1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

Is this Miles' last year

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by lqmac1, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

82,535 Messages
    6,101 Likes Received
    And with Dez coming up for contract I think it is reasonable to look at a trade while you can get something for him. Dallas trading avg players for 7th rd picks is alright but to make a bigger splash in the draft then it takes someone of talent that you are willing to trade. Of course his value will be tied to his perfomance this season. I like Miles a lot but given the fact Dez will likely see a very big contract it just may be in Dallas interest to look at a trade possiblity after this season.
  2. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin

12,088 Messages
    401 Likes Received
    Not even being "Miles' #1 fan" I think that the way the contract is structured will have him here for quite some time. Through next season is almost a guarantee as we would only save 400K by cutting him prior to the 2015 season.
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

56,626 Messages
    9,071 Likes Received
    Really?
  4. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Remember all those awesome restructurings Jerry and Stephen did to clear cap space that made them so smart? Remember how the salary cap doesn't matter?

Well this is how it happens. The Cowboys turned a reasonable contract that paid Miles $4-6 million per year and restructured the hell of out it. Over the last 3 years it's been restructured to pay him only $2-3 million dollars and all the extra money was pushed into 2014 and 2015.

You never get a free lunch, now you have to pay up for the restructurings you made earlier. This is why constant restructures are killing this team. Whether you keep him or cut him, most of that $8.5-$10.5 million is going to hit your books since it's all "restructured" money not real money. You have to eat it whether Miles is on the team or not.
  5. Doomsday101

82,535 Messages
    6,101 Likes Received
    I would not want to cut him but I would look to see what I could get via a trade. granted that depends on how Williams comes along but with Dez contract looming why not look for a fairly high draft pick to help to continue to build this team. I am in no way some anti Miles fan, I like the guy and I think he has very good talent but then again only way you get something via trade is by giving something via trade.
  6. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,886 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    IF Miles is healthy and contributes. No way this better not be his last season here.

Dallas has made this mistake with Jimmy Smith and Alvin Harper. Can't make it again...
  7. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

22,673 Messages
    2,406 Likes Received
    If he plays well and they want to keep him they will restructure by turning his salary into bonus. If they decide to release him they won't restructure and the salary saved will help offset the cap hit they would be taking. This is how most all of their contracts are being structured these days so that they have flexibility on keeping/cutting guys.
    Erik_H likes this.
  8. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member

3,431 Messages
    710 Likes Received
    I might be with you on Smith, but Harper? Think he might have had 50 receptions total after he left.
  9. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

10,710 Messages
    1,631 Likes Received
    That's really what it comes down to, health. He's been a great compliment to Dez this preseason because he's been healthy, and I don't think Dallas will cut him if he stays that way.

The eventual hope has to be that Williams will overtake him, simply because Dallas will have to get younger at the position. I don't expect that to happen for a couple years, though, unless the injury issue resurfaces.
  10. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

7,724 Messages
    1,323 Likes Received
    I think its adios if his hamstring acts up again,that will be 3 straight years in a row.
  11. Doomsday101

82,535 Messages
    6,101 Likes Received
    I guess i don't get the 2 view cut or keep when there is a 3rd option. Miles is under contract and will be for the next 3 years why would I cut him if I could get something in return for him. I hope he has a great season then I would at least put it out there to see what we could get. I watch teams like NE let a guy go who is still productive and get picks in return to help continue to build.
  12. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

4,534 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    there are about 25 million reason$ to keep him...his cap hit would be ugly
  13. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,886 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    Mostly just because there was a little chemistry forming there with Harper. I think he complemented Irvin well. But, he went for money. In no way shape or form was Harper even close to what Smith was.