1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Israeli soldiers' shirts joke about killing Arabs

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by TheCount, Mar 23, 2009.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    JERUSALEM – Israeli soldiers wore T-shirts with a pregnant woman in the cross-hairs of a rifle and the slogan "1 Shot 2 Kills," adding to a growing furor in the country over allegations of misconduct by troops during the Gaza war.

"The smaller they are, the harder it is," says another shirt showing a child in a gun sight. Soldiers wore the shirts to mark the end of basic training and other military courses. They were first reported by the Haaretz daily.

The military condemned the soldiers involved, and it was not immediately clear how many wore the shirts. They were not manufactured or sanctioned by the military, and it was not clear how widely they were distributed.

The shirts "are not in accordance with IDF values and are simply tasteless," the military said in a statement. "This type of humor is unbecoming and should be condemned." The army said it would not tolerate such behavior and would take disciplinary action against the soldiers involved.

Haaretz showed pictures of five shirts and said they were made at the unit level — indicating that they were made for small numbers of troops, perhaps several dozen, at a time. It said they were worn by an unknown number of enlisted men in different units. The Tel Aviv factory that made many of the shirts, Adiv, refused to comment.

Few people in the Palestinian territories appeared to be aware of the T-shirts. In Gaza, Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum said it "reflects the brutal mentality among the Zionist soldiers and the Zionist society."

Hamas-controlled media consistently glorify attacks on Israelis, and cartoons in Palestinian newspapers frequently use classic anti-Semitic images of Jews as hook-nosed, black-hatted, wily and unscrupulous characters out to rule the world and oppress Arabs.

The Islamic militant group's TV station ran a children's show in which a Mickey Mouse knockoff fulminated about Israel before it was killed by a purported Israeli agent. Hamas also mocked Israeli suffering over its attacks, staging a play about its capture of an Israeli soldier in which it makes fun of the serviceman crying for his mother and father.

Israel's military has come under increasing scrutiny after unidentified soldiers alleged that some troops opened fire hastily and killed Palestinian civilians during the Gaza war several months ago, including children, possibly because they believed they would not be held accountable under relaxed open-fire regulations. The military has ordered a criminal inquiry into soldiers accounts published in a military institute's newsletter.

On Monday, the military chief of staff, Lt. Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi, defended his troops.

"I tell you that this is a moral and ideological army. I have no doubt that exceptional events will be dealt with," Ashkenazi told new recruits. Gaza "is a complex atmosphere that includes civilians, and we took every measure possible to reduce harm to the innocent."

The three-week Gaza offensive, launched to end years of rocket fire at Israeli towns, ended on Jan. 18. According to Palestinian officials, around 1,400 Palestinians were killed, most of them civilians. Thirteen Israelis died, three of them civilians.

Hamas and other Palestinian militant groups fire rockets from heavily populated areas, and Israel says Hamas is to blame for the civilian deaths because it leaves the military no choice but to attack them there.

U.N. human rights experts said Monday that Israeli soldiers used an 11-year-old Palestinian boy as a human shield during the Gaza offensive. The military ordered the boy on Jan. 15 to walk in front of soldiers being fired on in a Gaza neighborhood and enter buildings before them, said Radhika Coomaraswamy, the U.N. secretary-general's envoy for protecting children in armed conflict.

Israeli army spokesman Capt. Elie Isaacson denied that the military used human shields, saying "morals and high ethical standards are paramount" in the army.

Uzi Dayan, a former Israeli deputy chief of staff, said he was "shocked but not surprised" by the T-shirts.

"I spent many years in the army and I know that if you don't pay attention all the time, these things can happen. These are very young people in a combat situation, so you need to have a finger on the pulse," he said.

American troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have also come under criticism for heavy civilian casualties in those wars.

The Israeli military misconduct allegations have struck a nerve in Israel where the military is expected to observe a higher moral standard.

"We have to face this challenge, not because we're the most moral army in the world, but because there are democratic norms and laws of war that we have to keep, and because we want to win and continue living in a democratic society," Dayan said.

-----------

Long read, I know. I guess this is what happens when you require people to serve in the army, and a lot of them haven't acquired the maturity level to grasp the situation, they are just doing it because they have to.
  2. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    "Arab leaders fiery sermons talk seriously about killing Jews."

Google that and see what comes up.

I don't have much compassion for the sensibilities of the people offended at these T-Shirts.
  3. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Agreed. I could care less about those offended by the shirts.

You have soldiers wearing some joke of a t-shirt and that is supposed to somehow be more offensive than the crap these Arab leaders spew?

Please. :rolleyes:
  4. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    No picture?

Seems like that would be easy to fake.
  5. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Probably not the greatest PR move by the IDF.
  6. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,357 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    would an arab wearing a t-shirt mocking killing an american pregnant woman be deemed offensive or in poor taste? just wondering :rolleyes:

for the record i would say it would be before i'm accused of america bashing
  7. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Agreed.
  8. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Hey Count, do you have the link? Thanks.
  9. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,451 Messages
    230 Likes Received
  10. zrinkill

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
  11. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    No, it would be deemed par for the course and typical behavior of extremists...
  12. ethiostar

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    What is it that makes them look 'American'? Just out of curiosity.
  13. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,451 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Don't look at the pictures, read the article.

The IDF has already confirmed that they're real:

14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Sure thing: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090323/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_israel_army

Should have included it.

I don't think the point is to compare the two, really. Like they said, it's not about the Israeli having the most moral army in the world.

I also bolded the part where it says most people didn't seem to even be aware of the shirt, so for all we know, it could be just a small group of idiots.
  15. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received

At least the IDF denounced them. A certain portion of the population wherever you go are idiots. That applies to IDF as well.
  16. zrinkill

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    American sense of humor.

Like the "Kill'em all and let God sort them out" saying.
  17. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,357 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    good to see you keeping an open mind and not branding an entire race as one and the same. fail to see anything acceptable about joking about shooting a baby in the womb, surely at the very least its as has been said on here a bad pr move?
  18. zrinkill

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    So how many "soldiers" were involved?

The pic you linked looked like an add from one of those Online Joke t-shirt companies.
  19. ethiostar

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Yep, there are always those who give their group a bad name, whether that group is defined based on nationality, ethnicity/race, religion, gender, etc....
  20. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,357 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    thing is though with the americanisation of the world ie hollywood movies, american tv shows, brands like coca-cola, macdonalds etc you find things like that popping up everywhere