murray to grind teams to powder.

#45. Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska, 6'4", 290.
    Has a great motor and is best suited to play DE in a 3-4 scheme. Will apply pressure. Never stops coming.

#82. Jayron Hosley, CB, Va Tech, 5'10", 175. Could rise on Draft day if his measureables at the Combine impress. If he doesn't this is a steal. He is a top return man and plays hard physical football on every play. Is a ball hawk, and is good at knocking passes away.

#113. Nick Foles, QB, Arizona, 6'5", 240. No idea why he dropped on so many Draft boards but I will take him in the 4th with no hesitation at all. In fact, if taken in the 2nd I won't be shocked. Is a natural leader with good accuracy. Will have to work on taking snaps under center, but that is easy.

#144. Hebron Fangupo, NT, BYU, 6'1", 330. A massive space eater who bulldozes blockers to collapse pockets. Plays with a mean streak and if beaten on a play comes back strong the next play. Takes it very personal. I like that.

#175. Jerry Franklin, ILB, Arkansas, 6'1", 240. Needed depth at ILB combined with a love of the game. Franklin is an outspoken team leader who practices hard, plays hard, and gets the job done without being flashy. A sure tackler with good football instincts.

6th Round Supplemental Pick...Donte Paige-Moss, OLB, North Carolina, 6'4", 260. My pet cat. I don't expect him to make it in time for Training Camp, but if he was healthy this kid is a 2nd or 3rd round talent easily. Worth the gamble.

#206. Rhett Ellison, TE, USC, 6'5", 250. A solid blocker and a decent receiver. Fills a need.
  2. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    I like the Crick pick. Would be nice if we landed all those FA's. I'm not that optimistic though.
  3. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

941 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    I really, really, really want Crick at 45. Great mock.
  4. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,034 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I took Webb off my want list because he is restricted, which means to me that we won't go after him.:(
  5. mrmason67

mrmason67 Member

71 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    The other picks are good, but I don't like this pick.

#113. Nick Foles, QB, Arizona, 6'5", 240. No idea why he dropped on so many Draft boards but I will take him in the 4th with no hesitation at all. In fact, if taken in the 2nd I won't be shocked. Is a natural leader with good accuracy. Will have to work on taking snaps under center, but that is easy.

Replace with:
    Jake Bequette
    Kendall Reyes
    Chandler Jones
    DeJohn Harris
  6. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nice thread title.

One of your givens in this mock is the signing of Nicks. If that weren't to happen, what do you do? Pick up another vet G, or dare you draft G again? .... a new scenario to consider for your next mock?
  7. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,631 Messages
    3,154 Likes Received
    I like the mock Hos.

Except for the Foles pick.

He's simply not mobile nor does he have the arm strength IMO.

I'd rather have guy who's mobile, and I'll take a lower completion percentage if I can get a higher ypa than what Foles comes with.
  8. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    I like your mock but as another poster said Webb is a FA so he will be off the list. Also I would not want Landry due to him being too injury prone. I don't think Hosely will last to the third but he is great value if he does. Love the DeCastro pick and he would be my no.1 choice even if we get a guard in FA.
  9. Hostile

119,073 Messages
    3,037 Likes Received
    The nice thing about the off season is there are so many options available. So many directions to think about. I do believe Nicks is a target for several reasons. First, I do not believe the Saints can keep enough money free after they sign Brees to add another big contract. Let's not forget, Brees was one of the plaintiffs in the CBA case. His contract is going to be a monster. I won't be shocked by 25 million per year or more. Makes it kind of hard to pay Nicks.

Second, Dallas has a huge need at interior OL and cap space where they do not need to wrap up a key Free Agent.

Third, Nicks is 26, played college ball in the Conference that surrounds the Dallas area and for Bill Callahan. There is a comfort level.

But he's hardly the only option for us. We could draft Two Guards. In Free Agency there is still Ben Grubbs, Chad Rinehart, Deuce Letui, and Chilo Rachal, who I think got the bum rap in 2011. I even think Dan Connolly from the Patriots might be a decent option since they put so much into Mankins.

As long as we fix the interior OL I think we're the best team in the NFC. If we don't, we won't be. I don't care what else we do, fix that we move to the top of the class.
  10. Hostile

119,073 Messages
    3,037 Likes Received
    Bequette was my pick until the last minute.

Oh, and I still love the idea of Brandon Boykin and Ryan Broyles, but only wanted one injured player (Moss) in this crop.
  11. Drule

Drule Benched

1 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I really see no one I want
  12. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    I would love for this to happen. I don't see Hosely lasting that long and I don't see us acquiring that many FAs. But, man, would I love watching this occur!
  13. Hostile

119,073 Messages
    3,037 Likes Received
    I think Hosley could climb too. But he is rated exactly at 82 on CBS which is the scouting site I used for that mock.
  14. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,091 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    Webb is just not an option. He's going to cost us a lot + draft picks. Also, signing a top guard in FA and drafting 1 with the 14th is just overkill. We could fill another need and let the young guys we already have battle it out.
  15. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,437 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Of my fifteen positions "needs attention" list, this only leaves questions at Spencer's OLB spot, center, and third offensive tackle.

The Cowboys probably think they have answers to those three questions on the current roster.

Paige-Moss would be available by the second half of the season?
  16. slick325

slick325 Well-Known Member

1,936 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Once again a solid mock. Addresses needs and it lands players who can contribute right away (all but Foles and Paige-Moss). Regarding Paige-Moss, allowing him to "redshirt" 2012 could payoff huge in 2013.......he can really play. Amazing how many good players UNC produces (Bruce Carter will impress many once he hits the field) and the football program is never elite.
  17. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received

I'd be thrilled if we grabbed him at 45. I'm biased as a VT alum and fan but I've seen that guy just flat out take games over.

On edit: But I take your point -- he hasn't flown up the boards yet so 82 is fair enough at the moment.
  18. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,036 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    Love the second round pick. That would be a very nice fit.
  19. Hostile

119,073 Messages
    3,037 Likes Received
    Truth be told, Hosley and Boykins are the 2 CBs I want most, and part of it is their return abilities, but mostly it is their fire for the game. Of course, it is also about me wanting DeCastro more than any other player in this Draft.
  20. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    what injury put him out most of last year? Knee I believe...if it's an ACL I'd like to go another direction. Foles: who knows with QB's: I'll defer to Hos here as he's seen him play alot: he got beat out by Cousins whom I prefer, but this is where lots of guys go with the player they are more familiar with IMO...I do like ALL the other picks though.....